Fairtex BGL7 Professional Training Gloves (Updated)

BrokenNose

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First off, these are NOT recommended for sparring. Ringside and Fairtex blatantly state this off in their description; the padding is just too dense. Combatsports International does not do this, and they go as far as renaming them as SPARRING gloves. I went into a whole deal with them about it, because when I ordered the 18oz, I got over-sized training/bag gloves. I went and exchanged them for 12oz, which I intend to use as training/bag gloves exclusively. This review will tackle the gloves as 12oz training/bag gloves, not sparring gloves.

DESCRIPTION (ala. www.fairtex.com):

High density, compressed training gloves for heavy pounding on bags, pads, and focus mitts. Not recommended for sparring. Efficiently balanced for an extra-tight fit. Extended, triple-ribbed sleeve with laces provides maximum support without restriction of movement. Locked pre-curved thumb helps prevent eye and thumb injuries. Dual-layered latex foam core delivers protection with solid force-feedback.

Features:
-Available in 12oz, 14oz and 16oz.
-Handmade in Thailand.
-Top grain leather shell.
-Two-layer high-impact latex foam core.
-Contoured hand compartment and pre-curved thumb.

(Ringside and CSI sell these in 12oz, 14oz, and 18oz in red/black only. Fairtex sells them in 12oz, 14oz, 16oz, in both black/white AND red/black)

Here is a picture of the black/white version:

BGL7-2T.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSION: A+

Sexy red, semi-glossy, and just pure rape.

FIT: B

These gloves are tight. Here are some factors to consider:

-The padding inside the hand compartment is not perfectly curved, in fact, it's almost like it just folds in sharp angles, like so (from side view): >

-The seam for the thumb is very tight, and can even cramp the meaty part of the thumb at times.

-The grip bar is very stiff, partly because the stitching on both sides are also very stiff; it looks like so (also from side view): -o-

-The seam at the fingertips is also very distinguished ("thick"), so it feels like there's an additional fingertip bar along with the grip bar.​

The areas that are tight are the second row of the knuckles, the fingertips, and the meaty thumb area. The palm of the hand also cannot open up unless if you do it from outside of the glove. It can get pretty uncomfortable at times, almost claustrophobic.

However, these gloves do make a good fist, especially with the curved thumb. Since these are, as far as I can recall, hand sewn, there are generally stiff and tight off the bat. Fairtex is known for this, and also takes time to break in. I can imagine that the padding will eventually conform to my hands, and the thumb seam is already starting to stretch a bit.

They started out fairly uncomfortable and stiff, but they broke in within a few months, and are now wonderful.

CONSTRUCTION: A-

There are no palm vents. There are, however, five thumb vents. The opening hole is also quite large. Solid stitching on both gloves.

The seam at the fingertips is also very distinguished ("thick"), so it feels like there's an additional fingertip bar along with the grip bar. This can be a pro to some, con to others.

The fingertip seam is neutral, because of preference, but I rated construction A- because of the lack of palm vents. However, they do not feel hot in the gloves at all.

FUNCTION: A+

Padding is indeed very dense. These will take a beating and more. Aside from the super tight fit, it feels good to punch, and so far, I haven't found them very problematic at all. The curved thumb helps prevent jamming the dumb thing if I hit it stupidly, and wrist support is still good even with elastic lacing. I don't have to worry about hurting myself really because of the padding, thumb design, and wrist support. After a while, the padding has softened up a little bit, but still feels great to punch with, and absorbs shock very well. I can hit as hard as I want, so long as I'm not hitting a concrete wall, and feel good about it.

Sometimes I like to pull on my shirt or scratch my nose. The thumb attachment is at the very tip, so I can't grab anything with my thumb. I put on the velcro attachment, so I have to use my fingers and palm to put the velcro on.

OVERALL: A

The first impressions were great, and construction is essentially perfect. The fit is uncomfortable at first, but they have broken in very nicely.

SUMMARY:

-Great aesthetics
-Essentially perfect construction
-Claustrophobic fit at first
-Very good protection
-Solid pair of gloves once broken in​

Best part, these are being sold at $39.99. I threw in the coupon code and paid about $31 for them without shipping (shipping was like $10). List price is $109.99.

Onward, to pictures...

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

Last edited:
Comparison to my old bag gloves (no-brand)

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

Last edited:
I have some fairtex too, really nice leather even 5 years later

How big are your hands? I've been considering picking up a pair for bag work myself, but I'm trying to decide what size to go with. Ever used Fairtex mma gloves? I wear a large.

