Faroe Islanders slaughter whales.

Back when greenpeace made a big hoola about Japanese whaling, I've overheard an expat working at the company I worked for: "The fuck with whaling! You chase them all over the ocean, you get nothing. Go to the States, lots of whales walking around. Why not hunt those?"

There is absolutely no justification for this practice in modern Faroe Islands. They are a wealthy people with plenty of seafood and can import anything else they want. They only do this out of defiance because the world criticizes them for it. I don't condone slaughtering whales at all but it would be more acceptable if they hunted them traditionally instead of murdering them in locked blood pools while their family members watch.
Yeah, im not for murdering of whales at all either. I just didnt want to get into the usual vegan/all animal lives matter debate again. I think whales have proven to be an intelligent species, as well as dolphins, so using them for food when there's plenty of fish doesn't sit well for me
But if they were going to do this, the least they could do would be to do it as humanely as possible. Having their children climbing over and playing with the bodies and the method of kill just makes it all look like pretty gross

I didn't know anything about this island, i just assumed they did the hunt out of necessity

Regardless of benefit, hunting cetaceans just doesn't sit right with me.

They're incredibly intelligent mammals.

And before the inevitable devils advocate comes in here claiming I'm elevating the 'value' of animals based on their intelligence...I will reaffirm that yes I am.

The utter lack of respect and disdain for mother nature on the part of european peoples make me sick.

Says the shitbag who claims to hunt endangered sea turtles. LMAO leklok....

What about when native people do it??? Does that make you sick??? Because guess who slaughters hundreds of caribou and leaves literally tons of waste??? Or kills whole groups of belugas including babies for fun right here in Alaska.....natives.

What about Japanese whaling??? Does that make you sick too??? Or is this just another one of you’re racist rants that only applies to white people???

Did I mention you are racist piece of trash???

Last edited:
Urgh. Imagine just eating a handful of blubber. Fucking disgusting.

I ate it up north once, I was in a native village that had just hunted a whale, it was cool to see the system they used to split up the meat, which parts went to what people etc.

They also used to kill shit loads of belugas in the river like 20 feet from my house, drive out there on skiffs and jet boats and shoot them with handguns. Actually killing ~ 1/2 of what they shot, the rest just get away gut shot.

I ate it up north once, I was in a native village that had just hunted a whale, it was cool to see the system they used to split up the meat, which parts went to what people etc.

They also used to kill shit loads of belugas in the river like 20 feet from my house, drive out there on skiffs and jet boats and shoot them with handguns. Actually killing ~ 1/2 of what they shot, the rest just get away gut shot.

Sounds like a culturally rich experience.

Be fun to take part. Whale harvests are celebrations. Not a traditional way of going about it but unless you want to eat like an Irishman you've got to take from the sea.[
Just to play devils advocate, what if lions mechanized and came at us with spears and jeeps?

Mechanization changes the natural order

It's technology that is the game changer and language is a form of technology.

One could consider the hunting in packs to be a form of rudimentary technology.

Wild animals use technology, an example being a Crow using a rock to hit a snail against or a chimp using a stick to get ants from a nest.

Anyway, what would happen if lions came at us is what happens already: we'd fuck them up royally, humans ftw.

This goes beyond the extinctions at the end of the Plesistocene. The decimation of megafaua continued on to the dawn of agriculture when humans could mount a more thorough offense upon wildlife. There were still Ice Bears, European Lions and aurochs roaming around even during the Roman empire.

The Romans bringing in thousands upon thousands of animals to simply be butchered in the arenas didnt help :*(

Going through the wikipedias of all the megafauna that went extinct, especially from Eurasia is fascinating. Wooly Rhinos might be where legends about unicorns started, etc.

There is absolutely no justification for this practice in modern Faroe Islands. They are a wealthy people with plenty of seafood and can import anything else they want. They only do this out of defiance because the world criticizes them for it. I don't condone slaughtering whales at all but it would be more acceptable if they hunted them traditionally instead of murdering them in locked blood pools while their family members watch.
Yeah I don't know much about the background of the people , assumed they were poor backward savages. I don't like it, but as long as theyre not hunting dangerous animals to extinction it's hard to get up in arms. If that IS what they're doing, they should be stopped. Was just pointing out that there's a lot of hypocrisy about what animals are killed and how, from people that support industrial slaughter of animals.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't know much about the background of the people , assumed they were poor backward savages. I don't like it, but as long as theyre not hunting dangerous animals to extinction it's hard to get up in arms. If that IS what they're doing, they should be stopped. Was just pointing out that there's a lot of hypocrisy about what animals are killed and how, from people that support industrial slaughter of animals.
maxresdefault.jpg

1498845024306.jpg

would you be ok with primates or dogs slaughtered like this? It's not just the fact that needlessly killed for food, but the cruel methods used to do it. Ironically, Denmark banned halal/kosher meat slaughter but the Faroese continue what is a more barbaric tradition. The whales' capacity for physical and emotional suffering is greater than livestock's. They are screaming in anguish while trapped in shallow pools of their podmates' blood.

And yes, it is hypocritical of meat eaters to criticize this to some degree. Industrial farming is an indefensible practice but necessary until technology can provide alternatives. But the least we (guilty yet aware carnivores) can do is try to minimize suffering.

maxresdefault.jpg

1498845024306.jpg

would you be ok with primates or dogs slaughtered like this? It's not just the fact that needlessly killed for food, but the cruel methods used to do it. Ironically, Denmark banned halal/kosher meat slaughter but the Faroese continue what is a more barbaric tradition. The whales' capacity for physical and emotional suffering is greater than livestock's. They are screaming in anguish while trapped in shallow pools of their podmates' blood.

And yes, it is hypocritical of meat eaters to criticize this to some degree. Industrial farming is an indefensible practice but necessary until technology can provide alternatives. But the least we (guilty yet aware carnivores) can do is try to minimize suffering.
No, I would not. It seems pretty fucked up. But the belief that animals have any sort of rights is still fairly new. Like I said I think it's fucked up but it's nothing new

As far as factory farming goes, I think we have the tech to do better, but wjy bother when the way they're doing it is cheaper.

I'm not saying well factory farming exists so any other animal abuse is fine. It's just hard to take selective outrage seriously. I don't believe that being smarter gives whales more pain receptors than livestock.

My God... those images. Its like something out of the nasty parts of the bible with seas turning into blood and carnage and viscera. Pretty fucking gnarly way to get your food.

Kroger or Walmart is easier. ;)

Those images are less disturbing than a slaughterhouse...

Kroger or Walmart is easier. ;)

Who the fuck is Kroger? Isn't that a Highlander villain? And I've never been to a Wall-mart but everything I've heard about makes it sound even more disgusting than this!:D

Who the fuck is Kroger? Isn't that a Highlander villain? And I've never been to a Wall-mart but everything I've heard about makes it sound even more disgusting than this!:D

sigh, a grocery store, its easier to go to a grocery store...

Back