Farmers Handles

Clearly, I never got around to painting them.

If I were planning to every actually use them, I would move the hole that the pin locks into so the handle would lock in with one side of the triangle close to vertical. The problem with them now is that the bottom handle hits your thigh. But, other than that, it's a solid design.

F6vBOpm.jpg

One of my concerns was how wide I could make the apparatus before it bothers my legs. I guess the thinner the better, probably 4” max

How do these look?
About 60 lbs each
60" long
12" loadable length at each end
1.3" diameter handles
Centre of handle sits 6.5" above centre of weights

upload_2020-4-9_16-34-32.png

I don't care for that style because they don't always want to stay upright on their own when you have plates on them. And if you're not on a level surface, they'll actually want to roll away.

Not a big deal, but an annoyance.

I don't care for that style because they don't always want to stay upright on their own when you have plates on them. And if you're not on a level surface, they'll actually want to roll away.

Not a big deal, but an annoyance.
Ya I guess that’s true. Easy method to build but not ideal.
I’m leaning towards top loaded now, solves the problem.

Problem solved
Extra 10 lbs per handle

upload_2020-4-10_16-11-46.png

Could create a new thread but hopefully I'll get some answers here.

My next things to build are a sled and squat stands. Here are my questions:

1) What's your favourite style of sled? Prowler or the symmetrical style with removable bars so you don't need to rotate the sled at the end of each length?

2) For squat stands, should I make a solid construction with J-hooks? or two pieces of tubing that slide within each other to adjust height?

3) Or do you hate squat stands and think I should go with a full rack?

For those who have done frame carry, do you prefer them over farmer handles?

Could create a new thread but hopefully I'll get some answers here.

1) What's your favourite style of sled? Prowler or the symmetrical style with removable bars so you don't need to rotate the sled at the end of each length?

2) For squat stands, should I make a solid construction with J-hooks? or two pieces of tubing that slide within each other to adjust height?

I made the investment two years ago and got a squat rack for my basement. To me, the only advantage of a rack is that I have a lateral grip pull-up bar on it. This comes at the expense of feeling more "boxed in" when doing squats or DL and very occasionally clanging the plates against the supports. Having to change the support heights mid-workout takes time and is a PITA. If possible, pre-set J-hooks at several heights that you use is the way to go IMO.

If I could do it over again, I'd get something with the form factor below. Never have to adjust a J-hook, open concept for squats, and the lateral bar serves as both a squats spotter bar and a rack for rack pulls + prepping and racking the bar for DL/cleans.

ProductImage

I made the investment two years ago and got a squat rack for my basement. To me, the only advantage of a rack is that I have a lateral grip pull-up bar on it. This comes at the expense of feeling more "boxed in" when doing squats or DL and very occasionally clanging the plates against the supports. Having to change the support heights mid-workout takes time and is a PITA. If possible, pre-set J-hooks at several heights that you use is the way to go IMO.

If I could do it over again, I'd get something with the form factor below. Never have to adjust a J-hook, open concept for squats, and the lateral bar serves as both a squats spotter bar and a rack for rack pulls + prepping and racking the bar for DL/cleans.
Interesting you say that. I'd go as far as saying that's my least favourite style of rack. I don't like having the safety spotters at a fixed height and I never find changing the J-hook height to be a chore. No option for pullup bar either.

Interesting you say that. I'd go as far as saying that's my least favourite style of rack. I don't like having the safety spotters at a fixed height and I never find changing the J-hook height to be a chore. No option for pullup bar either.

Pull up bar is an issue for sure and depends how much you'd use it. I find I actually use mine far less than I thought I would. If you're OK with just a bar (vs. lateral grip), you can have one on top of squat stands. Rogue makes them like that.

I also know some configurations have adjustable spotter bars (Rogue makes some as well) but I find I adjust my spot bars much less often than I adjust the J-hooks. I use 3 different heights nearly every workout: high for squat/OHP, medium for BP and low for racking from DL or bent-over rows. It's not a huge deal but it takes probably 20 seconds every time and just gets annoying - when this COVID supply crunch is over I'll probably just order two more sets of J-hooks and leave them on the rack so I don't have to mess with it.

Pros and cons to every design but to me, prepping and breaking down the barbell before and after DL is the biggest PITA. If you don't have some kind of rack, you're going to be squatting down and lifting one side of the barbell for each plate. Even if you use a "wedge," you still have to squat down and pull each plate off. In the design above, the barbell rests higher and is completely open so breakdown is very easy. I also greatly prefer doing DL, bent rows and cleans in the open vs. inside a rack but YMMV.

Last edited:
Pull up bar is an issue for sure and depends how much you'd use it. I find I actually use mine far less than I thought I would. If you're OK with just a bar (vs. lateral grip), you can have one on top of squat stands. Rogue makes them like that.

I also know some configurations have adjustable spotter bars (Rogue makes some as well) but I find I adjust my spot bars much less often than I adjust the J-hooks. I use 3 different heights nearly every workout: high for squat/OHP, medium for BP and low for racking from DL or bent-over rows. It's not a huge deal but it takes probably 20 seconds every time and just gets annoying - when this COVID supply crunch is over I'll probably just order two more sets of J-hooks and leave them on the rack so I don't have to mess with it.

Pros and cons to every design but to me, prepping and breaking down the barbell before and after DL is the biggest PITA. If you don't have some kind of rack, you're going to be squatting down and lifting one side of the barbell for each plate. Even if you use a "wedge," you still have to squat down and pull each plate off. In the design above, the barbell rests higher and is completely open so breakdown is very easy. I also greatly prefer doing DL, bent rows and cleans in the open vs. inside a rack but YMMV.

Ya I wouldn't do DL or rows or cleans in the rack, prefer doing them on the platform.
I think racking your deadlifts to change the plates is asking for an accident. Safer to roll the plates onto a wedge or just pickup the end of the bar slightly. Walking and bending with a heavy barbell sounds risky.

Ya I wouldn't do DL or rows or cleans in the rack, prefer doing them on the platform.
I think racking your deadlifts to change the plates is asking for an accident. Safer to roll the plates onto a wedge or just pickup the end of the bar slightly. Walking and bending with a heavy barbell sounds risky.

What I do is set the J-hook about 2 inches below my hips, so I walk up to the rack and drop the bar in place. Its OK but agree a little awkward. However I don't DL to 1RM anymore, usually go 5RM.

But that's why I like the protruding spotter bars: I set at the same height and all I have to do is walk up anywhere above it and drop the bar without needing to have it under control. And the bar is much easier to break down with the barbell racked at hip level.

I like the stability of a half-rack or full rack over squat stands.

I don't know that I have a favorite style of sled, but here's the one I made years ago. I just modeled it after the original Prowler.
t184KZJ.jpg

I don't know that I have a favorite style of sled, but here's the one I made years ago. I just modeled it after the original Prowler.
t184KZJ.jpg
That’s really impressive. Have you you thought about welding a T handle for heavy swings?

I like the stability of a half-rack or full rack over squat stands.

Right now I'm thinking half rack, just trying to find a decent quote for powder coating because I'm worried paint will chip off too fast.

That prowler looks really cool. I've already started making the other style of sled, I'll post it shortly.

Also made a T-handle last week, worked out way better than expected. Welded some washers to the bottom of 2" round steel, tap the top for an M16 eyebolt and welded a handle within it.

Back