Fairtex Headgear: Sparring v Super Sparring

GoatyP

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So, this will be a pretty short breakdown between the Fairtex Sparring (HG3) and Super Sparring (HG10).

Similarities
  • Lightweight
  • All leather construction (including interior)
  • Runs Small (order size up)
  • Decent fit (I have an average size face)
  • Average range of vision (Can see kicks)
  • Stiff (break in time may be long)

Fairtex Sparring (HG3)
Pros:
  • Lightweight

Cons:
  • Near non-existent padding. ONLY suitable for light sparring.
  • Stiff

Fairtex Super Sparring (HG10)
Pros:
  • Bit more padding in cheeks and forehead (suitable ONLY for light to medium sparring)
  • Lightweight

Cons:
  • Stiff

Conclusion
The HG-3 is light with barely any padding. I really can't recommend this for anything other than light sparring. The Fairtex Super Sparring is nothing to write home about either. It has improved padding in the forehead and cheeks but isn't suitable for any sparring above medium intensity. However, I'm used to getting hit so the HG-10 may not even be good for most people either.

Overall, I'm happy with the Super Sparring because I wanted something lightweight, all leather, with minimal padding, and decent range of vision. It is similar to the Twins (which is better padded and therefore a bit heavier). The HG-3 on the other hand is being returned.

I got both headgear for sub-$60, each. Any more than that and you are getting robbed. There are tons of better headgear out there.

TL; DR
HG-3 is good only for light sparring
HG-10 is good up to medium sparring

Hi,

Do you have a recommendation of a Thai brand sparring head gear that is suitable for some heavier sparring, I am currently on the look out

Hi,

Do you have a recommendation of a Thai brand sparring head gear that is suitable for some heavier sparring, I am currently on the look out

I use the fairtex extra vision headgear pretty heavily.

Thanks for the review, I liked the comparison to the Twins which I have never tried, but the Twins felt like it had more padding when I saw it in the store.

I recommend Twins as an all purpose headgear. It is all leather, average weight, well padded, decent visibility but slightly bulky. The only downside is that it is very stiff at the beginning requires about 2 months to break in (e.g., stepping on it, massaging it, etc.), otherwise your head will be ringing all night.

While I have not used Top King before, I see people at the gym with it. It looks very well padded but bigger than Twins.

Thanks for the review, I liked the comparison to the Twins which I have never tried, but the Twins felt like it had more padding when I saw it in the store.

Yeah, Twins definitely has lot more padding than the Fairtex.

I use the fairtex extra vision headgear pretty heavily.

I do love me some Fairtex but might give the top king a try, everything I own that is Fairtex glove wise has nothing soft about them - even the sparring gloves!!

I use my top king gloves for sparring at the mo so might take a chance with they're head gear,

I do love me some Fairtex but might give the top king a try, everything I own that is Fairtex glove wise has nothing soft about them - even the sparring gloves!!

I use my top king gloves for sparring at the mo so might take a chance with they're head gear,

I would say the Fairtex Diagonal vision is only good for light sparring.

Back