Fake News = Fake Liberal

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fake News is a Trojan horse to censorship. You liberals spouting this fake news BS, are book burners.

You know, because some ideas are just too dangerous, like communist undertones in The Catcher and the Rye. We need to burn some books here to protect the innocent little children.

Fear tactics, and lying about what we are talking about are the tools of these fake liberals and book burners. We aren't talking about the danger of fake news, we are talking about state approved media.

I am a economic progressive. You corporate, liberal, elite mother fucker's need to give the people the Democratic party back.

Serious question: Is dis-information considered protected speech? Anyone with a legal background want to chime in?

Why is this a liberal vs conservative thing?

Take this site for example...

ABCnews.com.co

This site is not affiliated with ABC News Television group/Disney ... yet its URL and logo mimic it. It has published many stories which were completely false, only to be debunked after they already went viral thanks to social media.

Regardless of the content of this site, and your political leaning, wouldn't you agree that sites like this exists simply to deceive people (and make money from ads doing so) ? Wouldn't you agree this a form of fraud that we should maybe think about dealing with?

It seems like the only reason this is is turning into a left vs right issue is because the fake news seems to be benefiting one side more than the other.

Corporate, liberal, elite mother fucker's what?

ABCnews.com.co

This site is not affiliated with ABC News Television group/Disney ... yet its URL and logo mimic it. It has published many stories which were completely false, only to be debunked after they already went viral thanks to social media.

Regardless of the content of this site, and your political leaning, wouldn't you agree that sites like this exists simply to deceive people (and make money from ads doing so) ? Wouldn't you agree this a form of fraud that we should maybe think about dealing with?

It seems like the only reason this is is turning into a left vs right issue is because the fake news seems to be benefiting one side more than the other.

It's a complicated issue, because the term "fake news" has such a broad definition.

I also think the benefit to one party is an illusion. It was used as one of many excuses by the left as to why Hillary lost, so now it's an evil that must be taken out. Yeah, I didn't hear any of this when "fake news" outlets were publishing phony pictures of Obama's birth certificate.

It's a complicated issue, because the term "fake news" has such a broad definition.

Not really... this term came out recently and is being use to describe these type of sites. Sites that just make stuff up to misinform people & make money off the traffic, and never print retractions for their stores when they are debunked, and are not held to any type of journalistic standard.

I also think the benefit to one party is an illusion. It was used as one of many excuses by the left as to why Hillary lost, so now it's an evil that must be taken out. Yeah, I didn't hear any of this when "fake news" outlets were publishing phony pictures of Obama's birth certificate.

I don't recall very many fake news sites being around last election cycle... they may have been, but definitely not of the amount we have seen this year. I do recall some real news sites publishing opinion pieces which painted a candidate favorably or unfavorably... which has always been done. But I don't remember very many news sites straight up reporting on things that never happened such as...

• President Obama signed an order banning assault weapon sales
• FBI Agent Suspected In Hillary Email Leaks Found Dead In Apparent Murder-Suicide
• The US Supreme court revoked the tax-exempt status of Scientology

Judging based on the use of the terms here, I've totally lost track of what a liberal or a conservative is supposed to believe.

Not really... this term came out recently and is being use to describe these type of sites. Sites that just make stuff up to misinform people & make money off the traffic, and never print retractions for their stores when they are debunked, and are not held to any type of journalistic standard.

So what about satirical outlets like The Onion? Shut them down too? It's a very broad term, that casts a very wide net.

I don't recall very many fake news sites being around last election cycle... they may have been, but definitely not of the amount we have seen this year. I do recall many real news sites publishing opinion pieces which painted a candidate favorably or unfavorably... which has always been done. But I don't remember very many news sites straight up reporting on things that never happened such as...

• President Obama signed an order banning assault weapon sales
• FBI Agent Suspected In Hillary Email Leaks Found Dead In Apparent Murder-Suicide
• The US Supreme court revoked the tax-exempt status of Scientology

They've been around for years. The Clinton "murder conspiracies" for instance, have been circulated for years from all sorts of outlets. Then there are other conspiracies, backed up with compelling "fake news" headlines, like the Sandy Hook shooting being phony, and outlets pointing to witnesses being crisis actors.

The only reason it seems more prevalent today, is because the media is telling you it is. They could've run this same story in 2012. It's only being focused on now, because Hillary lost. If she had won, none of this would be getting any coverage, and it wouldn't even cross your mind to think that it was a serious problem.

ABCnews.com.co

or we could teach people to look at hyperlinks and critically think for themselves

So what about satirical outlets like The Onion? Shut them down too? It's a very broad term, that casts a very wide net.

The onion describes itself as "A farcical newspaper featuring world, national and community news." Clearly not trying deceive people or to pose as a real news source. Plus the stories are done for humor and are usually so farfetched that most people wouldn't confuse them with real stories (although sometimes idiots actually do) .

They've been around for years. The Clinton "murder conspiracies" for instance, have been circulated for years from all sorts of outlets. Then there are other conspiracies, backed up with compelling "fake news" headlines, like the Sandy Hook shooting being phony, and outlets pointing to witnesses being crisis actors.

