Farrakhan and other speakers at Aretha Franklin funeral

Supporting Farrakhan's ideas doesn't get a pass, but having a picture taken with him at an event is hardly the same thing. Do you suppose Bill Clinton agrees with Farrakhan's ideas, since he is standing near him in the pic above? You must think so, since you imply that Obama must agree with his ideas, due to being in a pic with him.
This is laughable.
Did you grant Trump the same benefit of the doubt? I seem to recall you taking the opposite route regarding Trump and David Duke.
Did Obama condemn Farrakhan? No? Why is that?

So, are you willing to apply the same benefit of doubt regarding Duke supporting Trump?

Not really an appropriate time to try and make a political statement, unless that Franklin's views she wished shared.
I listened to most of his sermon. He was calling black people to return to God in that sermon. He though black people blamed everyone else instead of themselves for the state the black community is in.

I prefer more scripture in sermons than what he gave. But he did give a truthful message that honored Franklin and encouraged black people to returned to God. He thinks the black community has lost something.

I thought it was a good message. Gutsy and controversial because the Democrat Party will unleash hell on him for it.

I listened to most of his sermon. He was calling black people to return to God in that sermon. He though black people blamed everyone else instead of themselves for the state the black community is in.

I prefer more scripture in sermons than what he gave. But he did give a truthful message that honored Franklin and encouraged black people to returned to God. He thinks the black community has lost something.

I thought it was a good message. Gutsy and controversial because the Democrat Party will unleash hell on him for it.

You can like his message or hate his message, that doesn't make saying it at her funeral appropriate. We go to funerals to say our final good byes, not listen to people turn it in to a political platform. If she wanted that message spread at her funeral fine. If he took the opportunity on himself, I feel he was in the wrong for doing so.

Not really an appropriate time to try and make a political statement, unless that Franklin's views she wished shared.

I wouldn't be surprised if Arethra Franklin had the same opinion though. She was of a better generation.

I wouldn't be surprised if Arethra Franklin had the same opinion though. She was of a better generation.

If those were her opinions that she wanted shared fine, if not he used her death as a political platform.

Lol white people trying to tell black men who they can and can't interact with. Typical Sherfront
cc9a75ac19b7e8e52e7a688c9226c7665a554c7832a0c23b77cd9d0e6718e854.jpg

Let me make it stupid simple for you: the left goes out on a limb reaching for any way to connect racists with Trump, ie, not condemning Duke fast enough or enough times for them. Then they turn a blind eye to Obama and members of the congressional black caucus taking pics together with Farrakhan like BFF's, making all kinds of excuses. Hell, the media saw fit to bury it until after Obama's term..

Did I dumb it down enough for you?

Last edited:
If those were her opinions that she wanted shared fine, if not he used her death as a political platform.

True, but I agree with him though. I like that he had a big platform but ya, he probably shouldn't have done that at a funeral.

You can like his message or hate his message, that doesn't make saying it at her funeral appropriate. We go to funerals to say our final good byes, not listen to people turn it in to a political platform. If she wanted that message spread at her funeral fine. If he took the opportunity on himself, I feel he was in the wrong for doing so.
It wasn't political. Though the backlash toward him will be political. Democrats have a tendency to get upset when a black preacher critiques his own black community.

His message was for black people to return to God. He went into detail of the black community's problems today. His sermon was on a personal level. He said the phrase "black lives matter". He didn't offer political solutions to cure societal ills.

He said she was the "Queen of Soul" "We all have a soul" "Black men have lost their soul." It was a personal message to be better men, women, fathers mothers.

I would have had more of the Gospel Message (We are sinners in need of and forgiveness) presented, but those are my thoughts from listening to his sermon.

He was good friends with Aretha and did her fathers eulogy 34 years ago.
A few days before she died she asked if he could do hers.

I think he realized that this might be the only time he can address these issues on such a big platform.

I think he realized that this might be the only time he can address these issues on such a big platform.
Yeah it sounded like Jasper Williams knew her family. He talked a lot about her father as well in the sermon. Her father was a preacher as well.

It wasn't political. Though the backlash toward him will be political. Democrats have a tendency to get upset when a black preacher critiques his own black community.

His message was for black people to return to God. He went into detail of the black community's problems today. His sermon was on a personal level. He said the phrase "black lives matter". He didn't offer political solutions to cure societal ills.

He said she was the "Queen of Soul" "We all have a soul" "Black men have lost their soul." It was a personal message to be better men, women, fathers mothers.

I would have had more of the Gospel Message (We are sinners in need of and forgiveness) presented, but those are my thoughts from listening to his sermon.

Rip, that was a political statement. Don't kid yourself on this. As I've said twice, if this is a message Franklin or her family wanted shared at her funeral, then I have no problem with it, as it was their wish. If he chose to do it on his own, I feel he was in the wrong

LOL in before white people attack this person.

It's cool. Hillary has hot sauce and knows how to dab.
Are you implying that Hillary is touching the black community with the dab?

If he did so on his own, he was in the wrong, regragless of the message.

Rip, that was a political statement. Don't kid yourself on this. As I've said twice, if this is a message Franklin or her family wanted shared at her funeral, then I have no problem with it, as it was their wish. If he chose to do it on his own, I feel he was in the wrong
It's only political in that a political movement (Black Lives Matter) will not better the black community. He says they need to return to God. We may have to agree to disagree.

I agree with that message. Political movements will not save your community without God. Feel free to disagree brother.

I wouldn't call it a political statement.
A black man calling for other black men to cut the shit isn't a political statement.
It's what needed to be done, and I would bet Aretha did feel the same way.

Until another black leader dies there really isn't another platform for someone to really make an impact and what he did here was made an impact.
I have a feeling you'll have alot more angry white than angry blacks on this one.

It's only political in that a political movement (Black Lives Matter) will not better the black community. He says they need to return to God. We may have to agree to disagree.

I agree with that message. Political movements will not save your community without God. Feel free to disagree brother.

I'm don't like arguing about people deeply held religious belief. I will just say that religion is very much about politics and is often political, anyways I'll catch you in other threads.

Having grown up in southern gospel style Christian communities I have to say his use of the funeral for a sermon, whether political or strictly scriptural, I don't find all that uncommon or odd. Preacher gonna preach.

Back