F#*king the bar

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by DevilMMA, Aug 12, 2010.

1. DevilMMA

DevilMMA Orange Belt

For the last few days Ive really been working on ironing out a few cracks in my technique. Ive been training for years but its only been in the last 2 years that Ive really veered towards the Rippetoe/Bill Starr type workouts (albeit with a couple of minor mods)...

What are peoples thoughts on 'fucking the bar' when DLing or PCing? Im really trying to get my explosiveness through the hips goings and it seems like a very good analogy to approach lifting with. It also seems to tie in to the whole 'catapult' vs 'triple extension debate' doing the rounds on OLing.

It weird..... when I do the 'fucking the bar' approach and really get my hips shooting forwards I do end up in a triple extension but its not like before where I was 'jumping' and almost actively trying to achieve triple extension as a primary goal as opposed to a side effect.

Apols if Im not making much sense..... I find describing lifts quite tricky to put into words!

:confused:

2. deckingdutchman

deckingdutchman Orange Belt

That's how I always though about deadlifting.

Push your legs through the ground, and when the bar hits your knees, fuck the bar.

3. millasur

millasur Blue Belt

I've been working hard on my clean technique recently, and the best (well it feels best) thing I did was to start from the 'hang' position, eg deadlift the bar fully, then go back to the 'hang' position. settle yourself, then proceed to take the bar to the rack position (on the chest/shoulders as if you were front squatting. I find if you make an effort to 'fuck the bar' that gives you the kind of drive needed.

4. glennpendlay

glennpendlay Yellow Belt

I am not sure how you could or why you would use this type of thing on the deadlift... But for cleans that is actually a fair description of the top pull.

5. speedtech

speedtech White Belt

I have no idea why you would do it during a deadlift... but yes during a power clean, you thrust your hips into the bar then shrug so that the bar path continues upward before the catch. (without the shrug, the bar would move out away from you; which is exactly what you don't want).

6. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

Christian Thibideau called it The Midnight Move and I laughed about it and still use it today.

7. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

If you are not using your own private barbell, make sure you always use a condom.

8. DevilMMA

DevilMMA Orange Belt

Obviously for DLing Im not looking for triple extension!

As soon as the weight comes past the knees, the hips are thrust forward thus straightening the body.

As opposed to..... As soon as the weight comes past the knees you straighten by pushing through your back. (If you see what I mean).

Same result..... different focus.

9. Roy

Roy Yellow Belt

I don't know if its good for powercleans, but for deadlift it's definitely something i try to "mentally focus" on. I try to think more about bringing my hips forward explosively ("fucking the bar") while maintaining a neutral lumbar spine RATHER than just thinking about "pulling the bar up." I think it helps a lot.