Fact : You won't be the same after Facing GSP

Sonny Qc

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Lots of sherdogger hate on Georges for lack of finish during his title run,
GSP might not finish Fights,
He instead finishes careers #FACT

I took a closer look at how fighters did after facing him for the title.
Answer, pretty badly for All of them.

Serra #2
Before 10-4
After 1-2

Hughes #2
Before 41-5 (run of 19/20 wins)
After 4-4

BJ Penn #2
Before 13-4-1
After 3-8-1

Alves
Before 18-5
After 5-7

Hardy
Before 23-6 (7 fights win streak)
After 2-3

Kos #2
Before 15-4
After 2-6

Shields
Before 26-4 (15 fights win streak)
After 7-6-1

Condit
Before 28-5
After 2-7

Nick Diaz
Before 26-8
After 0-1

Hendricks
Before 16-1
After 2-6

Bisping
Before 30-7
After 0-1

No doubt that the damage Georges inflict during a 5 rd mauling change guys forever.

surprisingly, Fitch is the only one who still had a good run after facing GSP
18-2-0-1 before, 13-4-1 after (still active)

Last edited:
Boring post (same as GSP)

Your post proves he would strategically fight only people who suck or were starting to suck.

mrw-my-girlfriend-tells-me-an-awfully-boring-story-10182.gif

I know I will rustle some jimmies with this one.

It’s not physical damage. For a lot of those guys it was the mental disappointment and ego check that caused the downslide. They worked all the way to the top to face him, only To be badly humbled. It’s hard to come back from and convince yourself you are the best, when a guy dominates you everywhere.

I wonder how of much of this is GSP creating the blueprint of how to beat these guys?

It’s not physical damage. For a lot of those guys it was the mental disappointment and ego check that caused the downslide. They worked all the way to the top to face him, only To be badly humbled. It’s hard to come back from and convince yourself you are the best, when a guy dominates you everywhere.
received_10155180259239503.gif

Lots of sherdogger hate on Georges for lack of finish during his title run,
GSP might not finish Fights,
He instead finishes careers #FACT

I took a closer look at how fighters did after facing him for the title.
Answer, pretty badly for All of them.

Serra #2
Before 10-4
After 1-2

Hughes #2
Before 41-5 (run of 19/20 wins)
After 4-4

Alves
Before 18-5
After 5-7

Hardy
Before 23-6 (7 fights win streak)
After 2-3

Kos
Before 15-4
After 2-6

Shields
Before 26-4 (15 fights win streak)
After 7-6-1

Condit
Before 28-5
After 2-7

Nick Diaz
Before 26-8
After 0-1

Hendricks
Before 16-1
After 2-6

Bisping
Before 30-7
After 0-1

No doubt that the damage Georges inflict during a 5 rd mauling change guys forever.

surprisingly, Fitch is the only one who still had a good run after facing GSP
18-2-0-1 before, 13-4-1 after (still active)

He's the Floyd Mayweather of MMA

Boxers never the same after facing him either.

GSP and Floyd are both supreme athletes and technicians.

Johny copped it the worst because he probably won that fight. Went from almost being to champ to being Ko'd years later in a bareknuckle fight. Geezus.

I think that if you looked at fighters who got a title shot in any division, you would see a similar trend. All it really shows is that fighting lower ranked fighters on your way up the ladder is easier than fighting the top 5 of the division after getting a title shot. Seems like common sense to me.

That being said, it had to be heart breaking as a fighter to hone your craft over so many years, be extremely dominant in your profession, and then face GSP and be completely neutralized. After that fight, I doubt any of them had a clear plan going forward on how they could improve in order to change that outcome in a rematch. All they were really left with is waiting for GSP to retire, being a gatekeeper, or changing weight classes.

He physically finished Kos' career with that damage done to his eye.

Kos was rubbing his eye in every fight after that, constantly.

This is a good point. If you get knocked out or submitted, you can tell yourself you just got caught and next time will be different. If you get utterly dominated for five rounds, it’s tough to spin any positives from it.

This is a good point. If you get knocked out or submitted, you can tell yourself you just got caught and next time will be different. If you get utterly dominated for five rounds, it’s tough to spin any positives from it.
Think about it. Jon Fitch probably really believed he was the best in the world for all those years. That fuels your motivation to train hard and prove it every day. But after he fought GSP, he knew just like all of us knew, there’s NO WAY he was ever gonna beat GSP.

That’s gotta impact a guys motivation and drive to be on top.

Back