Fact: Conor would be a fairly small LW...

McgreGOATsLeft

alone
@red
Reaction score
So for some reason the general consensus on Sherdog is that Conor would be a huge LW and that he shouldn't be at FW because of how big he is for that division but what people fail to realize is that he would be massively undersized against a good portion of the Lightweights. I mean you have guys like Tony Ferguson who cut down from 191, Will Brooks who cuts down from 183, Nate who is walking around at 200 currently. I mean Conor walks around MAX at 175-177, yet you guys think that the LW division is for him? Look I'm all for the man ceasing the opportunity and going up and trying to be a two division champ if the chance pops up but my point is that you guys have to stop being ridiculous and saying this is his "natural weight class" when that couldn't be further from the truth. If you can make the weight you can fight there and that's it.

image.jpeg

At 2:00 Tony states his weight.

ufc-194-mixed-martial-arts-76-390x285.jpg

hi-res-8683ea85d0b97755c98cf34f6661967e_crop_exact.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

20140718111956_DPP_1736.JPG

Frankie Edgar was the champ for a while and he probably can make 135.

If Conor is that good, it shouldn't matter.

(He's the biggest 145, wouldn't be the smallest 155)

Haters gonna hate, it's what they do. According to most of Sherdog he is a manlet that uses his enormous size advantage to pick on smaller fighters. Hate, Hate, Hate...

To be fair I think Nate is walking around at 200 because his cut is to 170 for this fight. Ferguson is crazy for cutting down from 190 though. It doesn't bother me though, if you can make the weight you can fight at the weight.

I haven't checked lately but when conor was first booked against RDA he would have had a longer reach than all but three top fifteen lightweights. Overall he would have been above average in size but not particularly big, and certain wouldn't be the biggest guy in his division anymore.

The extreme weight cutting doesn't help anyone and just creates a clusterfuck in all divisions. There's no way a 155 fighter should be anywhere near 200 pounds at any time.

Frankie Edgar was the champ for a while and he probably can make 135.

If Conor is that good, it shouldn't matter.

(He's the biggest 145, wouldn't be the smallest 155)

Hes not the biggest 145er that should go to Olivera considering he barely every makes weight

His situation is not that far removed from Poirier, Barao, Hendricks, etc.

His "natural" weight class is probably something around 150 lbs. But of the weight classes that do exist I have a hard time saying it's 145 lbs. That is a pretty brutal cut for him.

Nah, LW would be ideal for him. Conor wouldn't have to be as strict with his diet for LW as he is for FW.

I reckon he'll have 1 more fight at FW to give Aldo another scar on his face then move up.

His situation is not that far removed from Poirier, Barao, Hendricks, etc.

His "natural" weight class is probably something around 150 lbs. But of the weight classes that do exist I have a hard time saying it's 145 lbs. That is a pretty brutal cut for him.
I completely agree. When I was writing the op I was thinking exactly this.

Conor looks like he's knocking on deaths door making 145lbs.

It's not from a lack of discipline - he has no food in his body, no body fat and is completely bone dry.

No sane person is going to say making that type of hero cut is good for your career long term.

Back