Opinion Faking news stories or staging events for mass media consumption needs to be CRIMINALIZED.

Amerikuracana

Life allows the illusion of relativity
Banned
Reaction score
The act of staging events for purposes of fake news stories needs to become a felony that producers, and even reporters can be charged with. There can be a couple levels of it, with the lower levels being a misdemeanor or even just a fine infraction; for example standing in a creek to portray an image that flood waters are everywhere when higher ground to stay out of the water is all around. That can be just a fine, and maybe a Misdemeanor; but the staging of entire events, or even the majority of an event to push an agenda needs to be criminalized, up to and including felony charges.

I'm sorry to post from a group that has had some shady results themselves in the past, but I believe what they are reporting here is legit.

Please post examples of the other 10 times I can think of off the top of my head where something like this was done in the last few years.

Staging events to pass off as news needs to be criminalized. Agree or disagree? Why?

Last edited:
You need to look in to the Smith/Mundt act my friend.

EDIT: Supposed to be used to influence foreign countries. Also is an authorization to use public funds under government guidance to do so.

lol... Most of the CNN reporters would be in jail by now

You need to look in to the Smith/Mundt act my friend.
Yeah that bill is a piece of crap. "And for other purposes" is intentionally vague, and creates an odd power that shouldn't exist. It's like the bill was designed to put the government somewhat in control of the propaganda that other media entities may have wanted to put out anyway. It's like, "You can put out propaganda, with our permission." Really gross. If the propaganda makes the government happy and/or is ordered by the gov then they will reimburse the media company's for releasing it. This is just another step in an unholy, inappropriate relationship between big tech, media, and the government.

I don't understand how Americans allow their media networks to outright lie, fabricate and brainwash the public.

There can be a couple levels of it, with the lower levels being a misdemeanor or even just a fine infraction; for example standing in a creek to portray an image that flood waters are everywhere when higher ground to stay out of the water is all around. That can be just a fine, and maybe a Misdemeanor

It's strange, because you are claiming you want "fake news" to be illegal, while quoting a "fake news" meme about Anderson Cooper that has probably reached 10x more people than the original live broadcast.

There are varying versions. Some say he was on his knees, to make the water appear deep. Some (like you) say he was standing in a ditch to pretend "flood waters are everywhere" and no high ground is available. Donald Trump Jr. said he was faking the footage to make his father look bad.

Literally none of that is true. The footage was from 2008, almost a decade before Donald Trump was the president. He was not on his knees, he was actually walking around throughout the clip. He was not pretending there was no high ground, he was displaying the varying levels of the flood water throughout the entire clip, often on split screen. He literally says in the clip that they are next to a portion of the road that only has a few inches of water multiple times and they show the road repeatedly throughout the clip, which they are using for evacuations. His camera men are standing in the shallow area, since...they have cameras and they aren't waterproof.

They literally had the shallow water, and the deeper water, on split screen multiple times while they talked about the varying water levels. There was nothing misleading about any of it.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/anderson-cooper-hurricane/

But that meme has probably been shared millions of times. I've seen it dozens times just on this one forum.

The act of staging events for purposes of fake news stories needs to become a felony that producers, and even reporters can be charged with. There can be a couple levels of it, with the lower levels being a misdemeanor or even just a fine infraction; for example standing in a creek to portray an image that flood waters are everywhere when higher ground to stay out of the water is all around. That can be just a fine, and maybe a Misdemeanor; but the staging of entire events, or even the majority of an event to push an agenda needs to be criminalized, up to and including felony charges.

I'm sorry to post from a group that has had some shady results themselves in the past, but I believe what they are reporting here is legit.

Please post examples of the other 10 times I can think of off the top of my head where something like this was done in the few years.

Staging events to pass off as news needs to be criminalized. Agree or disagree? Why?

Project Veritas is exactly the kind of Fake news you rail against in the O.P. O'Keefe lies / edits videos out of context to mislead people. He may even have a point in this specific case but when you cry wolf like O'Keefe has, don't expect people to trust him.

CBS screwed up a lot here

They used Italy footage to show New York

and then showed the story about the nurse who cried about not getting a PPE, when it turned out she did and she was actually crazy

Project Veritas is the epitome of fake news.

It's strange, because you are claiming you want "fake news" to be illegal, while quoting a "fake news" meme about Anderson Cooper that has probably reached 10x more people than the original live broadcast.

