Movies Falling Down(1993 movie) theory

If the movie were set today, there'd be a "Korean convenience store owner wouldn't make change for a dollar" thread in the War Room and/or Mayberry.

if that would have happened, then it would be the most boring fucking movie of all time

really not sure what were supposed to discuss here or how this is a "theory"

what if superman wasn't actually an alien and didn't have any extraordinary abilities and was just a regular dude?

Last edited:
It's one of my favorite movies. The scene where he hits the fast food place for breakfast but misses it by like a minute is pretty noteworthy as well.

There's a deleted scene where he gets a parking violation ticket after he leaves the convenience store.

If the Korean guy gave him change, then the parking ticket would've been the ignition to set him off.
It would've been more fun to the plot if he didn't get change AND got a parking ticket.

There's a deleted scene where he gets a parking violation ticket after he leaves the convenience store.

If the Korean guy gave him change, then the parking ticket would've been the ignition to set him off.
It would've been more fun to the plot if he didn't get change AND got a parking ticket.
Strange, I’ve never seen any extra deleted scenes but damn it sure seems like I rembered that one in the movie.

Fukin’ Mandela and shit man

Well it's just the reality/timeline wherein D-Fens couldn't get the quarter which makes the movie, but I think if he continued down his path and his wife
Something else that day would have set him off. Dude was ready to snap.

If not that day then somewhere down the line since human behavior wasn't going to change and so the things that were making him angry, but the events in the movie were the perfect storm of a bad day that got worse plus the heat making emotions run higher.

Strange, I’ve never seen any extra deleted scenes but damn it sure seems like I rembered that one in the movie.

Fukin’ Mandela and shit man

Could have been in a network or cable tv cut, they often used deleted scenes due to having to fill say an entire 2-2.5 hours in a normally 90 minute film (plus having to cut out some violence, language, nudity, and sexual situations meaning lost time).

He left the car in the middle of a traffic jam though, I dont think he ever intended on going back to it

The movie reminded me a little of the classic "The Out of Towners" (1970).

Wait where’s the theory.

The proposed theory in the op is that the Korean guy gives D-Fense 4 quarters for his dollar while he had his cash register open and had just broken a fresh roll of quarters, then maybe the whole movie never happens. Maybe then instead of just breathing into the phone like a creep when his wife finally picked up the phone he's able to say something and she caves and lets him come see his daughter for a few minutes on her birthday. Maybe he gets his shit together and goes back to his car to drive over there instead of walking through LA and being triggered by something around every corner. Just a thought, I was more interested in anyone smarter than me chiming in to point out any symbolism or subtext that might have went over my head or just any conversation about the film in general. It's my favorite movie.

This is a movie I'm definitely watching again soon, loved this movie back in the day. Probably one of my alltime favourites actually.

A couple weeks ago I saw the trailer to that new Russell Crowe movie Unhinged and it made me want to watch Falling Down again. It's a great movie and it's been awhile since I've seen it.

It makes you wonder about these mass shooters and people going back to former jobs and lighting the place up. What series of events led them down that dark path as fucked up as they are.

So many movies in the 90s were about middle aged dudes who were miserable because of office life.

The 90s focused so much on criticizing modernism.
It's no wonder we're in a postmodernist era.
Word. The 90s knew that offices were demasculining. American Beauty, fight Club etc kinda pointed that out. Too bad globalisation and financial crisis made people happy to just have anything. Kinda sad that's where we've gone to

Change or no change, he was going home.

Something maybe not so obvious about that movie that I notice: Almost every speaking character in the movie is an asshole, or ball-less (Pendergast). Only Pendergast's partner, Not economically viable man, and the clerk at Whammy Burger are not assholes.

I heard a Mandela Effect theory that Tom Arnold was actually the lead in Falling Down.

Same here actually. I find him pretty plain and wooden in most roles, but he really stands out here.

I'd say normally he's good enough not to spoil the films, stuff like Black Rain or The Game I enjoy a good bit but he does end up a little bland in those kinds of thriller roles compared to say Mickey Rouke or Nick Cage.

Back