Fashion designer uses only Asian models at New York Fashion Week show

If I were a fashion designer I would only use Asian women too and there would not be very much clothing.

Have you seen these asian's FACES? <{clintugh}><{clintugh}><{clintugh}><{clintugh}>

Having a pretty face to go with a great body is paramount.

These walking chickens(not women) provide neither.

I like Waffles.
i-like-turtles20110724-22047-1t51pt4.jpg

It doesn't help that "singularity" in China is enforced to the point where anything out of the norm is looked down upon, including wearing a wrong color shirt. Maybe less so in recent times, but certainly in previous times.

I think people of European descent were also less distinguishable when everybody wore the same outfit and hairstyle.

PNP-329550-2.jpg

Imagine being a cop in those days. Victim's eyewitness statement: "It was a guy in a hat and trench coat that stole my wallet."

Lol, wait this whole thread was meant to somehow accuse Asians of racism based on the false premise that they only used light skinned Asians?

Look at the pictures again. Lots of dark skinned Asians in those pictures. I don't understand what you're seeing, but I'm going to guess it's being clouded by some agenda.

I don't know about his motivations in making the thread but his point about the look isn't that far off. The Indian subcontinent is part of Asia and there doesn't appear to be anyone from that region in the show's line up. The models seems predominantly far east asian.

I don't know how much it matters though.

Have you seen these asian's FACES? <{clintugh}><{clintugh}><{clintugh}><{clintugh}>

Having a pretty face to go with a great body is paramount.

These walking chickens(not women) provide neither.

If I were a fashion designer, I would not be using stick thin, anorexic models. I would be using women like Eva Lovia (half Asian):

218763_07.jpg

I don't know about his motivations in making the thread but his point about the look isn't that far off. The Indian subcontinent is part of Asia and there doesn't appear to be anyone from that region in the show's line up. The models seems predominantly far east asian.

You don't think it is ridiculous to look at a fashion show with a vast variety of Asian women with all different features and skin tones and harp on the fact there wasn't an Indian woman there?

are we positively sure they are not represented?? I got curious (and wanted to see more pics of these models too!) and couldn't find much besides what was posted. There's a line of models in the first pic but they're all blurry so we have no idea who is represented in this lineup...

I think the internet has given me an exaggerated expectation of sexyness when I hear the phrase "all asian".

You don't think it is ridiculous to look at a fashion show with a vast variety of Asian women with all different features and skin tones and harp on the fact there wasn't an Indian woman there?

Me? i wouldn't care but his point was that the designer said they wanted to show Asia's diversity but left out a big part of that diversity. The Indian subcontinent is over 1.5 billion people.

That's a glaring omission if Asian "diversity" is the goal.

Me? i wouldn't care but his point was that the designer said they wanted to show Asia's diversity but left out a big part of that diversity. The Indian subcontinent is over 1.5 billion people.

That's a glaring omission if Asian "diversity" is the goal.

But the very first sentence says she used "East Asian" models. Does that not imply she was making a point about East Asia and not India? Or was that the OP's line? It's hard to tell.

But either way, would it somehow be a problem if she was not talking about India, a subcontinent that is not typically associated with East Asians at all? I just feel like it's such a lame and whiny thing to even mention.

are we positively sure they are not represented?? I got curious (and wanted to see more pics of these models too!) and couldn't find much besides what was posted. There's a line of models in the first pic but they're all blurry so we have no idea who is represented in this lineup...

Ruprecht posted a link that had 36 pictures of what I took to be the models in various looks. I went through it. While there were various different Asians walking the runway, none of them were from the Asian subcontinent. To be fair to the designer, the styles themselves seemed more east Asian so those models probably fit the look better.

An Asian woman chose Asian models for her clothing. Who cares

An Asian woman chose Asian models for her clothing. Who cares

Apparently people are unhappy with the fact that she did not include Indians?

I think the point she was out to make is pretty clear. I think our culture has gotten really pathetic with this nitpicking and complaining.

But the very first sentence says she used "East Asian" models. Does that not imply she was making a point about East Asia and not India?

That's not what the article says. The article quotes her as saying "Asian", not "East Asian". The East Asian comment comes from the OP, not the article.

Again, I don't particularly care one way or the other but the OP's point was a fair one. You might say it's not important but you can't say it's not true. I don't think it's important, it's Japanese influenced stylistically (also from the articles) so East Asian models make more sense to me. But it's also true that there no Asian representatives who visually hark to the Indian subcontinent.

That's not what the article says. The article quotes her as saying "Asian", not "East Asian". The East Asian comment comes from the OP, not the article.

Again, I don't particularly care one way or the other but the OP's point was a fair one. You might say it's not important but you can't say it's not true. I don't think it's important, it's Japanese influenced stylistically (also from the articles) so East Asian models make more sense to me. But it's also true that there no Asian representatives who visually hark to the Indian subcontinent.

When people use the term Asians, they are not typically referring to Indians. Honestly, when Asians talk about Asians, they are not talking about Indians either. When people talk about Indians, they use the word Indians. I think it's kinda lame if anybody's takeaway from this event was, "Ha, gotcha! You didn't get any Indians and technically they are Asian too!" It's just so bizarre to me that people automatically look to criticize things like this instead of taking for it for what it obviously was meant to be.

Back