Fact about Khabib that may surprise you.

It's gonna be a rough night for you my friend. The contrast between what you want to happen and what is going to happen may be too much for your hater brain to handle. Hope you have some numbing agents or a hotline number handy.
<LikeReally5>

But people do like to try to imply the Soviet block countries are far above American wrestling.
Sure I can agree with that. Off the top of my head, I think that may be because countries like Azerbaijan, Georgia, and either Armenia or Uzbekistan usually have at any given time at least one wrestler who is dominant over the stretch of a few years while the USA hasn't had many multi-year world finalists for a while. At least not until Burroughs and Snyder showed up.

Khabib is a MMA grappler, his success came from Combat Sambo, not Sport Sambo.

His career was guided by his father, who had experience in wrestling, judo and sambo. He probably chose the best path for his son considering his qualities and weaknesses..
Khabib also grew up training with/under one of the best Russian freestylers of the last half century.

If you watch his trips and throws, this is pretty apparent.

His ground pressure is top-notch, but the way he gets it there is usually NOT traditional wrestling.
This

He doesn't have a classic power double like a lot of wrestlers. He uses the clinch very effectively and uses sambo/judo throws and trips. Sambo is basically a combination of wrestling and judo.

It cant be easy trying to be a wrestler in dagestan. Even if youre great at wrestling like khabib you still arent top ten in your village.
And that's just intra-species. When you start throwing in bears and other animals, the talent pool gets even more crowded.

Judo trips are super effective in the clinch but underused. A lot of sambo throws are actually judo throws
All martial arts derive from the traditional arts there’s only so many ways your body can move. You can’t reinvent the wheel

This

He doesn't have a classic power double like a lot of wrestlers. He uses the clinch very effectively and uses sambo/judo throws and trips. Sambo is basically a combination of wrestling and judo.
Why do you associate a power double with wrestling but throws and trips with judo/sambo? Freestyle wrestling features a ton of trips and throws.

He's not athletic enough. That's what I've been saying when I've said these guys are second-tier wrestlers. Then some idiot tried to tell me Khabib is a better wrestler than Chad.
Khabib is a better wrestler than Chad. Chad was a good college wrestler, but no more than that. Plus he wrestled at 141 pounds, he's tiny. Khabib is much bigger, stronger, and comes from a much stronger wrestling base, along with his great judo.

What point?

The point is Khabib was never a wrestler. At least not his main style.
I disagree but not vehemently. I mean obviously Khabib's competitive history is that of sambo, combat sambo, and grappling, but he is most definitely a wrestler too. Sambo practitioners are pretty much all wrestlers (or judokas, or kickboxers) who decided at some point in their martial arts journey to compete in sambo. Its a sport made up of athletes from other sports. Also, of all the training Khabib has done throughout his career, he has trained at the wrestling club headed by World champ, Olympic medalist Sazid Sazhidov as much as anywhere else. Not to mention all the time he spent/spends in the wrestling room at AKA with DC, Cain, Shawn Bunch, Jamil Kelly, etc.

According to this page.

"after having trained for 5 years in Freestyle Wrestling without significant success, Nurmagomedov studied Judo under black belt Dzafar Dzafarov."

Did I just read that right? He was unsuccessful at freestyle wrestling and is more of a judo guy?

https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-news/top-10-non-bjj-submission-grapplers

that article also contains this sentence - "Ben Askren is one of the purest mixed martial arts fighters in the world today."

purest? is he a virgin, or has he never competed in any other sport other than mma? does he have a particularly strong aryan bloodline? or perhaps the article is a sack of jazzle

I disagree but not vehemently. I mean obviously Khabib's competitive history is that of sambo, combat sambo, and grappling, but he is most definitely a wrestler too. Sambo practitioners are pretty much all wrestlers (or judokas, or kickboxers) who decided at some point in their martial arts journey to compete in sambo. Its a sport made up of athletes from other sports. Also, of all the training Khabib has done throughout his career, he has trained at the wrestling club headed by World champ, Olympic medalist Sazid Sazhidov as much as anywhere else. Not to mention all the time he spent/spends in the wrestling room at AKA with DC, Cain, Shawn Bunch, Jamil Kelly, etc.
You just proved my point

Bring up these wrestling matches that khabib has competed in. You simply can't. He is not a competitive wrestler.

This is like saying GSP is a wrestler. GSP was definitely the best MMA wrestler tho.

Like any art it has its strengths in mixed combat. Judo rarely gets it credit in jiu jitsu since the burst of modern Jitz. But you always here about the old school black belt instructors beating pupils into submission by only holding the mount, or side mount, with crushing force. This is the Judo. This art of pinning. Khabib has impeccable control and makes you carry him at all times with his waist holds, head pressure, and wrist control.

You just proved my point

Bring up these wrestling matches that khabib has competed in. You simply can't. He is not a competitive wrestler.

This is like saying GSP is a wrestler. GSP was definitely the best MMA wrestler tho.
I was replying to your statement:

" The point is Khabib was never a wrestler. At least not his main style."

Now you're saying:

"He is not a competitive wrestler."

That is different. Khabib stopped competing in wrestling early but apparently he has competed in organized wrestling tournaments before. He competed in the schoolboy age group and stopped while a cadet, which is high school age. What Im saying is I consider him a wrestler bc he is highly trained over a long period of time by some of the best wrestling coaches and training partners in the world.

Khabib is a great great Wrestler probably one of the very best MMA has seen. The problem is Khabibs Village population of only 2000, people has produced 7 gold medalists winners at Olympics. Forget Dagestan for a second which has population of 2 millions and elite super competitive wrestlers of highest caliber, KHABIB village produced 7 7 7 gold medalists winners, so if your not on Olympic level to not only make Olympics but compete for a medal, you are considered a bust. But Khabibs black belt in judo has helped him more in MMA than if he were gold medalists, because he has great wrestling for US and European standards top notch but for Dagestan level average, that combination of wrestling and judo and sambo has made him one of best grapplers

Back