1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Fabricio Werdum joins PFL, sees himself fighting ‘two more years’

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by MMALOPEZ, Nov 13, 2020.

1. MMALOPEZ Steel Belt

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/11...with-pfl-sees-himself-fighting-two-more-years

“I didn’t close the deal with Bellator because they wanted me to rematch Fedor Emelianenko in my first fight. I respect Fedor a lot. I can’t say he turned the fight down, but this negotiation with Fedor didn’t go through because of their side. Bellator wanted that to be the first fight to cause an impact, then we would close a deal for four or five more fights.

“I’ve also heard that Ali Abdelaziz (Werdum’s manager) has been talking with the PFL and I might join their tournament. I don’t know if people know it that well in Brazil, but it’s like a tournament. You enter, you fight four times and if you win those four fights, you win one million dollars, plus your purse. You win the purse that’s been previously established and the one million dollars. That made me pretty interested. It’s good, right?”

vanguard23 and David Street like this.
  2. TheBrownRanger Brown Belt

PFL needs bigger names so fuck it, I'm cool with seeing him there. I'd like to see him juice and sub everyone there like Vinny Magalhaes did. Difference is, Werdum has something resembling cardio.

3. careto Black Belt

What seems to be the problem with the first fight being against Fedor? Do you really want to risk Fedor or Werdum losing a fight before the rematch? Both of them are over 40 already, if a rematch is going to happen, it needs to happen as soon as possible. For once, I will side with Bellator on this one.

Plus, if Werdum wins the rematch he will be riding high and could possibly get a title shot soon, so that second negotiation for 4 or 5 more fights would be more lucrative, wouldnt it?

4. MMALOPEZ Steel Belt

I agree! Fabricio is talking like they are 20. Ali will put him on PFL and get them to overpay for his services

CinemaKingdom likes this.
  5. manboy<3 Pathetic hater,MEGA shill

with modern PEDs a lot of those old heavyweights can keep on going for ever...people want to see them fight so their value never really goes to zero...

That's why Werdum probably has every intetion of fighting for 2 more years..

tony pepperoni likes this.
  6. RODNEY83 Purple Belt

Good for him. Go get that money. The Fedor Emelianenko vs Fabricio Werdum immediate rematch makes no sense for Fabricio Werdum in what would be his first fight in Bellator. There are plenty of heavyweights out there, not in Bellator, that would agree to a one fight deal to be a tone up opponent for Werdum in Bellator. Go to the PFL, get fresh matchups and chase that $1 million dollars. Thank goodness, there won't be another, tiresome rematch in Bellator of a long ago fight. Move it forward Bellator. Enough already. Make a rematch of Larkin vs Lima, Daley vs MVP, Lima vs Daley, Larkin vs Daley, Javy Ayala vs Sergei Kharitonov. Bellator has enough rematches they can make with their own current fighters without letting them be under billings for past their prime fighters.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    David Street and TheBrownRanger like this.
  7. CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

Kind of weird he has a problem with his first fight being against Fedor. He kept talking about wanting to fight Fedor.

Danespina, MMALOPEZ and CC27 like this.
  8. CC27 Gold Belt

Yeah that didnt make sense to me either. Like thats biggest fight for you out the gate, a fight you probably win and then you get a title shot.

Whats the issue?

Ali will hook him up with PFL money, he'll be favorite to win HW tournament and win a mill.

MMALOPEZ likes this.
  9. careto Black Belt

Can you elaborate why his first fight against Fedor does not make sense for him?

MMALOPEZ likes this.
  10. norsuu Green Belt

pfl ¿¿ is it a mma organization??

11. iDisagree Banned Banned

Ducking Fedor confirmed.

12. RODNEY83 Purple Belt

In activity for Fabricio Werdum. Also marketing him with the Bellator audience by getting him a win in the Bellator cage. All of this blah blah blah what if he loses crap is blah blah blah. Fabricio Werdum vs Fedor Emelianenko needs to be set up by something else first, not just thrown together like some incompetent fan boy type of idiocy from Bellator management who is actually supposed to be thinking smarter than fan boys. None of those so called past their prime Bellator matchups have worked out to be anything but duds, except Tito Ortiz vs Stephan Bonner because none of them were set up by tone up matched for the fighters in those matchups. So what does Scott Coker do? He insistently wants to repeat the same tiresome stupid formula that hasn't worked before. Insanity.

13. careto Black Belt

Fedor vs Werdum II is the one fight that does not to be build up. There is no need to build Werdum to the Bellator's audience; Werdum is a legend and everyone knows who he is already. Is not like Bellator's audience is unaware of UFC fighters. Both are legends and both are coming off victories. Right now is the ideal time for them to have the rematch.

Rudeboyben84 and CinemaKingdom like this.
  14. Danespina Gold Belt

Because PFL needs bigger names is why I don’t want to see Werdum go there. I’d rather see the Fedor rematch or a bout against Ryan Bader. He’s only got 2 years left.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  15. Aldo145 Green Belt

Should be the favorite to win the season if he signs. Pfl needs some exciting fighters.

16. TheBrownRanger Brown Belt

I personally don't understand what all these rematches 10 years past a fighter's prime would solve. We know who won at their best, why again? That's just me though. I guess there's nostalgia appeal.

Werdum in the PFL would be more interesting to me as there's more unknown variables and it would be cool to see a 43 year old to sub all of those PFL HWs and win a cool million while making PFL more watchable. Werdum beating Fedor again and vice versa would not surprise me in the least. Legend fights have no real bearing on the Bellator title picture.

Also, the PFL schedule is brutal for finalists. If Werdum makes the finals, that's 5 fights in a year. More Werdum to watch.

Aldo145 and careto like this.
  17. RODNEY83 Purple Belt

Wrong. Fabricio Werdum has never fought in the Bellator cage in front of the Bellator audience. Fabricio Werdum will be inactive by the time he would have signed and fought his 1st fight in Bellator, therefore, a tone up fight would have been ideal to get the ring rust off, to get him accustomed to fighting in a Bellator cage, get him acquainted to the 3 round Bellator main events and co-main events. And yes, Fabricio Werdum does need to be introduced to the Bellator audience. Sherdoggers, constantly assuming that other MMA organizations audiences watch other MMA organizations. Straight up arrogance in that mindset.

18. careto Black Belt

It is not arrogance, the UFC is the premier MMA organozation in the world. Bellator is #2 and is not even close in terms of popularity. I cant picture anyone watching Bellator but not at least knowing the best UFC fighters. Bellator has a following but UFC fighters are way way more popular. I doubt there is any Bellator fan who does not know who Werdum is.
    As far as inactivity goes, while I agree that both fighters will be inactive by the time they fight, they are also in their 40s; they cant wait around too much longer to fight. Plus, you would risk either of them losing their next fight and ruining the rematch.

19. careto Black Belt

Big John and Josh Thomson said Werdum is bullshitting. That Bellator never intended to sign Werdum because he does not fit the new way they are signing fighters. So, I guess Werdum is really going to the PFL.

Rizz likes this.
  20. TheBiggestLittleTinyMan Yellow Belt

It's been popular for people to say "ex-ufc/bellator fighter X should just sign with PFL and get an easy million" but it hasn't really worked out that way generally (for brooks, wade, magomedov, velickovic, story, other bellator guys I'm forgetting), but this might be one of the more clear cut cases. Other than Isaev (who's a good matchup for Werdum), who should even challenge him? Their heavies are overall really bad.

But there's still risk, Goltsov's a young fighter and could easily turn a corner with another year+ of training from his last loss. Look at Sordi, he went from getting KO'd by Ataev to demolishing him twice the next year and looking great.