Fairtex BGL-7 and BGL-3 Review

gauzyhanz

White Belt
Reaction score
BGL-7 (14 oz)
bgl-7.jpg

These gloves have dense padding and are ment for heavy bag and pad work, not ment for sparring.

What I like about these gloves:
  • The protection and padding is my favorite thing about these gloves. Good protection, dense padding, yet b/c of the compact mexican style you can still feel where your punches land.
  • The glove starts off hard, but after a few sessions the padding softens to a consistency that provides a great combo of protection and comfort.
  • These gloves seem to be contructed for durability, this applies both to the padding and stitching.

Issues I have with the gloves:
  • As mentioned in other reviews there is a thick seam that runs across the finger tips on the inside. The first handful of times I used these this seam did indeed make my finger tips numb. But, after a brief break in period my fingers no longer get numb, the seam is simply annoying and uncomfortable at this point.
  • My finger tips poke out of the end of the gloves.
  • I don't make a great fist in these gloves, I'm not sure if it's b/c my fingers are too long or it's attibuted to other aspects of the cut of these gloves, but I pretty much make a lot of contact with my fingers. This in turn makes for some sore fingers after hard bag work.

THINGS TO NOTE:
  • These glove do need breaking in, infact I'm pretty sure I need to break mine in a little more.
  • The first few times you used these gloves your hands may get sore. This is only an issue for the first few usages, but after a brief break-in period this goes away and the glove and leather starts to soften.
  • People with long fingers should probably stay away from these gloves, despite the great protective properties of these glove, unless you want sore fingers after pad sessions.
  • I used winning knuckle gaurds with these gloves once, which made for QUITE a snug fit, and this did aleaviate a lot of finger soreness after pad session b/c it brought the point of contact for my knuckle forward, but for me I would like to have a glove that doesn't need this aid for good kuckle contact. (and even with the knuckle gaurds my knuckle contact wasn't extremely good)
  • If you have somewhat short fingers this may be a great bag glove for you, but the finger tip seam is probably going to annoy you still.
My Hand Measurements:
7.75 in - From end of palm to finger tips
4.5 in - From kuckles to finger tips​

BGL-3 (16 oz)
bgl3.jpg

These gloves are strictly ment for sparring.

What I like about these gloves:
  • These gloves don't need any breaking in and are comfortable from the start.
  • The glove accomidate my fingers well.
  • The padding is generous on in the knuckle area and all around for that matter which is good for sparring
  • The padding is soft so there won't be any complaints from your sparring partners. Some have said the padding is too soft for them even for sparring, but for me I like the solf padding. But, I definatly don't hit pads or the heavy bag with it.
  • There is a nice precurved thumb that sits close to the fist.

Issues I have with these gloves:
  • The padding on the thumb starts thick from the base but tapers with less padding at the tip. Although the thumb is precurved this design doesn't protect the thumb too well of you hit it square. I have hit my thumb a few times sparring and did notice the lack of padding.
  • Mainly I have one issue with these gloves. Around the finger tips there is an extra piece of foam, I drew a picture of it:
bgl3_issue.jpg
bgl3_issue_side-1.png

^​
This attribute simply doesn't allow me to make a great fist. Compared to the BGL-7 my knuckles make more contact but I can't clench down and curl my fingers in. So my fist ends up looking like this:​

closed_hand.jpg

This attribute isn't extremely hindering, but it definately isn't ideal. My fist simply doesn't feel as solid as it could be b/c of this. This part of the glove is dissapointing b/c absolutly every other aspect of the glove I like a lot.

Also, as you may know both of these gloves are lace-ups. And for me I like to use lace-up gloves more than hook-and-loop gloves b/c:
  • For one I simply don't like anything velco and how it sticks to everything.
  • Most of the time lace-up gloves seem to be constructed superior to their hook-and-loop counterparts.
  • After workouts I can loosen the laces or even unlace the gloves to allow them to air out better. (I do this in addition to putting a fan in front of them)
  • Velcro has a tendency to wear out, and sometimes before the actual glove needs replacing.
  • I use a hook and loop converter on my my BGL-7's.

What I discovered while using these gloves is the TWO most important things in a glove for me is the ability to make a good comfortable fist and good knuckle contact, every other apect comes way after that. For this reason I am in the market for some new training gloves. I actually have my eyes on Fairtex BGL-6 (14 oz) for bag/pads and Fairtex BGL-2 (16 oz) for sparring, but not totally settled yet.

Last edited:
Great review, I have both of these gloves and know exactly what you're talking about. It really doesn't bother me at all though.

Have you experienced any bubbling on your gloves? My gloves started to develop bubbles around 2 weeks of use, both on the left gloves, barely noticeable but it still bothers me. Don't know if this is an isolated incident or a fairtex thing. I've had other brands before for much longer (1+ years) and have never had any bubbles on them.

Have you experienced any bubbling on your gloves? My gloves started to develop bubbles around 2 weeks of use, both on the left gloves, barely noticeable but it still bothers me. Don't know if this is an isolated incident or a fairtex thing. I've had other brands before for much longer (1+ years) and have never had any bubbles on them.

So both gloves had this problem huh, that sucks. But, no I haven't had this problem.

Great comparison review! Thanks!

Elvisfan did a review on the BGL6. He seemed to like them a lot better than the BGL3.

will it accommodate big hands and wrists?

Personally, I think someone with large hands shouldn't use the BGL-7 simply b/c it seems to be made for ppl with shorter fingers. The BGL-3 would accomidate large hands though.

really good reviews, especially providing hand measurements. I had the BGL7s but found I landed on my fingers too much and kept getting blisters on my middle fingers. Also not a fan of v.dense padding so I was never going to like them too much anyway. From the sounds of things I don't think I'd like the BGL3 either

Back