fake black belt at UFC gym

Nobody has really touched on this, but how about how the owner of the gym doesn't seem so concerned that he has a fraud instructor?

I get that he is probably scared and in defense mode for his business, but he was more about "what do I need to do to get you to accept this fraud", than "what do I need to do to make up for this mistake and get rid of this guy".

Dude you don't know comes into your gym and accuses your instructor of being a fraud off of one roll that you didn't even witness and you expect him to do what? Completely believe this dude you have never met or spoke with!?

I think he handled it fine, "ok, what do I need to get to show he is legit". Pretty good question if you ask me.

Customer has an issue, you address it and find out what would be needed to resolve it...... Or you just kick your I structor out straight away for getting tapped x3 and questioned.

Nobody has really touched on this, but how about how the owner of the gym doesn't seem so concerned that he has a fraud instructor?

I get that he is probably scared and in defense mode for his business, but he was more about "what do I need to do to get you to accept this fraud", than "what do I need to do to make up for this mistake and get rid of this guy".

you can tell the owner is just a regular gym manager who bought into a UFC franchise. He clearly has no idea about belts or nothing sadly

Maybe the owner is just s owner and really does not know a lot about the sport so he just hired who he though was legit? I don't know. It's really weird the guy would not say where he got his belt from though. Maybe the purple belt is really good since he only been train since 2011 and is a purple

The owner was thinking "holy smoke, I knew I should invested into a Mc Donald franchise instead of this UFC franchise" !

This place literally just opened this week if I'm not mistaken and ThatBJJGuy is correct too I believe. This is not a place to get legit BJJ training. It's more of a Thaibo/cardio kickboxing with MMA gloves that teaches shitty BJJ with a fake instructor.

I hope the guy gets exposed and brings legit someone in.

Unless he's a really, really good purple it shouldn't happen 3x in a roll. I've never met a black belt who wasn't clearly better than me (a purple belt), even the ones I've been able to handle I didn't dominate. I've also never seen a black belt of that age in that bad of shape, not who still trained anyway. It would be one thing if he got his guard passed and couldn't recover, I could chalk that up to being out of shape or old, but to get subbed 3x? Sub defense is mostly about technique not athleticism. Shouldn't happen.

I was mostly playing devil's advocate but didn't hear that it was 3 times in a row. I just thought it was once(was at work when I watched it so wasn't paying the closest attention). They probably need to check his credentials then.

Why do people always say this? Why go to the extreme of both sides (world class vs hobbiest) to try and make a point? That isn't the norm and not what is being talked about. People arnt talking about a world class purple.

The norm is that a black belt handles a purple. That's just the status quo. No one wants there point disputed by "well, one time this amazing thing happened so your normal everyday point is moot".

well, for once, I was quoting a poster who said worlclass.

Also, while yes it is the norm, it is not rare at all to get to see brand new purples handling black belts...

when you have kids that started training at the age of 8, by the time they get their blue, theyve been training for 8 years, by the time they get to purple, they could very well been training for 8-10 years. do you think its not commun to get an 17-18 years old athletic beast whos been training for a shit ton of time to handle some 40 years old black belt? it is not weird at all.

This place literally just opened this week if I'm not mistaken and ThatBJJGuy is correct too I believe. This is not a place to get legit BJJ training. It's more of a Thaibo/cardio kickboxing with MMA gloves that teaches shitty BJJ with a fake instructor.

I hope the guy gets exposed and brings legit someone in.

I do agree with what Title Fight Productions said also about not seeing the roll. The manager did ask a very good question. I'm sure this fake BB has to prove himself now or be kicked out

I actually sent an email to the place asking if they needed help sourcing a legit BJJ guy (not me, I am a shitty brown belt). See if he responds.

Dude you don't know comes into your gym and accuses your instructor of being a fraud off of one roll that you didn't even witness and you expect him to do what? Completely believe this dude you have never met or spoke with!?

I think he handled it fine, "ok, what do I need to get to show he is legit". Pretty good question if you ask me.

Customer has an issue, you address it and find out what would be needed to resolve it...... Or you just kick your I structor out straight away for getting tapped x3 and questioned.

Yeah, i guess he does handle the situation pretty calmly and rationally. Don't want to just fire a guy without learning as much as you can about the situation.

If this gym really did just open up that week, then I'm sure this isn't how he wanted to start off his new business.

you can tell the owner is just a regular gym manager who bought into a UFC franchise. He clearly has no idea about belts or nothing sadly

Definitely. I didn't get the feeling that he was in on some sort of conspiracy to trick people into poor training. More like he just didn't know any better, and this fraud dude probably had fairly cheap rates.

I couldn't care less what color a guys belt is, or what color they claim it is. I really couldn't. I don't know why anyone else does either, unless the guy is trying to charge to train people, I guess.

Guy fucking killed him with his response.

Q: "What do you want him to produce to prove to you that he is a black belt?"
A: "Ability."

That really sums it up.

But the guy was charging people for classes. Thats why he said to the purple belt "we need to get you in for some classes" lol.

But the guy was charging people for classes. Thats why he said to the purple belt "we need to get you in for some classes" lol.

That doesn't seem to be the main point of contention, though. It seems to be a lot more 'I worked so hard for my belt" and a lot less "you aren't qualified to teach". Maybe I'm wrong.

really not much to see in that video. the filmer certainly did not go about all this in the best way, though it would not be a shocker if that guy was not actually a blackbelt. A search of jeremy varney makes him seem like a pretty shady character with no thing suggesting he has a black belt. nowadays, almost all bjj schools with blackbelts have a websitr with a list of head and assistant instructors. would be strange for someone to make it to black without ever being on one of those sites.

This reminds me of those stolen valor videos where people get caught trying to act like they served in the military.

One of my teammates was a 1 or 2 stripe blue belt when he no gi grapple fucked and subbed a brown belt in a tournament. Not unheard of at all really. I'd say it's more of the exception to the rule but if he's skilled, strong and well conditioned, yeah it's a rough night for the other.

One of my teammates was a 1 or 2 stripe blue belt when he no gi grapple fucked and subbed a brown belt in a tournament. Not unheard of at all really. I'd say it's more of the exception to the rule but if he's skilled, strong and well conditioned, yeah it's a rough night for the other.

The tapping really doesn't matter but a legit black belt week work defense from hell if they felt they were in trouble. I'm not saying it doesn't matter somewhat but his non response is what is raising the questions. He even said I'll bring my black bent in next time.

Back