Fake BBs - does it really matter?

of course it matters. people should know about a guy who's lying about his credentials. if he lies about that, he'll lie about anything. plus, putting that out there might help people avoid getting shafted, cheated, gypped, etc. that's the power of the internet. it matters a whole lot.

and fake boobs are awesome. natural boobs are awesome but so are fake boobs.

I really dont get this natural boobs are great fake not...fuck tht I love fake boobs.

It is more than an art.

Once you are a BJJ BB, you have a lineage. You belong to a succession of BBs.

If someone lies that they got their BB, they better make up some fake names on who they got their belts from because claiming a fake lineage of an existing person is terrible.

Skimming over the Choque book; Carlos/Helios claims to have learned from Maeda are put into question along with their competition record. However, good things did develop out of it over time.

Claiming a blackbelt and faking your lineage have been there from the very start of BJJ.

I really dont give a fuck about belts since im learned enough to spot bad instruction from good instruction, but i think its a nice thing BJJ got. Plenty of talent is wasted in scammers and lousy instructors in many martial arts.

That being said BJJers are pretty anal about belts, competition is more than enough to separate the trash from the good.

if the fake BB's all moved to an island and taught their fake techniques to each other, then it would not be a problem.

But, in almost all instances, they are out there trying to capitalize and make a living by misrepresenting their skill level. Of course competition can show who the posers are, but how many instructors actively compete and teach? The BB's that I have had the pleasure to meet mostly instruct and dont compete much if any. Are you going to walk in and demand a resume or a roll to see if they are legit? Probably not.

Unless they're fraudulently training others, I couldn't care less. I don't know why anyone else does, either.

you should care if you sworked your ass of to achieve black belt and some guy down the road is training and going around saying he is. it should matter.

you should care if you sworked your ass of to achieve black belt and some guy down the road is training and going around saying he is. it should matter.

Lots of people say they bench 330 and squat 475, that doesnt makes me go and call them out.

No. How long do they last? One google search, done.

One roll, done. You can't fake it on the mat!

Lots of people say they bench 330 and squat 475, that doesnt makes me go and call them out.

Sure, but if a guy is running a weightlifting gym and making false claims about how much he lifts and the weightlifting contests he has run, he'll get called out right fast.

Or if somebody applies for a job claiming to be a marine, when they never served, to take a more extreme example.

Every grappling and athletic discipline has ways of policing and rooting out the fakes, even though the criteria for legitimacy are different in their respective fields. Judoka don't care much about black belts, for example, but Jesus Christ the amount of fuss about Dan grades .... and the controversies ... No grappling community likes to see frauds in their midst, deceiving the public about their qualifications in the art. If it's just your drunken uncle claiming to be a kung fu master while being obnoxious at a wedding, that's rather different than somebody opening up a judo or BJJ school and fraudulently claiming expertise. And in that scenario talking about competitions and such doesn't help either ... policing is fully warranted.

There aren't too many making a living lying about benching 330 and squatting 475 unless they are selling juice.

No one likes a lier except other liers. Its one thing to embellish a little, its another to just flat out lie to rip someone off. That is whats going on here. What if someone in your family was being trained by this guy?

if you wanna brag then be able to back it up.

lying and cheating people is not cool.

...If it's just your drunken uncle claiming to be a kung fu master while being obnoxious at a wedding, that's rather different than somebody opening up a judo or BJJ school and fraudulently claiming expertise...

That made me lol!!

I don't care if it's just some jackass at a social event. Then it's just whatever.

I do care if it's someone teaching people and ripping them off. And let's be honest here. The main reason people claim BJJ black belt is because you can rip off your marks for more money.

Exactly.

Again, unless they're fraudulently charging money for training they aren't qualified to give, I don't care.

if you wanna brag then be able to back it up.

lying and cheating people is not cool.

Your issue, like most people here, seems to be the universal issue of being a cheat, NOT claiming to be a black belt. Unless I misunderstand you.

i dont see how anyone could think it doesnt matter that there are bjj blak belt frauds out there...

Exactly.

Again, unless they're fraudulently charging money for training they aren't qualified to give, I don't care.

Your issue, like most people here, seems to be the universal issue of being a cheat, NOT claiming to be a black belt. Unless I misunderstand you.

I don't like people lying and cheating people when people that train know how hard it is to achieve the rank. I dont think it's right.

I don't like people lying and cheating people when people that train know how hard it is to achieve the rank. I dont think it's right.

Ok. Well, I guess I'd just point back to Rod1's quote, and ask what the difference is, really?

I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to feel how they feel, I just don't get it. I'm also 20 years in at this point, so my give-a-fuck-o-meter is slightly worn.

Yes it matters. BJJ separates itself from other pajama arts by having high skill bars for belts, which essentially all instructors maintain. If we lose that, we lose a big piece of what makes BJJ different from TKD.

Well said. How would you feel if you'd paid to train somewhere for a couple years, and then visited dome other school to learn your technique is shit because your bb is fake?

Yes it does.

Over the course of your training, you will spend thousands of dollars of your money, and thousands of hours of your precious time, training under a person with the expectation that what they're teaching you is coming from the mind of someone who is an expert in their field.

To spend all of that time and money with a "fake" instructor is a major slap in the face.

sad that people have to explain shit like this to people on this forum.

Back