Fake BBs - does it really matter?

not really, i know legit gyms that don't exactly encourage an "open door" policy. While it seems good in theory, in practice you realy don't want any crazy tom, dick, or harry coming in. People have bad hygiene, spread staph/ringworm, spazz out, cause problems ect.

Welcome to Sherdog?

I thought filthy spazzes stealing cell phones and raping people were central to martial arts culture. That's the regular students and teachers. :icon_twis

It isn't the walk in students. Walk in students are either experienced martial artists wanting to train or young guns trying to test themselves. The kind of person willing to confront the danger of going into another gym has their shit together.

The kind of person you are worried about might come into a gym and tell stories of how badass they are, but they aren't going to put on gloves. They will fight a stranger in a bar or parking lot, but not another fighter.

I've trained at big reputable gyms on vacation. I'm 250 pounds and they put me in front of people from 130-300 pounds. I sparred and rolled with everyone. No one backed down. No one was scared.

Sometimes they make you do class before you spar to see if you are dangerous or they make you spar the head man first, but no one almost ever gets hurt and rarely is the new comer a problem.

The sorts of lawn crappers you are talking about live in any gym where the head man is afraid of offending people spending money.

Gyms that say, "we don't allow new people to spar or roll because we are afraid of germs or spaz," are just covering up for being scared. They mad they bad. How do you know someone isn't going to spread ring worm? You follow new people into the locker and give them a head to toe check?

It isn't the walk in students. Walk in students are either experienced martial artists wanting to train or young guns trying to test themselves. The kind of person willing to confront the danger of going into another gym has their shit together.

The kind of person you are worried about might come into a gym and tell stories of how badass they are, but they aren't going to put on gloves. They will fight a stranger in a bar or parking lot, but not another fighter.

I've trained at big reputable gyms on vacation. I'm 250 pounds and they put me in front of people from 130-300 pounds. I sparred and rolled with everyone. No one backed down. No one was scared.

Sometimes they make you do class before you spar to see if you are dangerous or they make you spar the head man first, but no one almost ever gets hurt and rarely is the new comer a problem.

The sorts of lawn crappers you are talking about live in any gym where the head man is afraid of offending people spending money.

it's not about being scared, alot of times it's just not worth it. This is different than you knowing someone in the gym/contacting the instructor, informing him of your background and then droppign in. I know several people who are off in the head and have trained for a whiile. All of us has stories about people like that.

If you are afraid of spaz you should be as against belts as I am. I've never seen more spaz in any martial art than BJJ. Watching a 1 stripe blue belt getting his guard passed or being thrown by a 3-4 stripe white belt and how quickly it can escalate into bad intentions flail spaz is hysterical. That's shit that has never happened in front of me in a no gi gym, but man, dudes that have a hard on to get that, "worlds greatest jujitsu player" mug / new colored belt are the most dangerous people in martial arts because they think public accolades mean something.

For the record, so I can quote this later, my opinion on belts:

Belts have three legitimate uses.

1 - Curriculum Organization - "Blue belts do this. White belts do that."

2 - Short Term Goals - For the extrinsically motivated, the belt lets the student know that despite a lack of internal drive or self awareness that an authority figure thinks that he is making progress.

3 - Coming of Age - Young men need a coming of age ceremony and a black belt can provide that. For it to do so, the belts have to be taken seriously in the context of learning to fight or learning to teach, so that the black belt is paired with TRUST as an adult, without which it is meaningless.

Other uses, such as cult hierarchy, public accolades, or sand bagging tournaments are not legit uses in my opinion. If they were really for tournament use I should be allowed to ask any tournament host for a black belt anytime I want to compete against black belts, or from any coach after beating any black belt in any contest, but that isn't how it works.

Last edited:
Hum . I understand that you do not respect the belt system in bjj and just bad about it.

I understand that one person can run a good grappling club without any formal bjj belt ranking.

But I still cannot how someone that needs to lie about being a bjj bb in order to run a club can be a good thing.

Hum . I understand that you do not respect the belt system in bjj and just bad about it.

I understand that one person can run a good grappling club without any formal bjj belt ranking.

But I still cannot how someone that needs to lie about being a bjj bb in order to run a club can be a good thing.

For the record, again, I am not in favor of frauds. I am speaking out against the cult hierarchy and the exaltation of belts which entices people to lie about their credentials.

People lie about their bjj belt in order to make money.
Not sure why you complain about the cult hierarchy in bjj.

The day there will be no cash to profit in teaching bjj, no one will give a dam about belt.
But the cult system will still exist within the sport.

The 2 are not related.

curious to get some opinions on this:

There was a brown belt instructor that had a gym about 1.5 hours away from us. He claims to have been training for 11 years, been a brown for like 6 or so. Anyways, he wasn't really "under" anyone because there simply weren't any black belts any closer than our area. He would essentially go to seminars from big guys and try to claim affiliation with them, in hopes of being able to get a black belt. He wouldn't with them or anything like that, just go to their seminars etc.

He finds out about our gym, and hits up my coach about being an affiliate and training under him 2 times a week, and someday he could get his BB. He starts training with us, but only comes once a week. This was when I was a 1 year blue, and was about 30lbs lighter then him. I will be kind and leave at... He was like a turtle on its back when we rolled, and my entire game was bottom up until that very point... He actually approached my coach about not rolling with certain purples and blues...

Anyways, after 4 weeks of showing up once a week, and then 4 weeks of once every other week, he disappeared, cut all contact, etc. fast forward a year he is on his facebook page with a black belt. No ceremonial pictures, no announcements, nothing, just one day randomly he is wearing a black belt in his pictures...

Someone eventually asks him when he got it and from which instructor? He listed someone who was a 4 stripe blah blah blah but nothing could be found about this guy on any BB database, bjj heroes, or just a google search.

Now this guy has on site advertising THE ONLY BRAZILIAN INSTRUCTOR or some shit. oh and his site, there is no mention of him getting his black belt...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back