Facebook exposed my private account and now my gf is pissed

Kim Jong Un

Absolute Boss
@Brown
Reaction score
So back in high school I went with the fad and made a facebook and added a bunch of friends, and over time I found out having a bunch of information about you being totally public is not always a great idea, and in general I didnt really like facebook, but I didnt want to delete it because there are some old friends that I havent hung out with years but just like the idea that I could contact them if I wanted to. Also when I got hired to my current company they actually required that I have a facebook to confirm my identity. So Im in no position to delete it, so I did the next best thing and turned every single privacy setting to the most private option available. Basically I was invisible to all strangers/anyone I hadnt already added as a friend. One convenient advantage of this was that every time I started dated a clingy possessive girl I could just say sorry I have zero social media because I hate it and I was essentially telling the truth, since I never actually use facebook and have no other social media. Well I tried that with my current gf and she comes at me like "WHY ARE YOU LYING I KNOW YOU HAVE ONE!" and it turns out facebook has been slowly removing privacy settings forcing users to share more info and now my private account simply appears in any search to anyone who types my name. And I know Im not misremembering that you used to be able to have a private account, this news article I found is written by a tech guy and basically the same thing happened to him: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/29/facebook-privacy-secret-profile-exposed

So basically this is really bullshit and I wanted to warn anyone who might think they are safe with the old "I dont have a facebook" line. Im pretty tempted to delete it now.

The news reported that type of thing with Facebook making private info public via oopsie happened a few times at least.

love.png

You should assume that anything you put on the internet everyone you know will eventually find out about.

Once you go through life with that assumption, it's going to be easier.

It's the equivalent of saying something behind someone's back, back in the day. Assume everyone will hear it.

They will.

any job requiring you to have a facebook account 'to verify your identity' is a fucking red flag.

'Sorry I I'm not on Facebook'.
"well we can't employ you then".

This would be acceptable in my books only if you applied for a job at Facebook.

any job requiring you to have a facebook account 'to verify your identity' is a fucking red flag.

Social media manager?

But it seems a very suspect from of ID

I wouldn't actually be surprised if they respected you more for not having a Facebook account at Facebook (engineers at least).

I've always thought it was a terrible idea, this goes back to the early 2000's when I saw my buddy had a Myspace page and he was posting pics of himself after the gym flexing to meet girls. Dude was already pulling ass just getting out of bed, now he had to make a hyper-real commercial about himself. Lo and behold the dude was addicted. He says he gave it up recently, we're talking at least a decade of addiction by that guy. I tend to believe him over him quitting social media, but like anyone with an addiction, it wouldn't surprise me if he was lying.

If you are normal you don't need to advertise yourself. Facebook is basically that to me.

I've dropped so many females out of my life who couldn't shake the FB, social media profile life. They always apologize for it by saying oh, I don't use it for hooking up, I use it to find my cousin who I haven't seen in 15 years, or I found my old elementary school page and I am reconnecting with them. Bullshit. The shit is and has always been like a cancer, a scourge on the human race. I saw through that shit since day 1

Best thing that ever happened to me was my FB got hacked and subsequently deleted back in 2011 by FB themselves. Never looked back and everything is gone

So back in high school I went with the fad and made a facebook and added a bunch of friends, and over time I found out having a bunch of information about you being totally public is not always a great idea, and in general I didnt really like facebook, but I didnt want to delete it because there are some old friends that I havent hung out with years but just like the idea that I could contact them if I wanted to. Also when I got hired to my current company they actually required that I have a facebook to confirm my identity. So Im in no position to delete it, so I did the next best thing and turned every single privacy setting to the most private option available. Basically I was invisible to all strangers/anyone I hadnt already added as a friend. One convenient advantage of this was that every time I started dated a clingy possessive girl I could just say sorry I have zero social media because I hate it and I was essentially telling the truth, since I never actually use facebook and have no other social media. Well I tried that with my current gf and she comes at me like "WHY ARE YOU LYING I KNOW YOU HAVE ONE!" and it turns out facebook has been slowly removing privacy settings forcing users to share more info and now my private account simply appears in any search to anyone who types my name. And I know Im not misremembering that you used to be able to have a private account, this news article I found is written by a tech guy and basically the same thing happened to him: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/29/facebook-privacy-secret-profile-exposed

So basically this is really bullshit and I wanted to warn anyone who might think they are safe with the old "I dont have a facebook" line. Im pretty tempted to delete it now.
Red flag red flag abort abort

I haven't used my facebook in over 5 years. Best thing that I ever did.

I was pretty sure your facebook account can be searched online but it cannot be accessed. Anyone who tries to click on the link with a facebook account will see a page stating the contents are private.

OP you didn't have to lie. You could have just said its set to private and i don't use it anymore. Woulda been the end of it.

Last edited:
Back