Fast Walking Vs Slow Jogging

RedNeckJiuJitsu

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I recently re-read through the conditioning FAQ and didn't see a direct answer to this, so I'll put the question here.

For LISS conditioning and building a cardio base, is it better to walk at a higher speed or jog at a lower speed? Or as long as you keep your heart rate up and keep moving for the same amount of time is it irrelevant which you do?

For instance, I just walked for 45 minutes @ 3.3mph, but if I were to jog at that speed, I'd be switching back and forth to walking to keep going for the entire time. So should I just keep walking and increasing the speed until I have to jog (since my heart rate is somewhere above 120), or lower the speed til I can jog the whole time and then increase the speed?

Last edited:
If you're able to hit and maintain your target HR either way, I would say that doing it by jogging is the better choice, for reasons to do with circulation and using more of your body. I'd elaborate but I'm in the midst of a bunch of stuff (lazy, very mentally lazy today).

Obviously at the same speed, jogging is the better choice, but I'm wondering about slower jogging vs faster walking. In other words, does walking faster (say 3.3mph) make up the difference of jogging at say 2.2 mph if the heart rate is the same?

I think whichever means your HR stays constant at the right area, so in your case walking. you will get to a point where jogging keeps you in the right zone without going out. Personally I cycle, its alot more fun than walking but keeps my HR lower than jogging

That was my guess but I figured the cardio gurus here know more than me.
I watch old UFC and PRIDE DVDs while I walk, and I've got a treadmill but no bike, so it works.
Thanks for the responses.

I prefer jogging, but whatever keeps you in the right HR range is the best choice. :)

Back