Failing Driver

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Doughbelly, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Doughbelly

Doughbelly αlpha-nerdette, action scientist

2nd Star to the Right & straight on til morning.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. Doughbelly

I took driver

3. Madmick

Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

That chick looks like Sharon Stone's more wholesome mom. Would smash.

4. Iroh

Iroh The Dragon of the West Platinum Member

Holland, 10 years ago when I was 18 which is the driving age here. It's significantly harder to get your driver's license here than it is in the states, from all that I've seen on TV. It's also much more expensive. Lastly, would hit.

You also had to take a theoretic test with 60 oddly formulated questions, so it would be easy for people to misinterpret them, with a max of 6 wrong questions allowed. Questions varied from calculating braking time/distance, right of way, tire pressure, emergency situations, road signs (some of which you'll never encounter) and more. I think that theoretic test alone was 80 euros, you could get lessons too and of course a text book, all ridiculously priced.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  5. Heisenberg

Heisenberg tread lightly

I went to drivers ed in 1994. The guy who accompanied me was older than dirt and had a tom landry hat. He used to slam on the brakes from his side even I was going super slow. Years later I would see him cruising around town with students, teaching them to drive.

I had my license the day I turned 15. Now my daughter is 15 and taking driver's ed. :icon_chee. No tom landry though. He's probably dead by now.

6. adam199

adam199 Purple Belt Platinum Member

I actually went through the 2nd pic lol. It's not really a simulation you control, the screen is a movie. You just press the pedals and shift when it instructs you to.

Edit: Took the tests in 2006.

7. white-pony

white-pony Black Belt

I had the easiest driving instructor of all time. I just drove him around town so he could do errands. I remember one time he had to pick something up from the dry cleaners for his wife. Another time he had me drive to another town, when there was no traffic, to get some cheeseburgers he was craving.

8. Insmoke

Insmoke Brown Belt

Not to mention a minimum of around 40 lessons for about 50 Euro's each. Requesting a exam will set you back about 250 Euro's as well IIRC. Than you have to hope you don't get a Gestapo driving exterminator who fails you for don't checking your mirrors correctly with every damn action. And if you do fail, prepare for a few more lessons and another 250 Euro's to request another exam. Shit is ridiculous.

Getting your motorcycle licence is even more insane.

9. Iroh

Iroh The Dragon of the West Platinum Member

Exactly. I did fail my first exam because I didn't check my mirror when overtaking a cyclist while driving 50 km/h and turning a right 50 m later. I'm sorry I automatically used common sense and knew the cyclist could not have been anywhere near. I was sooooo rustled back then.

10. Insmoke

Insmoke Brown Belt

I failed 2 times. First was because of mirror checking shenanigans, a bit the same as you. The second one was because I had to slam the breaks because some dumbass let his dog loose and he ran across the road just few meters in front of the car. I failed because of unsafe handling of the car or some shit, I can't really recall specifically what reason that NSB exterminator gave me. Majorly rustled.

11. Doughbelly

As for coach/PE stories, I’ll start with one.

As far as I can figure, regular American PE is for freaks, geeks and losers. At least it was in Texas when I got there around 1990. Even the least bit athletically inclined were doing some varsity sport and the kids who didn’t want to do that did marching band. The kids who did farm coop (it’s the burbs, but this is still Texas, remember) were exempted as well. Pretty much anyone who wasn't a social outcast found an activity to join to get out of PE. I had no idea that's how it worked.

Personally, having zero interest in varsity sports and even less interest in marching band, I just did the one semester PE along with all the assorted oddballs. I had been doing fight sports and martial arts since I was about five and was a highly competitive junior in both judo and taekwondo at the time so I was athletic enough, but the biggest difference between me and most of those kids was that even the losers had at least known each other for long enough to form cliques and groups from Jr. High.

Me, I’d just transferred in from DoDDS (Department of Defense Dependent Schools) so I knew no one. And I was an Asian kid in Texas. (“You speak English real good.” “Of course I speak English "real good," asshole. I was born on a fucking US Army base! In America.”) Now, the thing is that kids who grow up in the DoDDS system learn to make friends real fast because your classmates are constantly rotating in and out with their parent's duty station. Second, you know not to make trouble because when you're a repeat troublemaker, it’s not just your parents who get called in but your dad’s chain of command that might be informed as well. Racism doesn’t go over real well in that kind of environment. While the US military will divide housing by class, they don’t by race, so you learn to get along with your black, Hispanic, Filipino, Asian, whatever classmates from a young age. Seriously, I had no idea that Mexicans and black kids were supposed to eat at their own (self segregated) cafeteria table until American high school. I think I sat at the wrong table my first day of school. So in a certain sense, I was a FOB with no clue.