The only reason it seems more prevalent today, is because the media is telling you it is. They could've run this same story in 2012. It's only being focused on now, because Hillary lost. If she had won, none of this would be getting any coverage, and it wouldn't even cross your mind to think that it was a serious problem.

Not familiar with the "Clinton murder conspirancies"
Yea I remember people saying the Sandy hook shooting was made up. But again those were opinions of CT sites on an event... I agree that those opinions probably misinformed many people. But there's a difference between stating your opinion on something that was already reported on, vs completely making up an event that never happened.

The onion describes itself as "A farcical newspaper featuring world, national and community news." Clearly not trying deceive people or to pose as a real news source. Plus the stories are done for humor and are usually so farfetched that most people wouldn't confuse them with real stories (although sometimes idiots actually do) .

That's the problem with the term. It doesn't discriminate. If it's "fake news" then it's all fake news.

Not familiar with the "Clinton murder conspirancies"
Yea I remember people saying the Sandy hook shooting was made up. But again those were opinions of CT sites on an event... I agree that those opinions probably misinformed many people. But there's a difference between stating your opinion on something that was already reported on, vs completely making up an event that never happened.

They were opinion pieces, backed up by bullshit stories about the people being interviewed in the aftermath. A lot of articles were not presented as mere "speculation".

Like I said, this is only being focused on because Hillary lost. You have to be pretty naive to think that these kinds of outlets spreading misinformation, just sprang up for the 2016 election.

Oh, and look up the Clinton Murders. It's a trip.

or we could teach people to look at hyperlinks and critically think for themselves

Lots of people are looking at these from their smartphone and click on link from social media... kind of hard to analyze the actual URL.

Also I think people are thrown off because they aren't really expecting the news to be fake... since most of times they have clicked on a link from FB or whatever social media, it has been real.

Yea thinking critically would be great though... unfortunately easier said than done. At least making more people more aware of fake news is the first step, so all this talk about it is something hopefully.

Lots of people are looking at these from their smartphone and click on link from social media... kind of hard to analyze the actual URL.

Also I think people are thrown off because they aren't really expecting the news to be fake... since most of times they have clicked on a link from FB or whatever social media, it has been real.

Yea thinking critically would be great though... unfortunately easier said than done. At least making more people more aware of fake news is the first step, so all this talk about it is something hopefully.
I don't know about anyone but myself, but I always check hyperlinks before I click. I'm not going to download a virus onto my smartphone. this is incredibly basic to me and should be taught to everyone on the internet.

would have saved podesta from getting phished

Judging based on the use of the terms here, I've totally lost track of what a liberal or a conservative is supposed to believe.

Liberalism is really simple. Liberals believe in constitutionally limited gov't that protects basic rights, representative democracy, equal rights, rule of law, and that policy should be judged by outcomes. Conservatives can be more complicated because they can also hold liberal beliefs, though increasingly in America, they do not.

Like I said, this is only being focused on because Hillary lost.

This was a major topic of discussion *before* the election, when Clinton appeared likely to win. What's interesting here is not just that you're saying something that is obviously false, though; it's that you're saying something that anyone living who follows the news should remember is false. We're not talking ancient history or some obscure story. Fascinating look at how partisanship overpowers thinking in your posts in this thread.

This was a major topic of discussion *before* the election, when Clinton appeared likely to win.

No it wasn't.

What's interesting here is not just that you're saying something that is obviously false, though; it's that you're saying something that anyone living who follows the news should remember is false. We're not talking ancient history or some obscure story. Fascinating look at how partisanship overpowers thinking in your posts in this thread.

You're a clown.

Liberalism is really simple. Liberals believe in constitutionally limited gov't that protects basic rights, representative democracy, equal rights, rule of law, and that policy should be judged by outcomes. Conservatives can be more complicated because they can also hold liberal beliefs, though increasingly in America, they do not.
Well that's about how I see it, but as I said, as used here.

Mainstream media already censors by non-reporting, bias and selective presentation.

Any negative immigrant news? Radio-silence from mainstream TV news.

No it wasn't.

You're a clown.

Typically intelligent response from you.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/how-macedonia-became-a-global-hub-for-pro-trump-misinfo

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/11/can-facebook-solve-its-macedonian-fake-news-problem.html

And so on. Absolute proof that you are wrong, though I'm sure you'll find a way not to admit it.

Well that's about how I see it, but as I said, as used here.

I'm curious how much is ignorance and how much is just propaganda. Like, it's easy to say, "the left wants to white genocide us" but harder to argue about ideal tax rates, and obviously people recognize that and prefer argueing about why "white genocide" is bad to getting into the weeds on fiscal policy.

Typically intelligent response from you.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/how-macedonia-became-a-global-hub-for-pro-trump-misinfo

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/11/can-facebook-solve-its-macedonian-fake-news-problem.html

And so on. Absolute proof that you are wrong, though I'm sure you'll find a way not to admit it.

Not remotely comparable to the blitz we saw after the election.

"CNN is a right wing news outlet, that is biased in favor of Donald Trump."

- Jack V Savage

Clown.

Back