fairtex, venum, gorilla (help me decide)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by xmikex, Sep 27, 2010.

1. xmikex

xmikex White Belt

hey guys im lookingto get a nice pair of sparring gloves since my twenty dollar ones arent the nicest. i have read the reviews for these guys but need someone to push me in one direction i cant make up my mind.

im going to be getting sixteen oz. gloves and dont really want giant gloves on my hands. i know the gorillas are suppose to be slimmer then most gloves but they are almost the same price as the venum and fairtex gloves and well fairtex is fairtex and you cant really go wrong with it. the venum gloves also looks awesome and heard some good reviews about them.

so any input would be awesome :icon_chee

2. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

I spar with Ringside IMF's. I think you've commented on those before, saying they're too bulky.

The only other comapct gloves I've seen are TopTen. They're having a 15% off sale right now with the "Sept-15" coupon:

TOTIRO-USA TOP TEN Superfight 3000 Leather Boxing Gloves

Should come out to around $84.

3. dtravis92

dtravis92 Orange Belt

For what you want (not to have giant gloves) you cant go wrong with the Gorilla's or a pair of Top Ten's. I have pairs from both and they are both compact gloves. I have never tried Fairtex though, but I have read on here that their BGV1's are excellent gloves that are also on the smaller side. Really you cant go wrong with any of these brands, i didn't include Venum because i haven't read anything about the quality of their equipment.

4. armstrong*skier

armstrong*skier White Belt

+1 for gorillas
    i love mine

5. xmikex

xmikex White Belt

thanks guys i will look into the gloves that you guys recommended, i just want some nice gloves that will last me

6. Or some rival sparring gloves. They're pretty small too and feel great

7. Sebaz

Sebaz Yellow Belt

I started with Ringside Top Contender gloves (awesome gloves for the ~$35 price tag), and graduated to Fairtex when I started competing more. Being a thai style glove, they're less bulky, and have a shorter wrist support, however they seemed much more rigid than the Ringsides. My instructor actually ordered the same Fairtex gloves and we both love them. The price tag is obviously higher, however. I think I paid $109 for mine.

8. mikiemike87

mikiemike87 Blue Belt

+1 for Gorrillas or Top Tens. I've never tried the Gorrilla gloves, but they look really similar to Top Tens. After trying out and collecting a lot of gloves, the Top Ten's are my favorite for sparring. They're compact, and has a lot of padding. Probably the nicest sparring gloves for you and your sparring partner I've tried.

9. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Wow, that's a big statement. I may just try them out.

Have you tried Primetime MMA? They have some of the best quality material use din gloves I've seen.

10. xmikex

xmikex White Belt

what about warrior inc gloves? i know that they usually make shorts but i noticed they started to make pads and gloves and was wondering if they are worth looking into. There "pro" sparring gloves are only fifty five bucks alot cheaper then any of the three i mentioned.

11. pox

pox Orange Belt

+1 rivals

12. mikiemike87

mikiemike87 Blue Belt

No I haven't tried Primetime. I was checking out their primetime mma glove or the aries glove, but its really hard to justify buying stuff these days when I have a surplus of gear...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  13. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

I have both gloves actually. The PrimeTime's are single handedly the best quality leather I've encountered, even when compared to the thicker cowhide from Thailand.

Both PrimeTime and Aries are made in Pakistan, however while both are quality leather and stitching, the Primetime's are just A+ material.

That being said, the Aries have a softer, more broken-in padding than the Combat Padding of Primetime. I imagine the PT's will last just fine in the long run.

The Aries are recommendable for people needing a purely sparring based MMA glove: it's compact, quality material, and superb IMF padding are ideal for people looking to dish out hits or go to the ground.

The PT's are recommendable for fighter's looking to cross-train between mitts and sparring, and want the best quality material out there.

14. Sebaz

Sebaz Yellow Belt

They're a synthetic leather, probably not a very high quality, and they look pretty much just like the $16 Everlast glove.

15. xmikex

xmikex White Belt

ok thank you