Fantasy land: a round robin tourney of all the great super middleweights.

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
who comes out on top? Round Robin meaning they all fight each other once.

RJJ
Calzaghe
Ward
Toney
Eubank
Benn
Froch
Kessler
Collins
Bute ( i guess)

Does RJJ just completely dominate? How many beat Calzaghe? Toney the darkhorse?

You might be able to move a name or two up or down, but that order looks pretty close with Roy firmly at 1.

Predicting the bigger matchups

RJJ vs Calzaghe: no disrespect to Joe but you kinda get the feeling he is a sitting duck here. Not great defensively, not too much power to hurt Roy, and I don't think Roy is getting beat by workrate in his prime.

Ward vs Toney: One of the toughest fights to predict. Toney more talented. Ward harder worker. Tossup, lean slightly to Toney based off his inside prowess to negate Ward's and being better on the outside

Froch vs Calzaghe: dunno really. I mean, Froch was kinda a goofy puncher who never really bothered to defend himself, but he always seemed to land his shots I suppose. I guess Calzaghe could outwork him

RJJ vs Ward: Probably a pretty rough fight for RJJ. Maybe his most difficult out of the group stylistically but it's hard to pick against Roy's gifts. Probably a decision win for Roy

Kessler vs Eubank: Dunno. Kessler bigger. Probably more refined. Eubank with more power i'd say. More of the X-Factor. interesting fight.

Toney vs Benn: Probably Toney. You kinda had to outwork Toney in his prime to beat him and I think Toney would reduce Benn to singular shots and win a decision.

Toney-Calzaghe: Maybe Joe could outwork Toney. This one is weird because you see Toney vs Griffin and it's like WTF Toney. Ok can be outworked. But then you see Toney-Jirov and he beats a bigger guy doing what Calzaghe would do and drops him. Interesting fight

RJJ
Calzaghe
Ward
Toney
Eubank
Benn
Froch
Kessler
Collins
Bute ( i guess)

Maybe replace Bute with Sven Ottke?

I think Roy would be the clear favorite to win, if we're assuming Toney doesn't have issues coming into each fight with weight or just being lazy he'd be a real problem for everyone on this list. Kessler and Froch probably get eliminated early imo

RJJ beats them all.
Kessler at his best would surprise and beat a few of those guys.

how does Calzaghe-Ward go?

Think I'd go with Ward by a close but clear decision. Joe would need to close the distance on Ward who was the sharper longer puncher well single puncher. Ward's strength and ability to tie up would disrupt Joe's rhythm and never really let him get started.

I think other than work rate, Ward is better than Joe in most every other aspect. Better IQ, better technique, more power. He'd probably take over the fight in the second half and out point Joe.

how does Calzaghe-Ward go?

Massive Calzaghe fan but I think Ward might win a decision here.

Might come down to the judges. Calzaghe had a high workrate and tended to take over, Ward tended to take over. Tough one to call.

Depends on the judges.

Think on talent RJJ should win but Ward and Calzaghe would be the other potential finalists at this weight.

Love Toney but I don't trust him to perform.

Would be a lot of exciting fights!

Steve Collins is underrated imo I think fights like him vs Froch would be a good fight. Or Froch Eubank that would certainly put chins to the test.

RJJ
Calzaghe
Ward
Toney
Eubank
Benn
Froch
Kessler
Collins
Bute ( i guess)

Does Roy get VADA tested?

Does Roy get VADA tested?

tenor.gif

Back