1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Falufalump Works Out:

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Falufalump, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

This will keep me honest. And, it'll let me write. I want to start BJJ. First Log will be up tonight, post-workout. Have a good day :-].

2. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

I'm working off of the Neanderthal No More Part 5 workout from Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson.

T NATION | Neanderthal No More - Part 5

There is the link for it, for those interested.

Some information regarding myself. I've been training since March 2010. That is when I got a gym membership. I had always been chubby/fat kid throughout most of my life. Around high school age I picked up even poorer eating habits and became very skinny. Later, I trained for an eating contest that never occurred and became fat again. Since that time, I've become incredibly, passionately interested in BJJ, MMA, and all forms of exercise science.

That being said, I love to read.

Anyways, today's workout consisted of:

A) Rack Pull with Exaggerated Scapular Retraction: 8 sets of 3. S1: 95 S2: 135 S3: 155 S4: 175 S5: 205 S6: 205 S7: 175 S8: 175.
    A2) Heavy breathing and leaning on things: 90 seconds.
    B) Rack Pull with Exaggerated Scapular Retraction - back off set: 1 set of 15 - 20 reps.
    S1: 20 Reps @ 155.
    C) Lunge off 6 in. Box: 3 sets per side of 8 reps. S1: 45 (The bar) S2: 65. S3: 45.
    D) Replaced Kneeling Squats with Hip Thrusters. Did 3 sets of 8 reps. S1-3: 95.
    E) Replaced Full Contact Twist with Pallof Press: Did 3 sets 8 reps. S1: 50. S2-3: 40.

Notes: 205 is my 5RM deadlift weight. So, pulling it six times off the pins was a nice feeling. The weight for the lunge off a box is very low, I am aware, but my hip stability and, "feel," for the movement is still building. I have some pretty funky hips. Single leg movements really help to square me up. And, I find they add some interesting cardio, because you are spending twice the time under tension, as compared to a bi-lateral movement.
    This was my first time trying out Hip Thrusters with a bar, and that was an interesting event. Trying to set the bar up on the pins, and coordinating that feat with the bench seemed to take forever. Add in finding proper padding for the bar. In total, I spent a lot of time today laughing with my friend about how silly we felt.

Write you tomorrow :-].

3. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

I am going to restart this log. Although, it never really got started in the first place.

Currently, I am just getting back into the gym after over a year not going consistently. I have fiddled and faddled a lot lately, and am pulling out of an emotional slump. I feel pretty withered.

As of tonight, I weight ~142 lb/64.7 KG @ 5'7". My diet has been very sporadic. Some days I don't eat anything, somedays I don't eat until late into the night, and other days I binge on sweets/junk. My overall strategy is to build back up with whole foods (potatos, beans, oatmeal, meats, greens, etc.) slowly. I think adding small goals that are easily attainable/reproducible is the best way to build up to bigger successes.

First diet goal (keep me honest): One sweet potato and regular potato a day.
    First exercise goal: Pick my exercise programs for the next six months.

The exercise goal is related to joining the Game of Deathlifts competition, as part of the Deadicated Bar Benders :p. I am really excited to be in this competition, as I re-immerse myself into the iron sea.

Tonight's workout, the first step in a good, long jaunt:

Deadlift:
    Barx5
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    205x1
    225x1
    235x1

Press:
    barx5
    75x1
    95x1
    105xfailed
    100x1

One Arm Dumbbell Row on Bench:
    30x8
    35x8
    40x8

Notes: My best deadlift was a double @ 255 lbs. But, that was at a bodyweight of 160~, so I am very happy with that lift, and pretty surprised. My press is feeble, but expected. I need to do a lot more pressing. I think my tecnique needs a fair bit of improvement.

I will post videos of the lifts tomorrow morning.

Good bye for now :-].

4. calvus

calvus Getting Crunk

Welcome to the logs (again)!

5. AlbionOakley

AlbionOakley Orange Belt

re-welcome

6. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

Tuesday 1/8/2013

Dan John's Complex A from this Rebuild Yourself With Complexes

So three rounds @ 5 reps of:
    Row
    Clean
    Front Squat
    Press
    Back Squat
    Good morning

Weight was: bar, 75, 65.

Barbell Glute Bridge/Push Ups:
    8x135x3
    10/15/10

Alternating Pull Down
    8x50x3

Just playing around with this workout, trying to get a feel for the gym again. I found the pulldown variation from Michael Boyle's, A Comeback For Lat Pulldowns.

This week is about fun and consistency. I start my more focused program Sunday morning :-].

Nutrition wise, I have been packing away potatoes and milk. Also started taking a fiber supplement (psyllium husk), which has created for heavenly poop.

Sleep is good, classes just started for this quarter, so the grind has only just begun :-].

7. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

:-]! Been doing well on eating. I weighed about ~ 146 lbs today, the weight is going up, and that is good. I am starting a consistent program Sunday, one I got from the Elite Fitness Systems charity programs manual. I think they do it every year. It had a ton of programs in it for ten bucks, and I picked it up a long time ago. It is nice to dig around into. I have found two programs out of there that I think will carry me the next 20+ weeks.

Got a chance to spend more time in the gym tonight, and had a lot of fun.

1/11/2013
    Warmed up with lunges, thoracic extensions.

Bench Press
    8x65, 8x75, 8x95.

Goblet Squat
    8x45, 8x45
    Dumbbell Three-Point Row
    8x40
    Squats
    5xBar, 5x95 (Front squatted this), 5x115, 3x135
    Step-ups
    5 minutes.

Lots of dinking around, having fun, and just dong whatever. Didn't want to do too much of anything to stifle my first day of the program Sunday, so kept loads low, volume moderate for me.

8. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

Hi again :-].

Today, I started Dan John's (can you tell I like his work?) program from the article Lessons From Southwood.

And, with it I used the warm-up described in the article The Perfect Warm-Up? by Tony Gentilcore.

I should mention that I was glued to the Seahawks-Falcons game this morning, and as such barely made it to the gym in time to get everything done before work this afternoon. As such, I did my, "warm-up," as filler during my rest periods of the main exercises from the Southwood program. It really added a nice conditioning aura to what was other just technique work and grooving.

1/13/2013

See above article for "warm-up"

Cleans:8xbar, 6xbar, 4xbar
    Press:8xbar, 6xbar, 4xbar
    Front Squat:8xbar,6xbar,4xbar
    Bench:8xbar, 6xbar, 4xbar

Notes: I had to pause during the cross body carry with my right arm high, due to fatigueing more quickly. That was surprising, as I generally think of my right arm as the stronger one. I use the word strong very loosely :p.

Weight will go up Tuesday, and we will see how that goes.

On the nutrition front, I have had the hunger of a thousand lions. For me, it feels like I am devouring food. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and immediately go to the kitchen, which begins the feasting. No holds barred. All foods into my throat.

Last night, while visting friends, I ate: three pieces of pizza, an orange, sweet potato (yellow kind) covered in peanut butter, and assorted cookies and chocolates.

It feels good to have an appetite again :-].

9. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

Program marches on! From here on out all weights will be in pounds.
    1/15/2013

Warm Up: Same Tony Gentilcore warm-up as in post #8.

Clean: 55
    Press: 55
    Front Squat: 55
    Dumb-bell Bench Press: 25

Notes:8, 6, 4 rep scheme on all exercises, again. Workout felt good, cleans are coming along well. I bought a DVD/Manual for training Olympic lifts. Excited to train my clean up. I should record it some time. Front squat I will be using a cross-handle grip.

[​IMG]

Like that. But, with a lot less weight. And not a sweet sweater. Or capris. Or Boat shoes. Or a chunk of wood under me.

Weights feel good, going to move up again next workout.

Food is good, eating all the time, it feels like.

In Swole,
    Falufalump.

10. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

1/17/2013

Warm-Up: Same Tony Gentilcore wam-up. The carries are feeling great, especially paired with the mobility work. I can definitely use the grip and upper back training that comes from all the weighted walks.

Clean:8, 6, 4
    Press:8, 6, 4
    Front Squat:8, 6, 4
    Bench Press:8, 6, 4

Moved to 70 lbs for all the exercises today. The cleans need all the practice I can get, but are still feeling good. I like this program and warm-up combination. I am feeling good, this being my first week back in the gym in a very long time. Walking before running, horse before the cart :-].

11. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

1/20/2013

Warm-Up: Same carrying/mobility exercises again. Keeping the carrying weight the same, although it is starting to feel easier. I will be conservative, not trying to inhibit the program with too heavy of carries. Also, the mobility exercises are feeling easier. I am definitely noticing gains in my movement after this first week.

I am terrible at wall-slides.

Cleans/Press/Front Squat/Bench Press:
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4

All @ 80.

Notes: My grip on the cleans started to go. I have been using double overhand, but I should probably start practicing hook grip. The press was a real struggle for the final reps on all three sets. I have never done much OHP, so 80 for 8 reps is a pretty sweet feeling.

I have been eating a lot, and I weight about 151 pounds now.

12. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

1/22/2013

Warm-Up:TG Warm up.

Clean/Press/Front Squat/Bench Press:
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4

75# today.

