Fake BBs - does it really matter?

Rivet L

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't quite understand the internet's obsession with fake BBs in BJJ. As long as the guy isn't running a cult or ruining people's lives, does it really matter?

I was under the impression that the whole point of BJJ competing/live-training environment, was that you can demonstrate your capabilities in a live setting. Does the belt really matter that much?

While I understand the impulse to dojo storm the guy and make a condescending viral video (rorian gracie style). I just wish it didn't come along with a self-righteous attitude.

I thought this thread was going to be about fake BooBies. Never mind then...

On second thought yes, both fake belts and fake boobies are bad.

The thread about the UFC Gym in Texas...to a person who's earned his brown belt and lives in DFW that knows at least 15 Legit Brown/Black belts who run/teach/assist at schools that could be teaching there and earning money...yes it fucking matters.

I usually look down on people who got their judo black belts from McDojo type places, I'm sure I'd do the same for BJJ.

There isn't enough BJJ black belts round here to be able to fake it though.

Yes it matters. BJJ separates itself from other pajama arts by having high skill bars for belts, which essentially all instructors maintain. If we lose that, we lose a big piece of what makes BJJ different from TKD.

Yes it does.

Over the course of your training, you will spend thousands of dollars of your money, and thousands of hours of your precious time, training under a person with the expectation that what they're teaching you is coming from the mind of someone who is an expert in their field.

To spend all of that time and money with a "fake" instructor is a major slap in the face.

don't ask stupid questions or you will feel the power of the lug wrench

It doesn't matter to me in terms of technique. The most technical instructors I've ever seen have been purple belts. I think blue belts are great self defense and amateur mma instructors when everything else is good.

What matters to me about it is that the fake black belt doesn't believe in himself enough and is trying to shore up that confidence with a song and dance. It is no different than any other insecure bragging. If they don't believe, it is hard for me to believe in them.

If anything, I think BJJ instructors should be working to diminish the focus on belts, not inflating their status by drawing attention to them.

Unless they're fraudulently training others, I couldn't care less. I don't know why anyone else does, either.

I don't quite understand the internet's obsession with fake BBs in BJJ. As long as the guy isn't running a cult or ruining people's lives, does it really matter?

I was under the impression that the whole point of BJJ competing/live-training environment, was that you can demonstrate your capabilities in a live setting. Does the belt really matter that much?

While I understand the impulse to dojo storm the guy and make a condescending viral video (rorian gracie style). I just wish it didn't come along with a self-righteous attitude.

So we should not be self righteous to announce who is a fake BB in the our BJJ community!

People hate frauds. How is that remotely surprising? It's human nature to make frauds and cheaters pay.

"Let him who is without sin ...." No, seriously, fuck frauds and cheaters.

Yes it matters. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to achieve that black belt. It is an insult to true black belts who have put in the hard work, blood and tears that it took to become a black belt. It is not just a matter of having that belt. Everyone saying belts don't matter are fooling themselves. When you get that black belt you are showing everyone how much work you put into mastering the art, especially in BJJ.

It doesn't matter to me in terms of technique. The most technical instructors I've ever seen have been purple belts. I think blue belts are great self defense and amateur mma instructors when everything else is good.

What matters to me about it is that the fake black belt doesn't believe in himself enough and is trying to shore up that confidence with a song and dance. It is no different than any other insecure bragging. If they don't believe, it is hard for me to believe in them.

If anything, I think BJJ instructors should be working to diminish the focus on belts, not inflating their status by drawing attention to them.
I mean this in a nice way but you aren't at the level to say this. You are still at the stage where you don't know what you don't know yet.

Yes it matters. BJJ separates itself from other pajama arts by having high skill bars for belts, which essentially all instructors maintain. If we lose that, we lose a big piece of what makes BJJ different from TKD.

The two people that I've come across with "fake" bjj belts, were fairly marginal. One of them, didn't actually even teach but hired others that could.

I've also come across several legitimate BBs that weren't that good, were terrible instructors, or were just essentially crooks.

Then there's the age factor: the older the practitioner the less high the expectation.

And questionable promotions have always been a part of BJJ in Brazil (at least in rumor). This notion of sanctimony was mostly created for marketing purposes within the US.

I guess when looking for an instructor/school, I could give a shit about lineage. I'm more interested in competition record, quality of instruction, and training structure. Unfortunately, a black bet and lineage, do not vouch for any of the above.

Last edited:
Unless they're fraudulently training others, I couldn't care less. I don't know why anyone else does, either.
Same here. I do not understand all that butthurt about belt. I must be too old. :(

Unless they are setting up McDojos and make people pay for fake martial arts I do not care. I do not want to waste years and learn nothing.

It is a "Martial ART". Just like all other "arts", including painting, sculpture, music and dance, there's always a lot of snobbery, gossip and hand-wringing about what is "genuine". There are ass kissers, posers and a lot of people talking about "so and so's" work not being real, people taking money and attention from "real" artists, and who went to what school. Human nature.

Ultimately, nothing really matters more than what you can do on the mat, in competition.

For the majority of practitioners, it is a leisure activity, albeit an important, all consuming, therapeutic leisure activity.

of course it matters. people should know about a guy who's lying about his credentials. if he lies about that, he'll lie about anything. plus, putting that out there might help people avoid getting shafted, cheated, gypped, etc. that's the power of the internet. it matters a whole lot.

and fake boobs are awesome. natural boobs are awesome but so are fake boobs.

It is a "Martial ART". Just like all other "arts", including painting, sculpture, music and dance, there's always a lot of snobbery, gossip and hand-wringing about what is "genuine". There are ass kissers, posers and a lot of people talking about "so and so's" work not being real, people taking money and attention from "real" artists, and who went to what school. Human nature.

Ultimately, nothing really matters more than what you can do on the mat, in competition.

For the majority of practitioners, it is a leisure activity, albeit an important, all consuming, therapeutic leisure activity.

That note about "art" is actually quite insightful. Thank you.

It is a "Martial ART". .

It is more than an art.

Once you are a BJJ BB, you have a lineage. You belong to a succession of BBs.

If someone lies that they got their BB, they better make up some fake names on who they got their belts from because claiming a fake lineage of an existing person is terrible.

The best option is to name someone that passed away so no one can ask them. lol.

Back