Fabricio Werdum interview, talks first JDS fight + TUF and future

MMABr

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Source in portuguese: http://extra.globo.com/esporte/em-alta-no-ufc-werdum-sonha-com-cinturao-terei-prazer-em-coloca-lo-em-jogo-contra-cigano-7276388.html

On his fight against JDS, and how it changed him and his view on MMA and being a professional + intentions of rematch:

I learned a lot from that fight. In less than 2 minutes, I went from future title contender to being unemployed. On that time I blamed the UFC, but today I'm aware of my responsibilities. I was immature and wouldn't let something similar happen again.

Now that Cigano lost, the situation has changed a bit. It's obvious that I want to fight him again, but before I have my eyes on the belt. If I manage to get it, I would love to defend it against him. I, however, know that I have to get past Minotauro first and whoever they put in front of me.

Every fighter goes through times were he feels undefeatable and, in my case, it was thanks to my loss against Cigano that I went back to training hard and being a professional. I learned a lot from it and, afterwards, went on to get my most important victory against Fedor on Strikeforce. With him it won't be different.

TUF:

I won't leave Minotauro and his team alone but, of course, all the jokes will be healthy and in good taste. I don't have the intention to offend anyone, specially not Minotauro. I often say that whoever doesn't like him is a bit suspect/strange, to say the least! There's no rivalry between us, on the contrary, he's one of my idols.

Did my best with the translation! Werdum has often addressed this issue and how his loss against JDS basically changed his life as a professional and his approach towards training properly and never looking past an opponent. He overlooked him that time and, clearly, payed for it (inbeforeJDSkoingWerdum gif). Many might disagree, but he has improved a lot since then and I think a rematch would play very differently.

With all that said: VAI CAVALO! I hope he beats Big Nog and gets a shot after Overeem (if he beats Bigfoot). Would deserve it IMO.

no way Werdum faces Overeem if they both win. They wouldn't fight until fall and would leave Cain with no opponent. You don't leave the champion on the sidelines to make an unneeded #1 contender bout.

More likely is Cain vs Overeem in May then the winner fights Werdum in the fall.

Cool stuff, thanks for the post man. Good comments.

no way Werdum faces Overeem if they both win. They wouldn't fight until fall and would leave Cain with no opponent. You don't leave the champion on the sidelines to make an unneeded #1 contender bout.

More likely is Cain vs Overeem in May then the winner fights Werdum in the fall.

Where did I say that? I meant that, if Werdum beats Minotauro he should get the shot after Cain/AO happens (if Overeem defeats Bigfoot, clearly).

Werdum obviously has a lot of respect for Big Nog. Nice sportsmanship!

werdum is my favorite hw. seems like a real cool guy

thanks TS! def cant wait for Werdum vs Nog. big Nog fan but i still hope Werdum gets the W to make things much more interesting at the top.

Nice guy. Don't think he can beat JDS though. It'd be a repeat.

Nice guy. Don't think he can beat JDS though. It'd be a repeat.

Yeah probably this unfortunately, can't see him breaking into the JDS/Cain/AO territory, may be the best guy outside of those three though.

Thanks MMABr. Sherdog should really look into having people like yourself to translate articles for them. That way we don't have to deal with trying to decipher GoogleTranslate stuff into English.

FabricioWerdumFace125x125.jpg

Back