Fang Bian Striking Breakdown

SandaKicker

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Video going over the style of one of the most successful and unorthodox kickboxer’s today.

I thought it was a pretty fair assessment, I thought he lost to Doumbe but it was very close, more like he lost a close decision rather than got exposed.

I also thought he dominated Simon Marcus and would have done it again if he was still active.

Given the unorthodox nature of his style what do you see as the best way of solving his style under Wu Lin Feng rules?

I think lateral movement and head movement are the way to go. I don’t think he would be as successful under Glory rules.

Would watch later. Is a shame he didn't fight for a western organization. Really weird to find an East-Asian guy fighting at that weightclass and beating everybody.

Is a shame he is not as famous as Yi Long

Because his stance and in some ways his habit of bouncing on the spot would make him susceptible to right low kicks.

He gets past that by trapping the low kicks against his thigh and double legging everyone in Wu Lin Feng but the rules are a bit different in Glory.

The problem with the WLF fighters of his era is that their non-chinese opponents were often touted as some international champions when these opponents were not as famous as stated. Furthermore, their fights are often biased towards the chinese fighters. However, i feel that Fang Bian is definitely more legit than Yi Long.

The Simon Marcus fight was an eye opener for sure. That shocked a lot of people. Doumbe fight was a robbery though.

I just wish he got out of China and fought abroad so we could see how he looks against top guys consistently. Would have been cool to see him in Glory. Too bad he slowed down, not even sure he's still fighting. He had 1 fight in 2017 and that was the last we saw him.

Furthermore, their fights are often biased towards the chinese fighters
Do you mean the judges?

I know some chinese promotions (WLF) for instance often give hometown decisions, but from the little i've seen of Fang Bian, the wins seemed legit? Perhaps not against Doumbe though. Haven't seen it

Fang Bian is the most legit among the 3 fighters . Yilong's fights were funnily biased. Not helped by the commentators. I am trying to fing his fight with enrico kehl.

Do you mean the judges?

I know some chinese promotions (WLF) for instance often give hometown decisions, but from the little i've seen of Fang Bian, the wins seemed legit? Perhaps not against Doumbe though. Haven't seen it

The problem with the WLF fighters of his era is that their non-chinese opponents were often touted as some international champions when these opponents were not as famous as stated.

I find that an annoying feature in almost all combat sports.

They majorly do it in the UFC and they did it big time in the world combat league.

Even in Glory they overhype things a bit.

I’d say in K-1 they tended to focus on calling the action and the fights rather than hype.

Back