fact about khabib that may surprise you

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by anthony stark, Aug 7, 2015.

1. anthony stark

anthony stark genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist

after reading khabib's wikipedia page(i know. it may not be reliable), i've read that after having trained for 5 years in Freestyle Wrestling without significant success, Nurmagomedov studied Judo under black belt Dzafar Dzafarov.

Did I just read that right? He was unsuccessful at freestyle wrestling and is more of a judo guy?

2. epathebay

epathebay Green Belt

Unsuccessful in this situation means not good enough to be in the olympics. Wrestlers from the Northern Caucasus region of Russia are some of the best in the world. When Khabib realized he could not hang with them he transitioned to Judo in effort to be a more complete martial artist.

He's still in the top 99.9% of the world, just not Olympic level like some of his fellow countrymen.

3. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

It didn't say he was unsuccessful it said he didn't have significant success. I don't find it surprising really, the Caucasus Region has some of the best wrestlers in the world and have a surprising amount of medalists for a relatively small area.

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/6377-olympic-medalists-from-the-caucasus-region/

4. $uicideboy$

$uicideboy$ ROPE GANG Banned

ronda tools khabib confirmed

5. JP557CU

JP557CU Brown Belt

Yea that area has the best of the best, there are guys who were backups and get their shot and win worlds right away.

6. everysecond

everysecond Purple Belt

tried to do a Inb4 this thread becomes a ronda thread but you won.

7. yookfarb

yookfarb Red Belt

Just being born over there is like the equivalent of a NCAA D1 all american

8. Chromosome47

Chromosome47 Brown Belt

I am from the Caucus region of Georgia and can confirm, we are stronger than you're average white boys. My first year at wrestling in the 7th grade here in the states my coach would get pissed at me because I never listened to him or cared about technique and instead would hip toss to pin everyone to victory with relative ease.

Edit: Also we're particularly dope in Judo.

9. Chromosome47

Chromosome47 Brown Belt

I accomplished what I wanted to in wrestling in highschool, pursued academics after that. If you wan't to be successful on the highest level you have to be consumed and obsessed by it which I was not ready to be during college. I am an American Citizen and have American friends who are some of the best wrestlers in the nation that are naturally quite a bit stronger than me. Don't be such a sensitive bitch, all I'm saying is the average males over there are definitely stronger than the average males here. Dan Gable has even commented on it so shut it you mouth breathing pencil neck.

10. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

Yeah, Dagestan have the most best/per area? in the world.. What I try to say is, Khabib would have to be best of the best to earn a place in world championships/olympics, I don't doubt Khabib is a high level, but Dagestan has best wrestlers > all other countries. It's why we get gold so much :D and in Judo too.

11. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

Agreed. Can you lezginka? But Georgia are great at wrestling and Judo, Georgians are also nice people :D

12. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Not all olympians become champions. Not all crap wrestlers are crap MMA fighters. I think it's important to remember that MMA is its own sport and even though the elements appear similar, they have to be executed in different variations to have success in MMA.

Some guys are natural fighters even if they're not exceptional athletes in a given sport.

13. Givvee

Givvee Purple Belt

Doesn't make sense at all since you don't have any significant success in Greco-Roman wrestling, which requires much more physical strenght than freestyle wrestling.

My guess in that you never wrestled in your life.

14. DatSamboKid

DatSamboKid Black Belt

10/10

15. Davemeddlehed

Davemeddlehed There's no mercy in this dojo!

Virtually everyone on the planet is in the top 99.9% for wrestling.

16. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun Autocratic Centrist

Democratic People's Islamic Republic of Kekistan
    Hehe, good catch.

17. Fedorgasm

Fedorgasm Silver Belt

LOL people over 90, or those who have severe physical handicaps would make up the 0.01%

18. ChickenBrother

ChickenBrother JCPENNEY $3.98 BELT

This made me lol. I hear you brother - as another guy who's trained and competed, sometimes it's hard to give an informed opinion on this site without being misunderstood and criticized by someone who hasn't.

Do wrestlers in the Caucasus come from primarily rural areas? They weren't wrestlers, but my dad's side grew up on a farm and I remember my dad and uncles were always strong as shit even into their 50's and 60's, years after they stopped working the farm. Farm strength also applies to kids that grew up in that environment in places like Iowa, which also produces a lot of great wrestlers.

19. Chromosome47

Chromosome47 Brown Belt

Sounds like you got your ass beat by a Georgian, get over it. There are only 5 million Georgians that live in Georgia, we are disproportionately good at grappling sports you putz.

20. Chromosome47

Chromosome47 Brown Belt

Haha I can brother, haven't since I was a child though. Sorry for quoting these individually by post I'm on my phone and don't know how to do it all in one post.