Social Families of Sandy Hook victims score victory in lawsuit against Alex Jones, Infowars

The jones spectacle will set another legal precedent, further eroding free speech. And we will cheer it along like good little boys and girls.

I used to think you're a crazy nut job but i'm starting to realise you are actually a troll and quite a good one at times

Why we're people walking in circles iver and over after the shooting. God, what a weird incident.

Yeah, obviously. That doesn't really answer my question as to why the records are important though.

Internal communications could show that Jones new what he was saying was false and was knowingly defaming the parents.

That's all arbitrary though, and protected by freedom of speech. He's no different that The National Enquirer in that regard. You don't all of sudden get those rights taken away, because you have a big audience.

My thing is, it seems the defamation case cut and dry. I don't know what it matters how "Infowars" operates outside of this case. Yeah, they peddle bullshit, but that's not a crime. This case against him might actually be tougher than it seems because of that fact.

I don't know. I haven't really looked into it all that deeply.

The National Enquirer has settled many law suits against it.

The National Enquirer has settled many law suits against it.

I'm sure they have, as conspiracies can harm people's lives and reputations, if they are directly implicated. Slander comes with the territory, and you gotta be careful.

"Sandy Hook was a hoax!"

Fine.

"Sandy Hook was a hoax, and the father(insert name here) was in on it!"

Not fine.

The jones spectacle will set another legal precedent, further eroding free speech. And we will cheer it along like good little boys and girls.

Slander is not protected speech.

I'm sure they have, as conspiracies can harm people's lives and reputations, if they are directly implicated. Slander comes with the territory, and you gotta be careful.

"Sandy Hook was a hoax!"

Fine.

"Sandy Hook was a hoax, and the father(insert name here) was in on it!"

Not fine.

This. These are not new laws and not a conspiracy. Alex Jones crossed a well established line.

Yeah, a precedent that you can't be a slandering sack of shit. Sounds good to me.

Yeah, a precedent that you can't be a slandering sack of shit. Sounds good to me.

Using already established laws. Nothing new is going on here we are just re enforcing that you cant be a lying slandering con man and get away with it. Oh the horror.....

The hidden piece of info here that explains why libel is suddenly considered OK by some is that they actually believe Alex Jones is telling the truth.

Al-Hack Jones is a turd. There is nothing fishy about sandy hook at all. It was a disgusting massacre, and anyone trying to make money off of, or undermining the pain of the families are disgusting.

As for the first amendment/free speech issue-there is none. The government has done nothing to stop jones from spouting his toxic lies, not have the government attempted to prosecute jones for his disgusting nature and comments. That is what free speech and the first amendment protect. That is ALL. The government has done nothing at all to infringe upon his 1st amendment rights. And ONLY the government can infringe upon those rights.

That means that no one person, group of persons, or private business can infringe upon those rights. And by me saying “they can’t” I don’t mean that they are not allowed to, I mean that nothing they say or do is infringing on those rights.

That means that Facebook can silence you, kick you off of their platform, or call you a piece of shit hack-and IT IS NOT AN INFRINGEMENT NOR A VIOLATION OF HIS FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS!!!

Do we have that cleared up? Do all you guys claiming that his 1st was infringed upon, or otherwise violated get that complicated concept?

As for the lawsuit, is that infringing on his rights? Nope! Having the first amendment rights means that the government will not prosecute you for saying something that is protected, which is almost anything. BUT, that does not mean that being able to say anything comes without consequences. People can, and will sue you if you defame them, or say things that are not true that harm a person financially, or harm their reputation.

Now, we go onto the subject of censorship. Facebook has the right to curb what you say on their platform. Radio stations have the right to curb what you say on their station, or whether they allow you to say anything. That is not censorship. Censorship is a school board not allowing certain kinds of books, say science books. Censorship is the government saying that Alex Jones can not be on the radio. Back to the school example, They have every right to pick their curriculum, and they certainly can not carry mature material in their library. That is not censorship.

Do we have that clear?

Good. Now that you have been taught a lesson on the first amendment, you have absolutely no excuse to continue to show your ignorance.

Back