Fake belts

really..one time i go next door neighbour teach class..iwant to see their student how good...i walk in wear yellow belt..but i white belt..wear white belt very embarrass..i dont like embarass.but i fight with grey belt..he try to do a dragonstyle spin back kick of the crimson skies hidden temple on me..but i do strong uppercut on him..my hand touch chin and come out of top skull.he say sorry and he exchange belt on me..i say no need wear your belt bad...your skill is very no.make me very embarass to wear your belt..i kick instuctor in face and spit
ROFLMAO! :icon_lol:

Which martial arts was that? And btw, you sound like GSP :D

Tae-Kwon-Do

I really dont have the shape of GSP :p but like i said...it was open class...i weight 225 ans the other guy weight 170-180. Back kick was always my best kick...when i aim it...i rarely miss my target ;)

Are you saying the lack of a belt system is hindering it?

Also wouldn't the success of the UFC and other MMA promotions be great for NOGI since that's basically what MMA ground game is?

I think he means there would be a lack of people dedicated enough to stick with it.

Guys would come in, get their ass kicked, and leave, it would be a revolving door. When you get handled by a guy with a purple belt on you automatically have some information about how experienced he is and you have a benchmark of skill to work toward yourself. The belts are a motivating factor, they reward dedication. And with a belt that shows your rank you don't have to prove yourself every time you roll.

Without that, it would be hard to walk in as a beginner and understand why some guys you roll with hand you your ass and other guys don't. A lot of people would just attribute it to "he's bigger/faster/stronger/whatever" and wonder what is the point? And it could be harder to get guys to slow down and work on technique because they want to rack up "gym wins" to establish a higher place in the pecking order.

I don't think someone will do BJJ for 10 years just to be a BB. I think they will do it because they enjoy it.

But it is the carrot at the end of the stick that keeps you going back for more training.

A lot of team members have a goal to get their BB within a certain amount of years, it is normal to have a plan.

Tae-Kwon-Do

I really dont have the shape of GSP :p

I suspect he was referring to your broken rhythm caused by too many ellipsis, makes things read like you are having to translate things before saying them. Which is odd in written communication... (Threw one back at you there ;))

As for "spies", I think people give them too much thought. I would bet that 99% are not there as a result of the other school or instructor asking them to go and spy on some other school, just general curiosity on the part of the student. "Shopping around" I guess you would call it.

Show them a good time, be friendly and helpful. The last thing you want is for them to feel any sort of negative vibe due to being a "outsider". Then they can fairly tell anyone they meet that asks them about different schools that they visited yours and it was less then friendly.

Best case scenario they have such a positive experience they join permanently, and tell everyone how great your school is. Worst case is they go back to their home gym and report that it was a very fun, friendly atmosphere and have problems with the cone of silence while giving that report.

Tae-Kwon-Do

I really dont have the shape of GSP :p but like i said...it was open class...i weight 225 ans the other guy weight 170-180. Back kick was always my best kick...when i aim it...i rarely miss my target ;)
where are you from?

Tae-Kwon-Do

Comment ca va mon ami? ;-)

Yeah, I meant that if I would actually hear what you wrote I would sound like GSP speaking.

I make a tournament when i was 18...it was some kind of open class. i was white belt and fight someone who was yellow belt. I beat the shit out of him...the fight stop when i back kick him in the chest when he tried a superman punch and he fly on the judge table. The guy have early 30 and he finish at the intensive care with crack sternum and nomber of broken rib....by clear conscience, i visit him at the hospital and he told me he was in reality a blue belt but he wanted so bad a medals to impress is friend hes downgrade himself....i just laugh at him and leave

So what youre saying is, you are not impressed with his performance?

Nah just sometime...belt mean nothing...Go in Korea...having a black belt can take 10 year, they ve got TKD university, but when youre in america...you can have a black belt in 4-5 year training 3 time a week...some place a know in montreal can have you a black belt in a couple of year if you show the money...I don't really believe in belt exept if they come from a great teacher ( ex Gracie )

Nah just sometime...belt mean nothing...Go in Korea...having a black belt can take 10 year, they ve got TKD university, but when youre in america...you can have a black belt in 4-5 year training 3 time a week...some place a know in montreal can have you a black belt in a couple of year if you show the money...I don't really believe in belt exept if they come from a great teacher ( ex Gracie )

Gracie is an awesome teacher!

but really, its much easier to count the non legit guys then count the legit guys. Belts mean a lot from almost every instructor, bjj still has not gotten watered down...however theres a few bad apples starting to pop up and some legit guys who got dollar signs in their eyes that are changing.

and from what Ive seen, people get tkd blackbelts much faster then 4-5 years around here.

Back