Farmer's walk bars for under 60 bucks!

Urban

Savage Mystic
@Gold
Reaction score
That's right, under 60 bucks! Inspired by this page TITEFW I went to the local steel yard to ask about remnants, got about 50 lbs of pipe (and three cuts) for around 40 bucks and got odds and ends like the all thread, nuts, and paint (to keep the black pipe from rusting), and Voila! 5 hours of work later (no shit, It turns out I sucked at making these and making everything line up)

ok they look like they're different lengths but it's the perspective... I know cause I saw the pic and ran back out there and checked.
FWbars1.jpg

Close-up on the handles
FWbars2.jpg

What did I learn?
- Attach the handle to the allthread after you run the all thread through the bar and tighten it into place.
- Use a hacksaw to cut the all thread (The extra time is worth it because it keeps your from from screwing up the threads)
- Line up the holes as you go, before you drill them. Check each one.
- Before you cut it, put some nuts on the all thread on each side of the cut. you can re form the threads after you fuck them up by cutting it with boltcutters and grinding the end flat, or even with the hacksaw. It will save you aggrivation later when you find you are unable to get a nut on cause your threads are screwed up.
- use a bigger bit than you need to make alignment easier.
- The second bar is much easier than the first
- use a starter punch to keep your from slipping
- drill from the outside of the pipe. this seems like a no brainer at first untill you have to drill the second hole through the pipe. Pound your starter punch through the hole already drilled untill it makes a bump on the outside of your pipe. Now eyeball it by looking down the end to make sure it lines up straight with the hole across the diameter of the pipe. Now pound your punch into the outside where you think the hole should be centered (near the bump you made initially when you used the punch) and drill from the outside.

Last edited:
Good job man. They look even better than you initially described.

Nah, just made a pair for myself. I seem to be the board's do it yourselfer so I thought I'd share my latest creation and some advice for anyone who wants to try it themselves.

Well, you built character, but I make more than $60 in 5 hours after taxes.

Why, how much are they to buy? I never checked, I just use DB's.

That's really awesome Urban. I may have just been inspired. I've been meaning to add Farmers walks to my training for some time now. Thanks.

Yeah, the ones at midwest were the ones I was looking at buying, even still, with shipping I probably made mine for about 1/3 of the price.

Madmick said:
Well, you built character, but I make more than $60 in 5 hours after taxes.

Why, how much are they to buy? I never checked, I just use DB's.

you definately need to build some yourself then and save that money up.

You can make a lot of the strongman stuff for much less than its sold. I just built a 265lb atlas stong, and 4' platform to load it on for 100 bucks. Going to make some more soon. Anyway I am really glad you posted your home made farmers walk handles, because I was was minutes away from ordering some. But now I can make some. Also having a welder I know make one of those car deadlift frames. Now someone just needs to post plans on how to make one of those big log bars lol.

Chris Lauer said:
You can make a lot of the strongman stuff for much less than its sold. I just built a 265lb atlas stong, and 4' platform to load it on for 100 bucks. Going to make some more soon. Anyway I am really glad you posted your home made farmers walk handles, because I was was minutes away from ordering some. But now I can make some. Also having a welder I know make one of those car deadlift frames. Now someone just needs to post plans on how to make one of those big log bars lol.
Search around, I've seen plans online before. After I buy all my 2" plates (I've been working with standard plates for a LONG time now) I'll be building a log.

Urban, you should be a plumber. Actually even 60 bucks seems expensive though.

Back