My hands aren't that big at all.

Just measured them. I don't know what to measure, so here goes:

8 inches from pinky to thumb, and 7 inches from wrist to middle finger (hand stretched out). I also weigh about 127 lbs if that means anything.

The 18oz ones are gigantic for me.

What coupon codes did you use bud? Awesome review btw. Those gloves are sweet! I might have to invest! LOL

The coupon for Combat Sports International is: mls1

Takes off 20%. Keep in mind shipping will still be around $10.

Also, after testing them out a little bit more, the fit is getting more and more comfortable. I just wasn't used to the little bar at the fingertips.

I just got the bgv9 bag glove, and it the best glove I have ever used. I know that is a very vague statement, but I cannot think of a way that a glove could fit or perform better. They are also very aesthetically pleasing.

Feel free to ask any questions :icon_chee

Ok, here goes, in order of importance:

1. Will your family adopt me? :icon_lol:

2. +3 to the nice house. Between the new gloves and furniture, it looks like there is more expensive high quality leather in your living room than a Fort Worth stock yard.

3. Excellent buy, Fairtex has those listed at $109.95, and if you got them for $31.00, that is an absolute steal. Nice gloves.

4. Ok, "Clamp", your not fooling me. You are looking to scoop up a nice pair of $110.00, 18oz., lace up "punchers" for $31.00. I would race you to them, but I just shelled out for some new Cleto Reyes Training Gloves. :icon_lol:

5. Nice photos and review.

And,

6. Did I already ask, if your family will adopt me? :icon_lol:

:icon_chee

Ok, here goes, in order of importance:

1. Will your family adopt me? :icon_lol:

2. +3 to the nice house. Between the new gloves and furniture, it looks like there is more expensive high quality leather in your living room than a Fort Worth stock yard.

3. Excellent buy, Fairtex has those listed at $109.95, and if you got them for $31.00, that is an absolute steal. Nice gloves.

4. Ok, "Clamp", your not fooling me. You are looking to scoop up a nice pair of $110.00, 18oz., lace up "punchers" for $31.00. I would race you to them, but I just shelled out for some new Cleto Reyes Training Gloves. :icon_lol:

5. Nice photos and review.

And,

6. Did I already ask, if your family will adopt me? :icon_lol:

ECS I found them at CSI's sister site Ringside.com for 40 bucks and spent 15 on a sweater :) I also got free shipping. Those freaking gloves look amazing! I wasn't going to buy another pair of gloves but darn it those are just great looking gloves!

Haha, thanks for the comments everyone.

This week I will truly be able to test them out for a good amount of time. I will update at the latest by the end of the week.

Also, my family is relatively cheapo too. We are bargain shoppers, and all the leather you see in the living room wasn't expensive at all :)

ECS123, if we do indeed adopt you, it would be your responsibility to maintain the house, clean out the garage, and finish the backyard modeling. Also, shoes off when entering the house, no peeing while standing, and basic respect and manners when in the premise :)

ECS I found them at CSI's sister site Ringside.com for 40 bucks and spent 15 on a sweater :) I also got free shipping. Those freaking gloves look amazing! I wasn't going to buy another pair of gloves but darn it those are just great looking gloves!

Yeah, they definitely look like very nice gloves!

Haha, thanks for the comments everyone.

This week I will truly be able to test them out for a good amount of time. I will update at the latest by the end of the week.

Also, my family is relatively cheapo too. We are bargain shoppers, and all the leather you see in the living room wasn't expensive at all :)

ECS123, if we do indeed adopt you, it would be your responsibility to maintain the house, clean out the garage, and finish the backyard modeling. Also, shoes off when entering the house, no peeing while standing, and basic respect and manners when in the premise :)

I guess I will have to pass. The restroom posture would be a deal breaker. :icon_lol:

The price is outstanding.

NSF1 for free shipping. Do you have the other coupon code?

NSF1 didn't work for me, so I used the 20% off one instead, which I THINK is mls1. I posted it at the bottom of page one, just to be correct.

I don't know if you can find a deal better than this one.

NOTE: The big Fairtex logo on the gloves are SLIGHTLY pink, similar to those Ringside IMF gloves I saw a while back. It just so happens that the red leather shows through the white logo a little. Not even a concern for me at all.

I guess I will have to pass. The restroom posture would be a deal breaker. :icon_lol:

You should reconsider. At 127 lbs, can he actually enforce that rule?

:wink:

Back