Fairtex Super Sparring Gloves and Thai Sparring Differences??

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by jawbreakerd4, Aug 10, 2010.

1. jawbreakerd4

jawbreakerd4 White Belt

Anyone know what the differences are between Fairtex's Thai Sparring gloves(TG15) and their Super Sparring gloves(TG16)? The only differences I can see from pictures are maybe the length of the cuff looks longer on the TG16 and the TG15 looks like it has more padding on the knuckles. I am just trying to figure out what will best work for me if I am doing both Thai sparring and boxing. If anyone has used either of these gloves or has some awesome knowledge any advice would be appreciated.

TG15 - Fairtex Thai-Style Sparring Gloves-Combatsports.com
    TG16 - Fairtex Super Sparring Gloves-Combatsports.com

2. Stifton

Stifton White Belt

The thai style looks like the BGV1 too me. I think the TG15 code shown is just an ordering code for combat sports.

So if you search BGV1 then you might get some results.

3. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

The TG15 is a Fairtex BGV1. It is an all-purpose training glove with triple layer padding that is suitable for bag, mitts, and sparring.

The TG16 is a Fairtex BGV5. It is essentially a sparring only glove.

Both are exceptionally nice gloves, just suited for different applications.

:icon_chee

4. SUBfighterIL

SUBfighterIL Blue Belt

Super sparring gloves has softer padding and much longer cuff and it is not recommended for pads and or heavy bag.
    The Thai Style gloves are indeed the BGV-1 and they are an all purpose glove, I own a pair and they are great for about anything.

5. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

How do the Fairtex BGV5 comapares to the Twins BGVL-3?

6. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

Both are nice gloves, but the Fairtex BGV5's are in a whole different class as far as quality.

7. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Really? Well, I have Fairtex BGV1's and just got some Twins BGVL-3's and as far as quality (at least in construction) I can't tell any differences. What exactly are you referring to? Or are the BGV5's made differently and better quality than the BGV1's?
    Also, how the BGV5's and the BGVL-3's compare in terms of softness? The BGV1 is much harder than the BGVL-3.

8. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

As far as a comparing softeness of padding, I can't comment on that, as I have never owned the BGV5's. I have had and do have the Fairtex BGV1's and BGV1N's, and the Twins BGVL-3's and two pairs of the FBGV-9's. I have had my eye on the Fairtex BGV5's for quite some time, however, I already have several gloves that fall into that category, so can't really justify the purchase.

You are right about the BGV1's being considerably firmer in padding density, when compared to the BGVL-3's. They are about on the opposite end of the realm concerning padding when it comes to a Thai all-purpose training glove. They are also polar opposites in exterior size in any given ounce weight.

I suppose quality is in the eyes of the beholder, however, IMHO the Fairtex gloves are at the top of the scale when it comes to leather quality and thickness, in conjunction with fit, feel, and finish details. That is not to say that I do not like the Twins, because they are one of my favorites, just different.

I think it is probably safe to say, that the quality of materials in the BGV1 and the BGV5 is going to be pretty close to the same. However, the design is going to be different. The BGV1 is an all-purpose, triple layer padded, shorter cuff, and with a some what more compact hand compartment (as it pertains to Fairtex), and does not have a grip hose. The BGV5's to my knowledge are padded suitable for a pro style sparring glove, with a longer cuff, and a slightly larger internal hand compartment.

"Gonzaginator" recently purchased the BGV5's, and also did a review. I am sure he could tell you anything about them. I think he really like his.

9. Gonzaginator

Gonzaginator Brown Belt

True. :icon_chee

I did a review on the BGV-5 but ECS pretty much summed it up. If you need any infos or pictures on the Fairtex BGV-5 let me know and i will hook you up. I really like them a lot. The quality is excellent. Wrist support is awesome. I got around 20 pairs of gloves and the padding is the softest of all my gloves. The first inch is pillow like, after that the padding gets denser to protect your knuckles. The leather is very soft, beautiful gloves. The white leather (palm) is also beatiful.

Here's the link btw:
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/fairtex-super-sparring-gloves-bgv-5-a-1167271/

10. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

I read part of the book of the Song of Songs yesteday, and your description reminded me of it. Very passionate. ...strangely passionate, for gloves...

Like doves on the hill, those gloves. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
  11. jbob8314

jbob8314 White Belt

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010