Fake belts

Leon

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Have you ever experienced a guy coming to your gym with for example a purple belt, telling everyone how awesome he is and shit and then getting clearly exposed by 4 stripe white belts and "new" blue belts?

This exactly what happened one time in my school. A dude came in with a purple belt and then my coach found out later that the dude was from another school, he just came in to watch the training methods of my coach. I don't know why the fucking guy had to come in as a purple and even get his ass whipped by 4 stripe whites...really weird stuff.

never happen..

i have some guys that self demoted themselves from blue to white and that pissed me off.

I was at a tournament and a guy who was a brown belt competed as a blue and totally dominated. He just wanted to get some 1st place medals and shit. Really weak stuff.

I never understand guys who do this. It's one thing I love about no gi....

Because they felt they didn't deserve it, or for competition purposes?

I guess they came to a new club and wanted to have a fresh start.

I think it was disrepectul towards to the master that gave them their blue belt.

I never understand guys who do this. It's one thing I love about no gi....

I agree,

However, on its own without belt system and the sudden sucess of UFC, I have my doubt on the longevity of NOGI somehow!

Eh, belts are kind of meaningless.

one thing ive always respected about JiuJitsu is that it's always just seemed to boil down to how dedicated the person really is, as opposed to what color your belt is. Like, your belt is a sign of how experienced you are, but a hardworking blue has the ability to beat to a lazy purple.

I dunno, it's just always seemed like that to me.

Striking is just so different. If i went to my old dojo, i'd smack the shit out of kids that just got their yellows, not because theyre not harderworking than i am, just because it's much more generic, and patterns are easier to recognize.

As for "Fake Belts", there are always going to be guys who arent as good as they think they are. I think to a certain extent, none of us, myself especially, live up to the idea of a fighter they wish to be, but some guys just arent living in reality.

Plus, the more decorated you get, the less "hungry" you get. When i used to box, i went down in weight and thought "oh, i'll knock everyone the fuck out", and i was fighting guys who had barely any fights and really took it to me.

You get caught up in yourself, not really in a "cocky" way, but in the idea that the status youve worked your way toward is untouchable. Im sure BJJ can be similar in that respect.

Quite honestly, if i was even a Brown, i couldnt imagine what a cocky bastard i'd be, even thought that contradicts my first point.

I agree,

However, on its own without belt system and the sudden sucess of UFC, I have my doubt on the longevity of NOGI somehow!
Are you saying the lack of a belt system is hindering it?

Also wouldn't the success of the UFC and other MMA promotions be great for NOGI since that's basically what MMA ground game is?

Are you saying the lack of a belt system is hindering it?

Also wouldn't the success of the UFC and other MMA promotions be great for NOGI since that's basically what MMA ground game is?

the belt system is curse but it get people to train for at least 10 years in BJJ for a BB.

because of the popularity of mma, nogi without belt system is benefiting.

but I doubt its longevity without the belt system and kids watching ufc.

I've seen people come in severely under ranked and severely over ranked.

Yes I've seen people come in with fake belts, most often after getting stomped they either leave or self demote.

the belt system is curse but it get people to train for at least 10 years in BJJ for a BB.

because of the popularity of mma, nogi without belt system is benefiting.

but I doubt its longevity without the belt system and kids watching ufc.

I train nogi at a primarily nogi gym.
and we get belt promotions.
They're less frequent and pretty meaningful.

Our purple "belts" are friggin tough!

Im not against the belt system. It just has to have meaning. The focus should be on training, and eventually the belt will follow.

I know a blue belt who went to Renzo's NYC academy and all the pictures on his facebook showed him wearing a white. Never found out why...

We had one guy come by to "try his free class" as a white belt, then we saw him soon after at NAGA as a purple from another local school...funny though that other schools send in narcs to check things out because we have open mat for anyone.

I think you need belts. I do not like the idea of saying: over 2 years grappling you are in advanced or whatever. There are people that go to class 2 times a week and people who go 6 times a week.

In a school I would say belts are a pretty decent indication of where you stand in your school. Most schools you will not see a blue tooling a brown.

as far as one belt difference goes, there can be a bit more variation. A 4 stripe belt beats a new blue or 1 stripe blue 50% of the time would not be a surprise.

There is not other Martial Art where a belt is more indicative of skill than BJJ.

I don't think someone will do BJJ for 10 years just to be a BB. I think they will do it because they enjoy it.

A dude came in with a purple belt and then my coach found out later that the dude was from another school, he just came in to watch the training methods of my coach.

so a guy who was not a student at your school came into your school wearing a purple belt and your coach found out he went to another school?

The power of deduction.

so a guy who was not a student at your school came into your school wearing a purple belt and your coach found out he went to another school?

The power of deduction.

Haha, you're right, kind a confusing :D

I meant that my coach found out the headcoach of another school sent this guy over to his school to check things out. He came in as a purple belt and got his ass kicked.

I make a tournament when i was 18...it was some kind of open class. i was white belt and fight someone who was yellow belt. I beat the shit out of him...the fight stop when i back kick him in the chest when he tried a superman punch and he fly on the judge table. The guy have early 30 and he finish at the intensive care with crack sternum and nomber of broken rib....by clear conscience, i visit him at the hospital and he told me he was in reality a blue belt but he wanted so bad a medals to impress is friend hes downgrade himself....i just laugh at him and leave

I make a tournament when i was 18...it was some kind of open class. i was white belt and fight someone who was yellow belt. I beat the shit out of him...the fight stop when i back kick him in the chest when he tried a superman punch and he fly on the judge table. The guy have early 30 and he finish at the intensive care with crack sternum and nomber of broken rib....by clear conscience, i visit him at the hospital and he told me he was in reality a blue belt but he wanted so bad a medals to impress is friend hes downgrade himself....i just laugh at him and leave

Which martial arts was that? And btw, you sound like GSP :D

really..one time i go next door neighbour teach class..iwant to see their student how good...i walk in wear yellow belt..but i white belt..wear white belt very embarrass..i dont like embarass.but i fight with grey belt..he try to do a dragonstyle spin back kick of the crimson skies hidden temple on me..but i do strong uppercut on him..my hand touch chin and come out of top skull.he say sorry and he exchange belt on me..i say no need wear your belt bad...your skill is very no.make me very embarass to wear your belt..i kick instuctor in face and spit

Back