Failed challengers should NOT be given instant rematches

GriffinLHWChamp

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
(In my opinion) A lot of this Jones/Gustafsson stuff has been overhyped. I personally, don't believe a challenger baring an aweful controversial decision deserves an immediate rematch if he came up short on his first opportunity.

If the champion loses? Im ok with it. You got a legend... he loses the match (Anderson Silva) instant rematch. If you got a robbery decision? Fine.

I don't see the logic behind giving a guy a rematch who was given an opportunity and clearly came short. Reguardless to how close he came he still fell short.

I think Jones fighting Glover is the right decision. What say you?

bth_gif3.gif

So did you think Shogun didn't deserve another shot at Machida?

Controversial decision (as stated in original post) Majority of people had shogun winning their first fight (I had Machida but I was in the minority). The point being it was highly controversial.

That was a true robbery. Majority of experts had Shogun winning that fight. And most importantly, Dana White had Shogun winning that fight.

only like 1/15 expert mma panels had Gustafsson winning the fight.

I agree, and that's generally the way it is.

Gray Maynard did deserve his instant rematch with Edgar though since he didn't actually lose (even though he failed in a sense).

A draw, a highly controversial decision (not a manufactured controversy like Gustaffson/Jones), or in certain cases a no contest should grant an instant rematch to a challenger but that's it.

That was a true robbery. Majority of experts had Shogun winning that fight. And most importantly, Dana White had Shogun winning that fight.

No way did Shogun win that fight.

Dana White also scored for Gus originally, then changed his stance to have Jones' back (you know, his champion) shortly thereafter.

The fans and fighters feel Gus won by a pretty large majority. And most MMA media outlets were picking Jones to kill Gus beforehand; you really think they'd make themselves look dumb by about-facing and admitting they were wrong by scoring a Gus victory, after months of riding on the Jones hype-train?

Gus plainly deserves a rematch.

Like this one wasn't a controversial decision. Most MMA fans and fighters thought Jones lost.

Even if I had thought Jones lost, it was close enough to the point that it could easily have gone either way. There were multiple extremely close rounds in the fight. That doesn't really make it controversial. It just means that it was a coin flip that landed on tails while Gustaffson needed it to land on heads.

scared

but nah I don't like immediate rematches either but you said it yourself, if it's a controversial decision then ya

Like this one wasn't a controversial decision. Most MMA fans and fighters thought Jones lost.

I think your a bit confused. The vast majority in the sport support the decision and the hardcore fans do too. We got some people on forums complaining who are more than likely casual fans but so what?

Even if I had thought Jones lost, it was close enough to the point that it could easily have gone either way. There were multiple extremely close rounds in the fight. That doesn't really make it controversial. It just means that it was a coin flip that landed on tails while Gustaffson needed it to land on heads.

I mean.. it was a close fight but personally I didn't have any trouble reaching a 48-47 score card. I don't think simply a coin flip should describe the decision I mean come on.. I scored the fight while rooting HARD for Gustafsson and came out knowing he didn't get it done. He lost the last two rounds and the fight.

If we had a deciding round come out TIGHT, then ok. I didn't see any of those rounds as hard to score so I don't see the coin flip situation.

Last edited:
With a very close decision or a controversial decision or a great fight I think a immediate rematch should be done.

Shogun vs Machida though i thought machida won deserved a immediate rematch.

Silva vs weidman I could have waited for but it does make sense for anderson to get one more fight right away. It is for the money. Even if you betted on weidman you cant deny you thought silva wouldnt lose that way.

I dont see a problem with immediate rematches.

With a very close decision or a controversial decision or a great fight I think a immediate rematch should be done.

Shogun vs Machida though i thought machida won deserved a immediate rematch.

Silva vs weidman I could have waited for but it does make sense for anderson to get one more fight right away. It is for the money. Even if you betted on weidman you cant deny you thought silva wouldnt lose that way.

I dont see a problem with immediate rematches.

the thing is nobody actually thought machida won, they just say they did because they can't admit defeat

Even if Weidman dominated Silva for 5 rounds straight, Silva would still get an instant rematch. You have to beat a champion like that twice before the UFC will be ready to move on and embrace someone new. I don't mean any champion, but someone who has been champion for a long time and is a proven draw.

Hendricks will face the same problem if he beats GSP.

the thing is nobody actually thought machida won, they just say they did because they can't admit defeat

Why should they admit defeat if he got his hand raised? That makes no sense to me.

I agree entirely that it was a bad decision, but it's still a win for Machida. You can't change it.

Gus came up short. The majority of MMA experts gave the win to JBJ. It was just a challenger who lost vs the champ. Good fight or not, no inmediate rematch is required!

The criteria you're laying down is very subjective. One could easily argue that Gus deserves a rematch more than Anderson based on performance, others would argue that accomplishments need to be accounted for. The idea that a rematch should depend on how controversial a decision is is also debatable, ultimately it depends on WHO found it to be a questionable decision, not HOW questionable the decision was. Dana and co have decided they agree with the decision therefore the immediate rematch isn't happening, irrespective of how many others felt Gus won or at least deserved a rematch.

Few could argue that the fight couldn't have been scored either way, you can say I though Jones won rounds X,Y,Z or I felt Gus won rounds A,B,C but if you cant concede the fight was about as close as they come then you aren't being very objective. Circumstances such as these certainly seem to suggest a rematch is in order doesn't it?

The decision not to make the immediate rematch is a business one pure and simple. Controversy, the closeness of the first fight or the interest of fairness are not being considered, only dollars and cents are.

Last edited:
Back