There are varying versions. Some say he was on his knees, to make the water appear deep. Some (like you) say he was standing in a ditch to pretend "flood waters are everywhere" and no high ground is available. Donald Trump Jr. said he was faking the footage to make his father look bad.

Literally none of that is true. The footage was from 2008, almost a decade before Donald Trump was the president. He was not on his knees, he was actually walking around throughout the clip. He was not pretending there was no high ground, he was displaying the varying levels of the flood water throughout the entire clip, often on split screen. He literally says in the clip that they are next to a portion of the road that only has a few inches of water multiple times and they show the road repeatedly throughout the clip, which they are using for evacuations. His camera men are standing in the shallow area, since...they have cameras and they aren't waterproof.

They literally had the shallow water, and the deeper water, on split screen multiple times while they talked about the varying water levels. There was nothing misleading about any of it.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/anderson-cooper-hurricane/

But that meme has probably been shared millions of times. I've seen it dozens times just on this one forum.
I don't know about any of that and did not think of Cooper. The Weather Channel got caught doing this I believe, both with water, and then with wind. No "crime," but misleading even on that level should be a fine to say "Please don't do that." I vaguely remember something with Cooper now, but that isn't what I was thinking of. I'm kind of thinking this is a political, yet not very partisan concept.

Yeah let's trust Project Veritas and James O'Keefe

This is the same group that tried to get WaPo to publish a fake story on Roy Moore.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Veritas
Please find something better than Wikipedia for something with political motivations for God sake.

I'm not a huge follower of Project Veritas. I believe this particular story. I do not think CBS should be staging news. Period.

CBS screwed up a lot here

They used Italy footage to show New York

and then showed the story about the nurse who cried about not getting a PPE, when it turned out she did and she was actually crazy

yea, people like this...these attention whores (or tools of media manipulation) should go to Prison.

same for the people who fabricate "hate crimes."

lmfao @ pimping Project Veritas (who have put out a legendary string of fake reports), without irony, to suggest that fake news should be illegal. No self awareness at all. You're a parody, and an ignoramus.

be29f5477d663267555c210afffe807d@2x.jpg

I don't know about any of that and did not think of Cooper. The Weather Channel got caught doing this I believe, both with water, and then with wind. No "crime," but misleading even on that level should be a fine to say "Please don't do that." I vaguely remember something with Cooper now, but that isn't what I was thinking of. I'm kind of thinking this is a political, yet not very partisan concept.

There is so much fake news spread by high profile people. I'm talking about real fake news, as in completely fabricated and or entirely misleading.

Remember the whole "Part and parcel" fiasco? People still quote that, but it is entirely fake.

The Mayor was literally saying the opposite:
“Part and parcel of living in a great global city is you’ve got to be prepared for these things, you’ve got to be vigilant, you’ve got to support the police doing an incredibly hard job. We must never accept terrorists being successful, we must never accept that terrorists can destroy our life or destroy the way we lead our lives.”
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...iq-khan-should-have-been-corrected-abc-admits

Or the fake news about Michelle Obama saying she was only proud of America because her black husband was President. When in reality, she had been giving that speech since well before he was even the nominee, and the reason for her pride was seeing the country coming together behind a positive message? How many millions of times has that fake meme been shared? People still call her a racist because of it.

Or how about this entirely fabricated set of fake crime stats from Trump from an entirely fabricated source, complete with a masked black man and a sideways gun:
2YAS4DNBVI7I3GENM3ZEJXICUU.png

Just crazy unbelievable stuff being circulated by the now first family of the United States. I'm not sure how you hold them legally accountable though. I mean, think of the impact this type of misinformation has on people, and unlike news agencies, they never run retractions when it turns out to be fake.

lmfao @ pimping Project Veritas (who have put out a legendary string of fake reports), without irony, to suggest that fake news should be illegal. No self awareness at all. You're a parody, and an ignoramus.
No you guys are the ones that are not self-aware. There are 20 of these staged stories in the last year or two, and this is the one I happened to see today. I even acknowledged that Project Veritas has had some sketchy issues in the past in my OP. Flail away dumbass. Seriously getting sick of lying, literally stupid leftists around here unable to talk about anything like an adult. Anybody else getting tired of them?

So are you saying that the interviews done in this piece are fake interviews? Are you saying CBS didn't do what is asserted here? What are you saying besides childish garbage?

Back