fairtex bgv5 versus bgv9

JoelTGM

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I currently use bgv1s and am very happy with the fit and the foam padding for all my boxing needs, but would like a longer wrist cuff. I heard bgv9 is longer obviously, but too hard for sparring. So is the bgv5 basically the same as the bgv9 but with softer padding? Do you think the bgv5 could be used as an all around training glove or is it too soft for bagwork? Thanks for reading.

A friend of mine uses bgv5 as all round glove but he doesn’t train and spar everyday so depends how much training you do

inconsistent training lol. That's good to hear he uses it for more than just sparring.

inconsistent training lol. That's good to hear he uses it for more than just sparring.
He uses them for everything it’s his only pair and he has had them for a number of years now

He uses them for everything it’s his only pair and he has had them for a number of years now
that sounds really good then. I am not a heavy hitter so I don't think I even need to think about the bgv9. Thanks for your input here.

that sounds really good then. I am not a heavy hitter so I don't think I even need to think about the bgv9. Thanks for your input here.
I have had the bgv9 they are hard!

I happened upon a good deal for some new bgv9s. Edit: The bgv9s are ever slightly stiffer feeling in the padding. It's hard to tell the difference but I think it's there... The bgv5s don't really feel that soft for sparring anyway so it's really hard to tell but yeah I think I'll use bgv5 for sparring still and the bgv9 for bag. I've used bgv9 for sparring and noone said they were too stiff even when I asked and had them feel the glove. But the bgv5 has that extra cushion that I think bgv9 lacks. Bgv9 is a more consistent padding where as bgv5 has that initial softness.

To add to the comparison for anyone interested...

-the bgv9s have a slightly longer wrist cuff than the bgv5s, but the velcro strap is narrower on the bgv9s. I prefer the velcro on the 9 because it's just more flexible and easier to line up.

The bgv9s have more ventilation whereas the bgv5s have none.

The inside of the bgv5 is hard on the knuckles because they have some kind of plastic piece inside to keep sparring partners from feeling individual knuckles. The inside of the bgv9 feels really comfortable and I prefer it way more. I guess for hard sparring the bgv5s would technically be safer but with my big hands I do feel a pain on my knuckles when I clench my fist.

Last edited:
BGV9 is my favorite glove of all time.

Back