Fastest hands in combat sports history?

Ali might have the GOAT hand speed P4P but Liston clearly took a dive in that fight.
If you've ever seen the super-slo-mo of that fight or punch, you can see the shock-wave of the punch traveling down his neck and to his shoulders. It was legit.

Find your smallest fighter and there's your answer. excluding dwarven athletes.

8ks0.gif

There was question of whether Sonny Liston took a dive in the rematch because Ali's punch was thrown so quickly that many didn't see it, so it was called the "Phantom Punch."

So..... that seems to set the standard for fast hands, I'd think.

Nice video breakdown of it. What's really amazing in this video is all the footage of Ali slipping punches. Such a shame that he lost his prime to a legal battle over the draft.

Ali = bobbin' and weavin'
Deebo = should'a been bobbin' and weavin' ("Look at cha!")

If we could establish an average hand speed for each weight division in combat sports, LHW Roy Jones would go farther over the average than anyone in combat sports history. It's incredible how fast he was.

It is SCARY how fast he was.

Ali might have the GOAT hand speed P4P but Liston clearly took a dive in that fight.

Ali's punch clearly got him.

BUT, if he was told (and paid) to go down in the first, he happened to pick the right opportunity.

He was going to get his ass beat either way. Might as well make a few bucks, he thought.

P4P it is RJJR ROY JONES JR

Of course some lighter weight classes are faster. Because they have shorter bodies, arms and a lower center of gravity

If you've ever seen the super-slo-mo of that fight or punch, you can see the shock-wave of the punch traveling down his neck and to his shoulders. It was legit.

The moment at 2:45 where he tried to get up and pretended he was doing the chicken dance would have failed a high school drama class.

He got hit with a punch but it was a light punch.

Liston was managed by the mob, he worked for them. Fixed fights were not uncommon around that time.

Extremely small professional boxers

Amir Khan is a decent choice . I’d have to go with Manny though . His hand speed is insane . Sugar Ray Leonard had some speed on him as well .
I’d go with Leonard (at least he’s a great choice). His speed was ridiculous. And he had underrated power too.

Manny of course was lightning.

Back