Fast and Slow Twitch Muscle Fibers

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/genetics/2006-02-01-dna-african-americans_x.htm

"About 30% of black Americans who take DNA tests to determine their African lineage prove to be descended from Europeans on their father's side, says Rick Kittles, scientific director of African Ancestry, a Washington, D.C., company that began offering the tests in 2003. Almost all black Americans whom Kittles has tested descended from African women, he says."

First of all that doesn't answer the athlete question but anyways I found it interesting. I also think this is something to consider.

"You can be 31/32 black, but if that 32nd ancestor is white you could show up as white, too," she says. "That can be very confusing."

Having one ancestor who is a different race probabally doesn't change much of your genetic makeup but maybe I'm wrong. Finally this

"Each person's DNA is unique, but some DNA patterns remain relatively unchanged within families as well as within ethnic and geographical groups. Genetic genealogy tracks those types of DNA."

It even states in the article that DNA patterns differ between ethnicities and that they remain relatively unchanged in those ethnicities. Why is it farfetched to believe that those different ethnicities might have different physical/mental strengths? Not saying it makes them smarter or better at somethig, but I believe that your ethnicity gives you different natural gifts to mold.

You just came very close to putting me in my place, but the fact that only 30% trace it to Europeans and that it is more than likely only a handful of European anscestors in that 30% statistic, while thousands of years of African lineage. I'm not saying Africans, Europeans, Asians, whomever are better overall, just that they MIGHT possibly have different mental and physical strengths. Can everyone at least agree with that statement? Good find btw.

You are arguing that genetics are very important, but you include in your reasoning a non-genetic reason.

This is exactly what I was arguing. Genetic differences may make some difference, but they are nothing compared to differences of motivation and opportunity.

If you read my earlier posts more carefully, I'm saying the exact same thing. Genetics just give certain races an advantage in a certain physical or mental department, but that it does not automatically mean the black will run faster than the white, or the white will outwrestle the black, etc. Just that it gives an advantage. I agree that its what you do with it that deteremines what you become. And that is why I gave a non-genetic reason, because genetics give advantages, but don't do everything for you. Of course someone who never played football won't be good or dominant in it, even if they have the potential. It takes practice and work, genetics just give, or in some cases don't give, advantages.

Let me drop a bomb on all you S&P powerlifting fanatics; No matter what type of training you do, you will convert your Type IIx (as humans don't have IIa fibers but IIx, animals have IIa) fibers to type IIb. That means no matter what type of training, even if it's all explosive power based, you will lose some of the properties which make the muscle fibers inherently "explosive", however you also improve the speed of contraction of the Type I fibers, and improve the efficiency of the Type IIx and IIb fibers.
While some people talk about the posibility of changing fiber type from either Type II to Type I and visa versa with LONG term EXTREMELY HARD training in people (it can be done in rats who run on a treadmill all day every day) is by changing which nerve innervates the muscle, which you cannot do through training.

Actually you are a total retard.....

Although there are sprint swimming events and longer distance events - swimming as a whole places demands on both your aerobic and anaerobic energy sytems, this is science fact - if you dont believe me any exercise science journal will do the trick. By the looks of things you are a PC twat - swimming is an 'upper white middle class' sport?!?!? - do me a favour please....... its a hole with water in it!!!..... Hell, go down to the seaside and you dont even have to pay the 20p to use it!!!! Leaving aside your idiocy, your arguement presupposes black people dont have 2 pennys to rub together to afford to the swim entry - but yet mysteriously can afford

Let me drop a bomb on all you S&P powerlifting fanatics; No matter what type of training you do, you will convert your Type IIx (as humans don't have IIa fibers but IIx, animals have IIa) fibers to type IIb. That means no matter what type of training, even if it's all explosive power based, you will lose some of the properties which make the muscle fibers inherently "explosive", however you also improve the speed of contraction of the Type I fibers, and improve the efficiency of the Type IIx and IIb fibers.
While some people talk about the posibility of changing fiber type from either Type II to Type I and visa versa with LONG term EXTREMELY HARD training in people (it can be done in rats who run on a treadmill all day every day) is by changing which nerve innervates the muscle, which you cannot do through training.
This may not be true.

There is some research indicating that certain types of maximal eccentric training can convert muscle fiber types.

Blacks from west africa have more fast twitch fiber. This is a fact.

I heard Jews are good at starting wars.

Jesus, you're ignorant and racist.