For days and weeks, I’m eating this shit during PE because the losers now have someone lower than them on the totem pole to pick on. None of my newfound friends in academic classes were in PE because they were all smart enough to join a sport or activity to get themselves out of this retard fest. The two coaches obviously don’t give two shits about what the PE class is doing. They weren’t bad guys but clearly, regular PE class was not high on their list of priorities. Very low level of supervision, so I was constantly getting my ears flicked or balls bounced off the back of my head and stupid shit all fucking period.

One day, I finally fucking lose my shit when some kid shoves me while we’re going back from the field. Coach was pretty quick to get inbetween us in the shoving match, but obviously, we still wanted to fight.

Now, I understand that he meant well and that this was usually a pretty good, old-school way to resolve things, but things didn’t turn out so well from here. Coach drags us into the wrestling room and then tells us that if we want to fight, fight "like men." I get that most kids when placed in this position back down or hesitate to throw the first strike, following which coach has proved his point and he sends both kids to the locker room. Well, while I wasn’t okay with real fighting, I was totally okay with fighting people on a mat or in a ring. So I roundhoused this poor kid right in the stomach. I'm getting ready to kick him again when coach grabs me by the back of my neck, screaming at me, “What are you DOING?!?” “You told to us to fight!” “I didn't tell you you could kick! You can wrestle."

Now, he should have realized that he'd already lost control of the situation, because I was okay with this, too. So this poor kid is standing there huffing when I osoto-gari the fuck out of him and climb on top to pin him. I suppose if it ended there, it would have been okay but then I decided to cross collar choke him with his PE t-shirt. Which is the third time in the course of a few minutes that coach is peeling me off of him.

I ended up sitting in his office for a while, then sitting in the counselor's office, repeating the same story. "Coach McGuire told us to fight." And that was the beginning of a long and frequent relationship with my high school counselor until I decided to get the fuck out of high school.

To this day, I wonder why the fuck they had a wrestling room when they had no wrestling team.

12. Doughbelly

Anybody ever take driving lessons in one of these?

[​IMG]

I remember the cars at the driving schools having brakes on the passenger's side but the driving instructor just used his or her left had on the driver's steering wheel for course corrections.

13. thebluerider

thebluerider caelgender ftw

i took driver's ed in the 90s during the summer at a place that specialized in it. i trained in on of those double steering wheel cars. our class teacher was cool. he told us a story about him being the passenger in a car his friend was driving when they were both on lsd. i barely knew how to drive when i got the license. past on the first try.

14. Doughbelly

That's actress/model Shirley Buchanan from the 1950s. Here, have another one.

[​IMG]

15. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Haha. Awesome. Sounds like the guy I had. There were two guys that you would go with and I always wanted that guy. I grew up in south texas and took my class in summer. I remember we went to eat lunch at this little taco stand in the middle of nowhere. It was pretty good. Another time he made me drive to south padre island which was about a 30 minute drive. We cruised the island looking at chicks, we were in that stupid car with all the labels and shit! Lol. Another time he wanted to look at some cars so went drove around town with a newspaper in his hand looking for the places that had the listing. This was before cellphones were popular. Around 1989. We would drive to a pay phone and he would call a place and then we would drive to it. The guy didn't give many fucks.

16. Kühle Hand Luke

Kühle Hand Luke Mr. Cool Hand Luke Ice

same, got mine in 95, a year later than most. I lived in atascocita and went to humble, the same time the infamous Dakota fanning lover, Ender, went to school. I believe he was 2 grades ahead of me.

17. lakersfan45

lakersfan45 That's sardo! No mr, accent on the do!

Yeah I learned in one of those.

The class portion of drivers ed was a joke but driving in one od those was really helpful.

18. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

19. greygoose

greygoose Brown Belt

Man, i remember the first time I ever drove a car was in driver's ed, and it was the semester right before my 16th birthday (is it still 16 to get a license, or older)? Anyways, the only positive out of all of this was by passing driver's ed, you didn't have to take a driver's test.

20. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

When I was a kid, everyone wanted to get their license as quickly as possible. I got my license when I was 16 and so did all of my friends. It doesn't seem to be like that anymore. I see a shitload of 18, 19 and 20 year olds who don't have their driver's license.

I have a buddy who's 40 who never got his license. It was funny when he told me the story about how his wife suddenly went into labour and she had to drive to the hospital. LOL