Fairtex for sparring

Snake_p20

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have decided to dedicate a good deal of my immediate training to developing my standup game for mma. I want to buy a good pair of 16 oz gloves for sparring and have decided I want to buy a fairtex pair but my question is what is considered to be the best model for sparring only. I want a hook and loop pair but otherwise just want the best pair they have for sparring, suggestions?

BGV1 if you prefer shorter cuff, and BGV5 for longer cuff. From all I've heard, they're both great for sparring and it comes down to personal preference.

Ok, the BGV5's sound like what I want, now hopefully someone can help me find them for sale somewhere. I searched and it seems everyone is selling the tg16's which look the same (are they are lot different?) but I can't find the BGV5's.

Ok, the BGV5's sound like what I want, now hopefully someone can help me find them for sale somewhere. I searched and it seems everyone is selling the tg16's which look the same (are they are lot different?) but I can't find the BGV5's.

Fairtex Super Sparring Gloves from Combatsports.com

Fairtex Super Sparring Gloves

I just picked up a pair of these myself from Cageside. Use the May discount code and it amounts to the same, with free shipping over $99 if you're picking up other stuff and are in the U.S.

Btw, TG16 seems to be what CSI calls them, but those are definitely the BGV5 models.

Your only 2 choices for sparring seem to be Fairtex's Safety Training Gloves or their Super Sparring Gloves. The only big difference I see is that they have different hook & loop closures. There's no way of telling without seeing them right next to each other but the foam over the knuckle seems to be slightly larger on the Safety Training Gloves which would be better for your sparring partner's face.

Basically it really just comes down to whether you want red or black.

I went with the BGV5 Sparring Gloves because I prefer a leather hook-n-loop closure over elastic ones. That, and I'd read some good reviews on them and hadn't really heard much about the Safety training gloves at all.

Btw, mvisit1, the BGV1 training gloves are great for sparring too, from all I've read and heard about them.

I went with the BGV5 Sparring Gloves because I prefer a leather hook-n-loop closure over elastic ones. That, and I'd read some good reviews on them and hadn't really heard much about the Safety training gloves at all.

Btw, mvisit1, the BGV1 training gloves are great for sparring too, from all I've read and heard about them.

I go by what I read...

Fairtex Safety Training Gloves from Combatsports.com

"Oversized head provides maximum protection during sparring"

On the Fairtex website it says the BGV1's:

"Designed for the extreme versatility - use on heavybags, light bags, focus mitts, Thai pads and general pads."

If I care about my sparring partner, I'm not going to use gloves on his face that I just got done hitting all of those other things with.

Of course, if you're gonna buy the training gloves for bag and padwork, you won't be using them for sparring if you want your sparring partners to like you.

But I've seen them, read a lot of old threads on 'em, and even talked to some guys who use them, and they all say they're great for sparring. Guys who prefer shorter cuff, tight-fit gloves prefer them over the other models.

If you're gonna be using them only for sparring, then they're fine.

So if they're great for sparring than they're easy on your partners face, right? Because hand protection shouldn't be as important with your sparring gloves as your partner's face protection since you shouldn't be sparring at 100% anyway, right?

So if they're great for sparring than they're easy on your partners face, right? Because hand protection shouldn't be as important with your sparring gloves as your partner's face protection since you shouldn't be sparring at 100% anyway, right?

For sparring, both are important in equal terms, imo. You don't want to injure your partner, but at the same time it's important to protect your hands as well. And yes, in sparring you're not trying to KO each other, but develop your combinations, defense, strategy and technique, so going 100% isn't recommended unless you're trying to simulate a real match.

The BGV1's have great padding that's soft and won't be hard on your sparring mate's face. They are not hard like bag gloves by any means. 16-18oz should be used of course, depending on body weight.

and yes snake... the BGV5 are the same as the TG16. Now good luck finding them in 16oz...

The ONLY thing that I don't like about the TG16s is that it feels like there's a little extra room in the glove. I dunno maybe that's just me. The safety training gloves seem to have a little bit of a tighter feel, which I personally like.

Full Contact Outlet

BGV1s mate, everyone at my club spars with them and we can hit hard because were using quality gloves.

For sparring, both are important in equal terms, imo. You don't want to injure your partner, but at the same time it's important to protect your hands as well. And yes, in sparring you're not trying to KO each other, but develop your combinations, defense, strategy and technique, so going 100% isn't recommended unless you're trying to simulate a real match.

The BGV1's have great padding that's soft and won't be hard on your sparring mate's face. They are not hard like bag gloves by any means. 16-18oz should be used of course, depending on body weight.

What I was getting at is that if unless you have horrible form, you shouldn't be hitting your partner hard enough to injure you hand and that's why I think the padding for your partner's face is more important than protecting your hand while sparring.

I go by what I read...

Fairtex Safety Training Gloves from Combatsports.com

"Oversized head provides maximum protection during sparring"

On the Fairtex website it says the BGV1's:

"Designed for the extreme versatility - use on heavybags, light bags, focus mitts, Thai pads and general pads."

If I care about my sparring partner, I'm not going to use gloves on his face that I just got done hitting all of those other things with.

some guys will only spar with super sparring gloves, with extra padding (usually either one guy is heavy handed, or the other guy doesnt like getting hit, otherwise they are not a neccesity), most people are fine with twins gloves, fairtex BGV1's, windy, standard thai training gloves and standard boxing gloves grant, ultimate classic, etc., the kind of gloves your going to get complaints about are high density gloves like reyes, thats why fairtex's mexican style gloves always have not reccomended for sparring in the description.

What I was getting at is that if unless you have horrible form, you shouldn't be hitting your partner hard enough to injure you hand and that's why I think the padding for your partner's face is more important than protecting your hand while sparring.

Things can go wrong, even in careful sparring. Unless you're an absolute technician with machinelike efficiency, there are bound to be some tough/odd angles you land every now and then that might hurt your hands, and if you're training for an upcoming fight, the last thing you want to do is injure yourself or your sparring partner. So, as I stated my humble opinion, I believe both are equally important.

I understand what you're getting at, and you if you want to use the Safety training gloves because you think they're easier on your partner's face, then I think that's a good choice. Just saying that a lot of people here have no problems sparring with the other models mentioned (BGV1, BGV5).

Things can go wrong, even in careful sparring. Unless you're an absolute technician with machinelike efficiency, there are bound to be some tough/odd angles you land every now and then that might hurt your hands, and if you're training for an upcoming fight, the last thing you want to do is injure yourself or your sparring partner. So, as I stated my humble opinion, I believe both are equally important.

I understand what you're getting at, and you if you want to use the Safety training gloves because you think they're easier on your partner's face, then I think that's a good choice. Just saying that a lot of people here have no problems sparring with the other models mentioned (BGV1, BGV5).

I hear ya...your point is also dually noted...I will keep this in mind as I have yet to be invited to the intermediate/sparring classes at my MT & MMA schools...I plan on getting the Grant Pro Training Gloves (in all white...f***in sweet) for sparring...These are my bag gloves...

TITLE Platinum Bag Gloves from Title Boxing

I thought they looked really cool online and when they arrived at my home but everyone looks at me funny in class because they're a little gaudy...But I still love 'em

Back