Fainting during training

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by genesisdepaula, Jun 29, 2010.

1. genesisdepaula

genesisdepaula White Belt

I was at my muay thai class the other day and in the last 10 minutes of the class I started to black out like I was gonna faint. My vision got smaller and smaller. How could I prevent this, what should I eat? Would taking fighters food by nutrabolics before and after training help?

2. scottm

scottm Green Belt

Dehydration, malnutrition, low bp, over exertion, pre-existing medical condition? Pretty hard to answer with so few facts from you. If this has happened on multiple occasions you should see a doctor.

3. destrukt0

destrukt0 White Belt

I've never gotten that feeling from exercise but I have gotten that feeling sitting in my car in the heat, or just being out out in the heat in general.

My guess is you need a lot more water and proper nutrition. Try drinking nothing but water from here on out, not even juice. Lay off the fast food and greasy shit if you can help it.

One of the biggest thing that affects blood pressure is sodium. Try lowering your salt intake significantly. I don't remember if high sodium means high blood pressure or low blood pressure but it's one of the two. Either way you should be lowering your sodium intake anyways.

I'm not a doctor or anything so don't take anything I say to heart but I use to eat like a dumb ass.

I would be eating fast food every other day or pizza and playing World of Warcraft/Call of Duty all the time, never left the house. I didn't get fat but I quickly got out of shape. I use to drink a 12 pack of pepsi a day, no joke here. I use to drink pepsi like it was water.

When I started exercising I felt like I was going to die and yeah I did feel like fainting to an extent but nothing serious.

If this is tl;dr for you then to summarize:

1. Drink nothing but water from here on out
    2. Lower sodium intake significantly
    3. Eat healthier, avoid fast/processed foods
    4. BREATHE.

Also, I heard ginko biloba helps with memory and stuff but also helps with the circulation in your brain, try giving that a shot.

Cheers

4. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

Men black our or pass out. Women faint or swoon. Just sayin.

5. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

TS, please ignore this advice.

6. destrukt0

destrukt0 White Belt

To the above:

Reducing sodium (salt) in the diet: This step decreases blood pressure in about 33% of people (see above). (From wikipedia)

Drinking nothing but water has many benefits, but the main one here is improving blood flow in the body.

I said avoid fast food because:

A) It's unhealthy for many reasons and if he's serious about training it should be common sense unless a cheat day
    B) Fast food has HIGH sodium, which goes back to the first point.

Next point was 'BREATHE', breathing deeply and calmy lowers blood pressure.

So where exactly am I going wrong?

If the problem was low blood pressure then some of my tips could have been ignored but that's common sense. Eating healthy will help balance blood pressure, as I said. Malnutrition is the top cause for low blood pressure.

Fainting/Light-headedness is a symptom of low blood pressure or not enough oxygen going to the brain. Which again, brings back to breathing.

I'm not a doctor, I was just giving some tips that could potentially help. The best tip would be to go to a doctor and get it diagnosed. Aside from that I don't know exactly where I went wrong.

7. scottm

scottm Green Belt

Uh one way to increase blood pressure is salt intake. Salts are also necessary for proper hydration.
    You are correct, you are not a doctor and you should immediately cease in giving bad information out on the internet.

8. destrukt0

destrukt0 White Belt

So, what part of me saying reduce sodium to lower blood pressure does anyone here not understand...?

High blood pressure can also cause fainting...and coincidently, he's exercising! Which causes blood pressure to raise! Imagine that.

We don't know if blood pressure is even the cause here, none of us are doctors but we can always add some general knowledge. Instead of acting like children here, why not give some respectful disagreement instead of acting like you would when a salesmen knocks at your door.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  9. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

sodium intake is not likely to be the problem, at all.

more likely it was lack of hydration or not enough food.

10. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

Just do some research and try to understand the role of sodium in the body and especially during exercise. Google "sodium intake and training" or "sodium intake and marathon running" or something similar. You'll get your answer as to why your initial response was nonsense advice.

11. XMoker

XMoker Blue Belt

Just here to jump on the no salt, eat ginko biloba advice sucks.

12. rubberducky27

rubberducky27 Yellow Belt

I am offended on behalf of sales people, at least they may be offering something worthwhile. You however did not.

13. Dusk Alumni

Dusk Alumni Black Belt

gatorade.

14. markulous

markulous Black Belt

Especially based on the little information given, anything posted in this thread is going to be pure speculation. There are numerous reasons why a person would faint.

For all we know you could have a heart condition and it has nothing to do with hydration.

Your best bet is to educate yourself and go from there. Seeing a doctor wouldn't hurt but self-awareness is key.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  15. destrukt0

destrukt0 White Belt

I once had a salesman try to sell me refillable one-time use water bottles.

Tell me if that's worth while and I'll agree with your statement.

And the ginko biloba 'advice' I gave was just something that wouldn't hurt. Understand what causes fainting is lack of oxygen to the brain, so me saying taking ginkbo biloba which helps circulation in the brain, oxygen is in our blood.

There's no side effects to using it, it wouldn't hurt and COULD help but again, everyone in this thread is giving their two cents, I'm merely giving mine and I'm going to stand my ground and say nothing I've said is wrong, it may not be the most practical approach but it's not wrong.

Either case, he should be going to a doctor not asking the internet.

16. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Yeah, lowering sodium seems like the wrong advice as said above.

17. scottm

scottm Green Belt

You pretty much blew your credibility here with saying to lower your sodium intake. Just saying.

18. destrukt0

destrukt0 White Belt

Again, how?

19. shera

shera Brown Belt

Eat 2 to 3 hours before practice and you'll be fine.

20. ApricotEars

ApricotEars White Belt

I would not take the advice of anyone on these forums. After all they think they are ninjas etc and want to be kewl mma dudes.

If you have health insurance I would consult a doctor and get an appointment perhaps for a stress test and then get a heart monitor for a week or 2 and just clip the pack to your back waist band so it does not get damaged. If you feel that way again you log the time and they will look into it. Main causes tend to be something common like MPV or bad diet... or just going beyond a point your body can handle at the moment.

OP, Know your limits and do not let anyone push you beyond them. You can only push your body once it is in top health not before obviously