No, he isn't. Statements like this do very little to further your argument. If you want people to stick to facts then it's best to take the lead

Chad, you are a daft prick.

I think everyone just needs to shut the fuck up and let Madmick school the ignorant...including myself.

No, he isn't. Statements like this do very little to further your argument. If you want people to stick to facts then it's best to take the lead
I suppose that's fair. Calling him a racist at this point is merely conjecture. Nevertheless, his argument is farse; it's sociological speculation masquerading as scientific inquiry. His understanding of physiology (or bioenergetics, in this particular matter) is nonexistent.

So to answer Lusst's call, here's a cut-to-the-bone primer.

There are three systems by which the body generates energy:
1) The ATP-CP System (aka the Alactic Anaerobic System)
2) The Oxygen-Inependent Glycolytic System (aka the Lactic Anaerobic or Anaerobic Glycolytic System)
3) The Oxygen-Dependent System (aka the Aerobic System)

Siff said:
In general, power and strength rely heavily on the high energy phosphagen system, muscle-endurance on the oxygen-independent system glycolytic system, and cardiovascular endurance on the oxygen-dependent system.

A single maximal muscular contractions characteristic of maximal power development over a period which may last a fraction of a second rely entirely on stored ATP. The process does not increase blood lactate levels and the limitation to continued effort lies largely in the availability of ATP.

After a few seconds, CP is drawn upon to replenish the rapidly dwindling ATP. The CP contribution reaches a peak after 5-7 seconds, during which time oxygen-independent glycolysis is has already commenced. Extraction of energy from the CP system also does not cause build-up of lactate and protons, so the main limitation to continued effort is the availability of the enzyme (creatine kinase) which resynthesizes ATP.

Strenuous exercise lasting approximately 6-30 seconds activates oxygen-independent glycolysis maximally, but appropriate rest intervals will prevent a serious increase in blood lactate. This is the rationale behind the value of interval or fartlek (repeated jog-sprint) running, and interval circuit training with weights or machines...

Oxygen-independent glycolysis reaches its peak after about 30-40 seconds, and after 90-120 seconds its contribution becomes minimal, being replaced by oxygen-dependent glycolysis. This process becomes the dominant energy-producer for all long duration, low intensity activities such as distance running and cycling.

Siff even includes a table that shows the percentiles for energy contribution from each of the three energy systems in different sports.

Swimming
[50m]
ATP-CP= 98%
OIG= 2%
OD= 0%
[100m]
ATP-CP= 80%
OIG= 15%
OD= 0%
[200m]
ATP-CP= 30%
OIG= 65%
OD= 5%
[400m]
ATP-CP= 20%
OIG= 40%
OD= 40%
[1500m]
ATP-CP= 10%
OIG= 20%
OD= 70%

Rugby
ATP-CP= 90%
OIG= 10%
OD= 0%

Basketball
ATP-CP= 85%
OIG= 15%
OD= 0%

Hmmm...a 20-second 50m sprint is 98% dependent on the ATP-CP System...kind of throws out this clown's bullshit theory that "West Africans" don't succeed in swimming because they lack slow-twitch muscle fibers, doesn't it?

And Rugby and Basketball have almost identical energy system demands? Once again, it looks like redneck sociology is the governing philosophy, here.

Like I said, this is ridiculous. Sociological factors have (and always will) play a much greater role than genetic traits in why certain races succeed at certain sports.

And Himalaili (or whatever the fuck your name is): before you go off touting yourself a guru, just go reading one fucking book.

:icon_lol: No shit. You're pretty smart. What are you good at in school and whatnot?

English by far is my best subject, I had a 104% for a quarter in it lol. So I'm pretty good at papers and reading comprehension. History and Spanish I'm not bad at. I think science is interesting, but I don't really enjoy the math part of chemistry (physics this coming year:icon_neut ) and math is my worst subject. Took the pre-ACT's and their estimating my ACT to be between 31-35. That's basically a summary of my classes. Oh and this year I'll be taking physics, humanities, honors history, pre-calc, and Spanish III.

P.S.- Thanks lol:redface:

You fucker... I thought you were actually Askren.

If I was him I could make a thread asking you guys to critique my wrestling. LOL. I read that he's going to do MMA after he's done with the 2008 Olympics. He says he wants to give it a try. Anybody think he could destroy, with some training of course, the Welterweight division? I'm gonna start a new topic on the grappling forum relating to the USA Wrestling magazine article btw anybody who wants to check it out.

Back