Failure to make weight & PED fines?

MMA made EASY

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Currently, if a fighter fails to make weight, the other fighter can opt to still fight them at a size disadvantage for a percentage of their purse.

What are your thoughts on a similar stance for PED detection? (pre & post detection)

In this situation, Hunt would be given a large portion of Brock's purse, and DC would have been given the option to fight Jones for a large portion of his purse.

Agreed, that's much more reasonable.

Someone listened to firas on the you tubes?

I agree though. If you get caught but the fight is already scheduled, you get to fight and the opponent gets 50% of your money and it's called a no contest. The opponent also gets the win bonus regardless. And you get banned for 2-3 years. It's basically your last chance to make a little money and the opponent doesn't lose the pay. This is perfect for guys getting caught post fight.

If the guy was caugh pre-fight, I would rather the fight was cancelled and the guy not caught gets his full pay including win bonus and doesn't have to risk the injuries from a fight with a cheater.

<mma4>

It wouldnt be much of an option though... i mean, who wouldnt? Only someone who "sympathizes" with it. not a good look.

Do they still get suspended? Some would give up 50% of winnings to fight on the sauce if they kept their job.

Do they still get suspended? Some would give up 50% of winnings to fight on the sauce if they kept their job.
If not motherfuckers would be fighting for free until they reached a title shot. :)

I guess they would still get the suspension, but the idea wouldn't really curb ped use.

Don't think it would happen just cause if Jones would have won had Cormier agreed to fight him, the fight would still be a No Contest.

Someone listened to firas on the you tubes?
Now I have. I like his point about criminal assault charges as well.

Great question - I think if this rule was put in place there wouldn't be suspensions... it'd basically be a way of creating the "steroid league"... hell, they might even add it to the "advantages/disadvantages" breakdowns.

"I hear he's been juicing like crazy bob, to get the edge in stamina - he's hoping that it'll be an investment for a title shot where the big bucks are made..."

Don't think it would happen just cause if Jones would have won had Cormier agreed to fight him, the fight would still be a No Contest.
Well, not with this rule - with this rule, he'd be accepting the risk (just like the overweight opponent)

It wouldnt be much of an option though... i mean, who wouldnt? Only someone who "sympathizes" with it. not a good look.
Hm... I don't know - fighting Jon Jones would be scary enough - fighting a juiced one... DC would get a huge "up" in his popularity for choosing to challenge that particular bull.

Well, not with this rule - with this rule, he'd be accepting the risk (just like the overweight opponent)
Just don't think that's a good look for the UFC to knowingly allow fighters that are cheating to compete in the cage.

Can't see it happening.

Just don't think that's a good look for the UFC to knowingly allow fighters that are cheating to compete in the cage.

Can't see it happening.
Maybe with the new owners - they might figure "meh, all our star attractions were juicing... we want star attractions, and we don't want events cancelled at the last minute, so...

If caught before it would be likely the commission wouldn't allow the fight even if the fighter wanted it.

You test positive you get suspended.

You test positive you don't fight.

People that test positive won't be allowed to fight, period.

It's a saftey issue far as their concerned.
The sport will survive, people will be caught.
People will continue to cheat.

It might get to the point though that "testing positive" could be career ending in a way.

Sponsors, UFC not going to invest in you.

This possible 2 year suspension for Jones is almost career ending, getting suspended 2 years in your prime with no pay is time that you can't get back.

Meanwhile life goes on.

If results only come after then it still needs to be overturned. If it comes pre and opponent opts to fight then the result stands, I guess.

But that will never happen, it would be basically like legalizing peds. Everybody will do it just like everybody cuts weight, because if you don't your opponent certainly will.

Back