Social Facial recognition to replace passports, IDs at US airports

I’m cool with it

For some reason things like this don’t bother me. I’m not committing any crimes or doing shady business so have at it

I dunno man

It often seems to me like we are laying the ground work for a weird sci fi dystopian future where everyone is under surveillance at all times , every fact about you is sorted and stored and all its going to take is one crazy fucker to start making lists and things can go south in a real hurry. Cops will be showing up at gun owners house all like your voice sounded anxious on alexa and you looked to be pacing around and nervous on your smart tv so we are going to need to come in and ask some questions .

Might make things quicker and easier today ,hell it might even catch a terrorist .... but its also one step closer to being in checkmate from govt/corporations and having zero privacy even in your own thoughts

But Im also sure that its too late to turn back and now all we can do is watch as a mix of irobot , the terminator and demolition man becomes a reality

The thread title here makes it seem like travelers don't have the option of using their ID instead of their faces. I made a thread about the exact same issues some months ago and most of the responses were like zebby's (who cares, it's more convenient). It seems people aren't so offended when they realize they can still use their ID instead.

I think we should be opposed even if there is a choice. I don't want the federal government to have a database of our faces in HD. Even if there's no nefarious 1984 angle, sloppiness/negligence can easily lead to leaks.
they already have your face. privacy evaporated a long time ago. This security can easily be averted too
The State Department has your face if you have a passport. Other than that, which federal agency has your face?

I dont understand why people oppose this. Its future and there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

I dont understand why people oppose this. Its future and there is nothing you can do about it anyway.
Well, they probably think there is something that can be done about it---for example, putting pressure on public officials to end these programs or even pass laws forbidding them.

Don't get me wrong, I have a "Don't like it, don't travel" attitude, but I doubt this stops at the airports.
Oh it won't stop at the airports and I am sure they will push boundaries, eventually into all public and quasi public spaces in ways that will make many more feel uncomfortable.

I am just saying it is very silly to be upset about this in airports when one way or the other they are capturing your digit image, and this just speeds things up but is not otherwise a bigger infringement.

Back