Fat Bar Recommendations?

N

Newt

I'm looking for a good Olympic bar with a 2"+ diameter to work my grip. I am interested in any and all veteran Sherdogger feedback regarding best brand/location for best quality/price? Thanks in advance!

Cheapest:
FAT OR GRIP BAR
These have knurling. I'd probably stay away from the tube versions (they seem a bit light), but would feel fine about he solid ones.

Standard axle (no knurling):
Apollon's Axle™-Ironmind Enterprises
2" with no knurling is the standard bar used in strongman contests.

Cost no object:
Black Iron Strength

Piedmont Design Associates also make thick bars and axles, but I'd only buy a bar from them if I wanted specs I couldn't find somewhere else.

What specific lifts are you looking to use the thick bar for?

I'm thinking about getting 3" diameter olympic dumbell handles from APT, either the FBBB or the IWF. about $130 plus collars, IWF includes shipping, not sure about the FBBB. Btw I don't have a home gym or space for one so a BB would be impracticable.

Try E-Bay or Craigslist. You never know, you might get it for cheap.

Cheapest:
FAT OR GRIP BAR
These have knurling. I'd probably stay away from the tube versions (they seem a bit light), but would feel fine about he solid ones.

I have this tube one and we've deadlifted over 500lbs on it with no trouble at all. I've also dropped Mid 200's from above my head with barely any guidance down while ****l plates are on it and it was still ok. I wish it didn't have knurling on it though.

I'm looking for a good Olympic bar with a 2"+ diameter to work my grip. I am interested in any and all veteran Sherdogger feedback regarding best brand/location for best quality/price? Thanks in advance!

Newt-

I bought an 8 foot stick of 2" cold-rolled solid steel round bar for $117 after tax locally, and it doesn't show any sign of bending with 540 in plates on it. The bar itself weighs 85 lbs. Check your yellow pages and call - I was surprised- they only want $40.00 for a 7-foot stick of 1" stainless solid round bar, to replace my old bent standard.

I have a solid steel bar its 7 feet long and 50mm diameter (yes I realise those measurements are imperial and metric).

Its my yoke bar I have had 406kg on in with not even a slight bow. It cost me about $120 to have made. The bar weighs 33kg.

Cheapest Price - me.

Here's what I have if you're interested pm me and i'll give you the hookup.

Dumbbell handles (olympic size)

2"
2.5"
3"

all available with or without clips

Also I have these too FAT OR GRIP BAR like someone posted but through me would be even cheaper... I can't advertise the price but contact me and you'll be surprised at the price :icon_chee

If you have a an adjustable dumbbell already here's a quick fix to get it fat. Manilla rope and duct tape.

Roll the manilla rope around the handle for desired thickness, then duct-tape it a few rounds. And presto! you have a revolving thickbar dumbbell. I did it and it works great. The diameter of the thickbit is 7cm. Im thinking about making the other dumbell a bit less thick. ..

I had a fat bar from New York Barbell, and its the only bar from that site I would advocate ordering. The rest blow.

FAT OR GRIP BAR

I have the 2 inch solid steel chrome barbell from NewYork Barbells. It weighs 78 lbs.

I love it, I have videos in my journal using it.

A cheap option -- get a pair of boxing hand wraps, wrap 'em around the bar. It takes a few minutes but you can add up to an inch, no problem.

FYI - just got the 3" version of this bar Product - New ! 7' Fat Bar from performbetter.com for $154 (free shipping due to $ amount of my order) and despite the price, along with a $50 credit they gave me for bitching about it (effective price $104), I am still not too happy with it. It has rough grinder marks near the collars covered up with silver spray paint and the knurling is inconsistent. Rusty dust comes out of holes in the fat portion of the bar every time it rolls around, so I don't know what the inside looks like? Also, although I can never imagine having the grip strength to handle 600 lbs. (what the bar is reportedly rated for) on this bar with any lift, I have serious doubts that the bar would stand up to that load without the collars falling off. At this point the bar is still functional for my purposes, but I would recommend serious strongmen fork out the extra $ and go for a higher end, solid version made in the U.S.A. (mine is tubular and made "overseas").

New York Barbell is a great site. I have order a couple items from there and they are great quality.

Back