Fasting (not IF)

ironwolf

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does anybody here or has anybody here done fasting as part of their regular schedule? Im not talking about IF but more like 24-72 hours as sort of a detox/reset sort of thing?

I just watched the British Documentary "eat fast, live longer" after reading about it in the IF thread a few posts down, then I started reading about fasting and the benifits of fasting and figured what the hell, I had dinner pretty early (7:00pm) so I decided Ill do a 24 hour water/tea only thing and wont take in any calories until after 7 tomorrow. Ill get my run/kb work in before going to my job and see what happens.

Im interested in eventually doing like a 3 day fast but I think 24 hours is a good start.

Im not really doing this for weight loss but more for health benefits, I didnt get any blood work done before hand so I wont have anything to measure except for how I feel. I want to practice a few 1 day fasts then Ill try for a 3 day fast when summer starts (teacher so no work int he summer), before the 3 day fast, ill get some blood work done then again after the 3 days.

Anybody have any experience? stories? advice?

thanks.

It's okay as long as you
A) Have at least a little extra fat [your body has to run off of something]
B) Schedule it for days where you have little physical activity or responsibility. There's a reason religious fasting days usually involve the person just praying and spending time with family.

I've tinkered with all kinds of fasting modalities, my longest one only being ~36 hours. It's good to go through every now and then but I certainly don't make it a regular thing these days. Mainly because I'd rather workout and eat with friends than starve.

Dehydrating yourself is idiotic.

The only sources that claim fasting like this is healthy are from biased Islamic sources.

I tried it and it's a lot harder than simple IF schedule. And it is hard to get used because your body never adjusts to it.

It's okay as long as you
A) Have at least a little extra fat [your body has to run off of something]
B) Schedule it for days where you have little physical activity or responsibility. There's a reason religious fasting days usually involve the person just praying and spending time with family.

I've tinkered with all kinds of fasting modalities, my longest one only being ~36 hours. It's good to go through every now and then but I certainly don't make it a regular thing these days. Mainly because I'd rather workout and eat with friends than starve.

What do you think about long term fasts? I mean 10-21 days of drinking water or a little bit of juice.

Dehydrating yourself is idiotic.

The only sources that claim fasting like this is healthy are from biased Islamic sources.

Who said anything about dehydrating myself??? I plan on drinking shitloads of water.

Hmmm, well from my research, lots of people do it and see health benefits from it. Im sure if you do a bit of research (surf the net, read a few books, get on a few message boards) you'll see the same thing (but you have the right to your own opinion).

You arent really providing any useful information:

Post 1: dehydrating myself is stupid (duh)
post 2: drinking water with "traces of shit" in it is bad....ok so how would this be any different than if I was eating food and drinking the same water???

FTR, its only 24 hours, I think most humans can handle 24 hours without food. Also, I drink filtered water so although there are likels some "traces of shit" I think my brita gets rid of a lot of that.

IF you want to add anything constructive, please feel free to do so. Ill post back tomorrow evening after my fast is over. Ill try not to get hurt, thanks for the concern.

what you just explained is i.f, also i would do weight training in a fasted state for better results because running may burn muscle on a empty tank. one more thing wait an hour after your workout to eat

24 hours counts as IF. Well, if you do it often and regularly enough. A 24-72 hour fast once a month or whatever probably won't give you the same possible health benefits as shorter and more frequent fasts. Probably won't hurt either, although you will lose some mass.

what you just explained is i.f, also i would do weight training in a fasted state for better results because running may burn muscle on a empty tank. one more thing wait an hour after your workout to eat

No.

What do you think about long term fasts? I mean 10-21 days of drinking water or a little bit of juice.

I would not recommend that at all. 3-4 days tops, and the conditions have to be right like I mentioned before. You should also go into the fast very well fed and very well hydrated (in terms of electrolytes).

I wouldn't go into this thinking you're going to get any noticeable, amazing health benefits from this - because you won't notice much if you're already healthy. If you're going to do it, you should be doing it for predominantly the mental/spiritual experience, accompanied by the right circumstances -- and realize that you're giving up other aspects of your health and life to do it (i.e. you will be too tired to properly socialize, workout, or get work done).

I would not recommend that at all. 3-4 days tops, and the conditions have to be right like I mentioned before. You should also go into the fast very well fed and very well hydrated (in terms of electrolytes).

I wouldn't go into this thinking you're going to get any noticeable, amazing health benefits from this - because you won't notice much if you're already healthy. If you're going to do it, you should be doing it for predominantly the mental/spiritual experience, accompanied by the right circumstances -- and realize that you're giving up other aspects of your health and life to do it (i.e. you will be too tired to properly socialize, workout, or get work done).

I did a 25 day fast ( coffee, tea, juice, and EC stack occasionally ) and I trained quite a lot RIGHT BEFORE my first fight. Now I understand how stupid it was, but I felt ok.
Didn't have any health benefits to report, probably was detrimental to my health considering the work load, but I did lose around 30 pounds.

More than 24 hours would be grueling.

I've done 21 and it wasn't too bad. But, like some people have said, the benefits of fasting top out at around 24 hours.

But, like some people have said, the benefits of fasting top out at around 24 hours.

I'm not looking to argue but who else in the thread said that? I've read before that fasts between 24-72 hours promote auto****y without significantly impacting metabolic rate.

Edit:
a u t o p h a g y

I'm not looking to argue but who else in the thread said that? I've read before that fasts between 24-72 hours promote auto****y without significantly impacting metabolic rate.

Edit:
a u t o p h a g y

Yes, there are not a lot of studies looking at metabolic rate during starvation, but the one that I've found (had excellent monitoring techniques) showed no decrease in RMR during a 72-hour fast in healthy lean men (I believe RMR went up on the second day of the fast)... although it did begin trending downwards near the end, it wasn't significant.

Last week I unintentionally did a "three day fast" because I got e.coli poisoning, which resulted in me being too feverish/nauseous to eat or drink anything and I survived just fine. After recovering everything was back to normal, lost a bit of weight even after rehydrating, but my lifts are fine and my energy levels are at their typical level. People forget how often they accidentally fast - it's a natural reaction to being sick, and many people do this once or twice a year without blinking an eye.

24 hours fast wasnt bad at all, I got a bit grumpy towards then end of it.

Next week, Ill try again but I will train early, eat breakfast at around 7am and go 24 hours from there.

3 days might be a bit tough but 24 really wasn't bad, I didn't even really get that hungry.

Back