Facebook to Banks: Give Us Your Data, We’ll Give You Our Users

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-to-banks-give-us-your-data-well-give-you-our-users-1533564049

Updated Aug. 6, 2018 1:50 p.m. ET

Facebook Inc. FB 4.45% wants your financial data.

The social-media giant has asked large U.S. banks to share detailed financial information about their customers, including card transactions and checking-account balances, as part of an effort to offer new services to users.

Facebook increasingly wants to be a platform where people buy and sell goods and services, besides connecting with friends. The company over the past year asked JPMorgan Chase JPM 0.03% & Co., Wells Fargo WFC 0.10% & Co., Citigroup Inc. C 0.01% and U.S. BancorpUSB 0.04% to discuss potential offerings it could host for bank customers on Facebook Messenger, said people familiar with the matter.

Facebook has talked about a feature that would show its users their checking-account balances, the people said. It has also pitched fraud alerts, some of the people said.

Data privacy is a sticking point in the banks’ conversations with Facebook, according to people familiar with the matter. The talks are taking place as Facebook faces several investigations over its ties to political analytics firm Cambridge Analytica, which accessed data on as many 87 million Facebook users without their consent.

One large U.S. bank pulled away from talks due to privacy concerns, some of the people said.

Facebook has told banks that the additional customer information could be used to offer services that might entice users to spend more time on Messenger, a person familiar with the discussions said. The company is trying to deepen user engagement: Investors shaved more than $120 billion from its market value in one day last month after it said its growth is starting to slow.

Facebook said it wouldn’t use the bank data for ad-targeting purposes or share it with third parties.

“We don’t use purchase data from banks or credit card companies for ads,” said spokeswoman Elisabeth Diana. “We also don’t have special relationships, partnerships, or contracts with banks or credit-card companies to use their customers’ purchase data for ads.”

So what say you WR, want your banks to give up you financial data to Facebook? Social media and banking in bed together...yeah, that's a greaaaaaaaaaat idea.

I generally would believe there was already laws in place for this to not happen. Of course there isn't...

Every industry wants to make more money off their data

I generally would believe there was already laws in place for this to not happen. Of course there isn't...

Every industry wants to make more money off their data
As if facebook doesn't already have an incredibly intrusive hold on the public life of its users. Next it'll be them lobbying Big Insurance to get your medical data.

Jeez, that's pretty brazen and upfront.

They could have at least arranged a meeting about adoptions.

As if facebook doesn't already have an incredibly intrusive hold on the public life of its users. Next it'll be them lobbying Big Insurance to get your medical data.

They already passed legislation with ISPs giving away your data. I've heard the argument for things like this is it's metadata and isn't information that's tied directly back to a specific person.

So the company with an appalling record concerning user privacy, thinks it should be allowed access to the most private information of it's users.

Integrate your banking, checking accounts, credit card accounts, into your facebook? "just imagine the convenience!"- corp ball washer

They already passed legislation with ISPs giving away your data. I've heard the argument for things like this is it's metadata and isn't information that's tied directly back to a specific person.
Slowly but surely online anonymity is being stripped away and the idea of privacy is pissed away.

That's it. I'm requesting my pay in bullion from now on.

So, shortly after Cambridge Analytica, Facebook wants even more personal data? I believe that tone is quite deaf.

Jeez, that's pretty brazen and upfront.

They could have at least arranged a meeting about adoptions.
Man, Trump and his family really ARE living in your head aren't they.... now back on topic.

Dont have a bank account, dont have a Facebook

<seedat>

So, shortly after Cambridge Analytica, Facebook wants even more personal data? I believe that tone is quite deaf.
Given that CA didn't break Facebook, I'm not sure this will do it either.

"Facebook said it wouldn’t use the bank data for ad-targeting purposes or share it with third parties."

Anyone that actually believes this deserves all the bad things that happen to them because of it. So glad I dumped facebook years ago and never looked back.

What do they have to fear? Stock dropped for a moment and went on to higher highs. Nothing more than a speed bump.

"Facebook said it wouldn’t use the bank data for ad-targeting purposes or share it with third parties."

Anyone that actually believes this deserves all the bad things that happen to them because of it. So glad I dumped facebook years ago and never looked back.
Sad thing is even if people bailed on Facebook, there will just be another social media company doing the same thing. Not sure there is enough political will in Washington or the electorate to stomp on the necks of these companies.

Facebook should be paying users for their data, since they're selling our information to other companies.

Sorry, gotta go
My Sherdog account is bad news for my credit score.

Facebook, Amazon, Yahoo, Twitter, etc, etc should send everyone one on the planet a check for $1000 for selling our information over and over again.

Back