Face It UFCBT: Nick Diaz is a bigger draw than Ronda Rousey

tuff juice

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
It's really not even all that close.
People generally either love Diaz or hate him. Both sides watch, and either root for him or against him. It's tough to find a neutral on Diaz. As much of a 'headache' he may seem to be to outsiders, he is a salesman. He's a lot like Chael but they appeal to the exact opposite groups and repulse the exact opposite groups. But they both always be sellin.
As for Ronda, from 90% of what I read on here, people either love Ronda or ignore her, because they seem to think they know what's coming. It'd help for her to have an epic career defining fight. She's like a 2 minute pop song that some fans are starting to get sick of seeing.
That said, she's still a really good draw in the way Lesnar was, probably bringing buys from segments they didn't have access to before. a great draw and a great front-person to promote and for these reasons, and I totally get why they allow her to duck Cyborg, the same exact way that Tito doesn't get it, and hitched himself to that MMA station-wagon.
But Ronda's not close to the salesman Nick is. Dana can just stand back and let the main event promote itself with Diaz on Board. Ronda sells some but is at her best just being herself, not trying to do too much.

Great job on the evidence it really supports your argument.

That's cool. Which part of Fast & Furious 7 or The Expendables does Nick play in? I havent seen him in any of the previews. Must be a surprise guest.

Nick Diaz stock is slowly dropping. He needs to fuck up a bitch soon.

ta+ta+ta+ta+ta.gif

who cares?

It's probably about even, neither one is Lesnar esque figure and never will be.

ok lets face facts. UFC 137 vs UFC 170 two cards decimated by injuries

Nick Diaz headlined UFC 137 against a very well known legend in BJ Penn 280,000 buys

Ronda Rousey headlined UFC 170 against a little known and quiet Olympic Medalist 340,000 buys

You might be onto something there OP. However, Honda is still fighting and making movies etc. She will probably make 3 to 4 times the amount of money Nick will ever make in his career especially since Nick doesn't even care about fighting anymore. Besides, as he said so himself, fighting gets in the way of his pot smoking. Such a shame, I really miss that guy.

ok lets face facts. UFC 137 vs UFC 170 two card decimated by injuries

Nick Diaz headlined UFC 137 against a very well known legend in BJ Penn 280,000 buys

Ronda Rousey headlined UFC 170 against a little known and quiet Olympic Medalist 340,000 buys

To be fair, you also have to thrown in that everyone was probably at a halloween party during UFC 137

To be fair, you also have to thrown in that everyone was probably at a halloween party during UFC 137

You could also throw in that UFC 170 was completely overshadowed by the winter Olympics.

You know, in order to be a draw you have to actually fight

ok lets face facts. UFC 137 vs UFC 170 two cards decimated by injuries

That was Nick's first fight in the UFC after having been gone for years. Penn was coming off a draw with Fitch and double losses to Edgar. That card also promised Condit and GSP which caused a vacuum.

Nick is a much bigger draw now.

I don't see any circumstances that RR could fight a legitimate top 10 peer in her division as a headliner and draw a million PPV buys. I say top 10 in her division because this excludes stunt bookings (like a 5 year retired actress coming off a loss) It's possible if she's anchored by some other big marquee fight but not with her as the feature.

Nick already has, and most certainly could, pull 7 figure buy rates as a headliner.

Back