Notes: Scaled back to 75 for a couple reasons. First, 80 was pretty challenging, and I really struggled on those last couple reps. More importantly, I got a sinus infection and spent most of Monday laying in bed, not eating much of anything. I am down weight today, and it felt like a good idea to work with 75 instead of moving up to 85. Also, I may have been jumping the gun by going from 70 to 80. Slow and steady will win this race.

Cleans are also feeling better, with less going into the trash can technique wise.

I developed bruises on my collarbones from cleaning/front squatting. They sort of looked like hickeys.

13. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

1/24/2013

Warm-Up:Modified version of the TG Warm-up. Pretty much the same, except for the crossbody carry was omitted.

Clean/Press/Front Squat/Floor Press:
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4

Notes:
    I am still sick. This workout was done at home with my 35 lb. Kettlebell named Teddy. It is named after Teddy Roosevelt of course. I did each set per arm, so although the weight was lower, I got double the volume. It was very invigorating, actually, and I feel good post-workout. Although, it is worth noting my right shoulder is feeling a little impingey. We will see if this persists.

14. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

1/27/2013

Warm-Up:Still rolling with the carries and mobility exercises. This feels great, and I like picking up heavy dumb bells (for me).

8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4

Back @ 80# post-illness.

Notes: Cleans keep developing. I really enjoy doing cleans. Some of the last reps in the first two sets were pretty lazy. Press felt really good today, which is a big improvement over last week when 80# barely went up for the reps. I need to stay a little more upright in the front squat, I think.

My bodyweight is back to around 150, after dipping down a bit during my illness.

15. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

1/29/2013

Warm-Up:TG Warm-up, but with some goblet squats thrown in.

Clean/Press/Front Squat/Bench Press:

85#

Notes: 85 pounds was challenging, cleans are trucking right along. The press had some grinders in it. I need to work on just getting to depth with the front squats, and not lingering into the hole too deep, or I round. I wish I had A2G hip mobility, but I have parallel and a little change. Bench press technique feels better.

Lots of eating and sleeping. Feeling great :-].

16. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

1/31/2013

Warm-Up:Same old TG warm-up. Went a little heavier on some of the carries (The next dumbbell up the tree).

8, 6, 4
    [8, 6, 4]*
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4

Notes: Cleans felt good, except for one fail that I made up. Press became push presses :p. Last rep of 1st set, last two reps of 2nd set, and all the reps in the third set. Front Squat felt cleaner, getting better depth awareness. Bench press felt heavy, but pretty smooth technique wise.

I weigh about 148 pounds right now, and feel good :-].

17. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

2/4/2013:

Warm-up: Cleaning with the bar. Need the practice!

Cleans/Push Press/Front Squat/Bench Press:
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4

Notes: All weight was 90, except for the bench press was 95, because I couldn't find 2.5 lb plates. Weight felt easy, it was a good technique day. Very quick, crammed in work out.

18. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

A double whammy, as I haven't updated this past two workouts :-]!

2/6/2013:

Warm-Up: Just did the mobility exercises from the Tony Gentilcore warm-up I hve been using. This workout was done at night after work @ around 10:30. So, I felt pretty warm already.

Cleans/Push Presses/Front Squat/Bench Press:
    8, 6, 4,
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4

@95#
    Notes:I really enjoy cleaning. This work out was surprisingly fun, and not too hard. I had a training partner, so time went quickly.

19. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

2/8/2013:

Warm-Up:Stuck with just the mobiltiy exercises again. I also practiced some clean progressions and front squats with just the bar.

Cleans/Push Presses/Front Squats/Dumbbell Bench Press:
    8, 6, 4,
    4+4, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4
    8, 6, 4, @ 35/40/45

All the rest @ 95#.

Notes:First time doing cleans from the floor instead of from the hang. Took about the secon set until I felt more comfortable with the difference in rhythm. The push presses are a little cranky, as I am figuring out ideal rack position. I caught some cleans high and my clavicle is cranky/bruised :p. Front squats were deep, smooth, and challenging. The bench presses were in use, so I just dumbbelled it. Wasn't sure where to start, but ending on 45's seemed smooth at the end.

147.6 pounds earlier today, with not much in my stomach. More potatoes needed! :p.

20. Falufalump

Falufalump Green Belt

2/10/2013

Warm-Up: Felt crummy, and skipped the warm-up (always a mistake). Did clean progressions, and cleans with the bar.

Clean:65x5, 85x5, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5
    Press:85x5, 85x5, 85x5, 75x5, 75x5
    Front Squat:85x5, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5
    Dumbbell Bench Press:40x5, 40x5, 40x5, 40x5, 45x5
    Deadlift:135x5, 155x5, 155x5, 155x5, 155x5

Notes: Need to get under my cleans more. I felt sluggish today, and everything felt heavy and slow :p. Not the best start to the new program, but it was a decent session.