Fact: Jones' primary gameplan was to wrestle Gus, not to try and outbox him

Or maybe Jones just prefers the "grappling" hand wraps?

TS you really should have at least addressed this in the OP

Just saying, your assumption does not equal opinion

Sure it does. But that certainly does not make it a fact.

I also don't understand why everyone is calling TS butthurt. It's an interesting piece of information that he provided along with his own thoughts. I didn't watch the video though and would like a source for stitch saying this (unless its in the video)

Which is more likely -- if wrapped in the same fashion, to break a hand with a thicker wrap or with a thinner wrap? No data needs to be analyzed to decode that. If there was no indistinguishable difference in reliability then they wouldn't be given the choice to begin with, don't you think?

In other words, you have no data to support your hypothesis.

Which is more likely -- if wrapped in the same fashion, to break a hand with a thicker wrap or with a thinner wrap? No data needs to be analyzed to decode that. If there was no distinguishable difference in reliability then they wouldn't be given the choice to begin with, don't you think?

I box and kickbox and I hate my wraps being thick and fixed in a position. I like them light and loose. Makes it easier to throw straight punches.

How do you know Jones wasn't planning on clinching with Gustafsson?

An interesting theory.

As for what might happen between Gus and Jon in a future fight; just have to see if Gus gets by Rumble first. I can't look beyond AJ right now. The man has been on a hot streak and looking very dangerous. Fortunately Gus seems to agree and has been trying very hard to avoid getting caught looking into the future.

Or he could be thinking...

My striking is solid, and I didn't prep wrestling as much, maybe I need all the help I can get in that area? That and I'll probably wobble him with some spinning elbow type shit, so my hands will be fine! :icon_chee

But there is no way it could be anything other than your take on it, right?

Apparently he prepped his wrestling enough (and I said 'adequately enough' in the OP) to make it his choice by catering to it. :wink:

If I were a Jones fan then this would be a bit disheartening and relatively concerning given that he all but failed to execute his 'Plan A' last time, which almost cost him the fight and consequently his belt.

Yeah,

Power punches are like 1/10th of Jones' striking game. He may have planned on fucking Alex up with elbows and headkicks and then finish him with a submission. Maybe the submission wrap is also better for his eyepoking technique.

Whatever the case is, its pretty clear that he will be more well-prepared for the next fight, assuming he stops using blow and starts training between fight camps like a normal professional.

TS you really should have at least addressed this in the OP

Sure it does. But that certainly does not make it a fact.

I also don't understand why everyone is calling TS butthurt. It's an interesting piece of information that he provided along with his own thoughts. I didn't watch the video though and would like a source for stitch saying this (unless its in the video)

meant to write fact instead of opinion...

And didn't mean to make it seem I thought he was a whiner, just don't like when people try and pass this shit off as facts

The recent talk of Jones barely training for fights is some kind of bizarre PR concoction. Jones had bad cardio earlier in his career and now how astoundingly good cardio. No one naturally develops great cardio out of nowhere without training hard. His body has also continued to get more solid, thick, and tight over the years.

If anything these rumors make the PED speculation look a lot more plausible, so it's a bit insane for guys like Stann to be spouting this stuff off.

What did Stan say?

meant to write fact instead of opinion...

And didn't mean to make it seem I thought he was a whiner, just don't like when people try and pass this shit off as facts

I hear ya, was just messing around. And the second part of my post wasn't really directed at you. The first few replies were all essentially "TS is butthurt"

I also don't understand why everyone is calling TS butthurt.

Because he is a known Gustafsson nut hugger and has made/participated in several threads suggesting Gus should have won the fight.

Labeling the thread "fact" when it's actually "speculation" doesn't really help his case.

Which is more likely -- if wrapped in the same fashion, to break a hand with a thicker wrap or with a thinner wrap? No data needs to be analyzed to decode that. If there was no distinguishable difference in reliability then they wouldn't be given the choice to begin with, don't you think?

What you're saying does make intuitive sense, but speeit is right. You do not have the required data draw this conclusion. It's just an opinion. But that's ok. It's still an interesting and plausible opinion.

I box and kickbox and I hate my wraps being thick and fixed in a position. I like them light and loose. Makes it easier to throw straight punches.

It's also higher in probability, even if not much, that you'll risk injuring your hand or wrist when punching because you're compromising stability in favor of increased mobility.

How do you know Jones wasn't planning on clinching with Gustafsson?

I'd hope that he was planning on clinching with Gustafsson at some point over a potential 25 minute fight. There aren't many MMA bouts where fighters never clinch, if even for a few seconds. Clinching is grappling so looser and thinner hand wraps would be the preferential wrap, which Jones requested in lieu of the thicker and more durable wrap for hand fighting.

Apparently he prepped his wrestling enough (and I said 'adequately enough' in the OP) to make it his choice by catering to it. :wink:

alright, cheif... I guess I don't get what you're getting at?

in the OP you said he needed to save face... from defending his LHW title for the umpteenth time... that makes sense...

you seem to honestly think that Jones, absolutely refused to work any wrestling, or someone said something similar and had to be taken word for word... Maybe they were using hyperbole and comparing it to other camps where Jones worked his wrestling a ton but wanted to focus more on the standup (where Gus primarily fights)

What exactly are you trying to prove with this thread?

A couple guys on Sherdog said that Jones didn't train wrestling and you are on a crusade to prove that at some point during his camp he did in fact wrestle?

This is a non-point and the only reason I jumped into the thread because I don't like when some knucklehead tries and pass of his opinion/assumptions as a fact.

Because he is a known Gustafsson nut hugger and has made/participated in several threads suggesting Gus should have won the fight.

Labeling the thread "fact" when it's actually "speculation" doesn't really help his case.

Oh I see, must have missed those.

b-but he never trained wrestling for this match! like AT ALL

luke thomas said to me that he BARELY, like BARELY trained for the fight AT ALL

and what about his S&C training? he barely trained that too

right guys?

It's also higher in probability, even if not much, that you'll risk injuring your hand or wrist when punching because you're compromising stability in favor of increased mobility.

I'd hope that he was planning on clinching with Gustafsson at some point over a potential 25 minute fight. There aren't many MMA bouts where fighters never clinch, if even for a few seconds. Clinching is grappling so looser and thinner hand wraps would be the preferential wrap, which Jones requested in lieu of the thicker and more durable wrap for hand fighting.

so show me the data on grapplers breaking their hands

Reaching. Jones was going on about how great his boxing was before that fight.

Then a fight happened where it looked like he would rather box.

As your luck would have it (being a Jones "fan"), logic dictates. Jones asked for the other hand wrap, the one you were hoping he didn't choose. :(

you dont need to point out that if the cutman said on the video that jj wanted the ko wrap he would be talking about it all day long

Back