Ezekiel Choke

You should never get caught with that. If you do, you know you were being lazy and quit on yourself.

cross collar choke is simple, clock choke is simple, hell even a triangle is simple...it's all about the set up, if the other guy has an awesome setup there's no way in hell to avoid it. it's not about being lazy or quitting, sometimes you just have to admit the other guy's setup was better than your defense

I was looking for the no gi ezekiel and came across this. Paulson definitely uses the throat crush method.

This is the only other no gi ezekiel video I was able to find. He does show the blood choke version, which is the way I prefer it as well. I tried to find another, but this was it. Until someone else puts out a huge libary of stuff for free on youtube it's just gonna be that way.

Last edited:
The throat-crunch variant was the reason I lost my nogi match at NAGA. It's a bitch.

Nothing really if it gets you the tap(it's just viewed as a bit more "dick"), but the choke when actually applied properly is a blood choke. I'm of the school a taps a tap, but for a purist that's what they are referring to.

I know its a blood choke, but as usual technique is bent unto competition.

Take for example Kashiwazaki, showing his way of applying it.

YouTube - Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki-Sode Guruma Jime

tapping out to a trachea pressure is not common once you get above white belts in BJJ.

tapping out to a trachea pressure is not common once you get above white belts in BJJ.

lol?

YouTube - Fedor Emelianenko vs Kazuyuki Fujita (2003) [FULL]

See how fast Fujita taps to a trachea aiming RNC, so does Tim Sylvia.

Maybe you have not faced the kind of athletes that will actually make you feel your adams apple touch the back of your trache

There is a big difference between trachea pressure and trachea closure. Im pretty sure you would tap if Fedor applied some "trachea pressure" on you.

What's wrong with hitting the trachea? it makes people tap faster.

The trachea crush ezekiel hurts, but it's lower percentage and easier to escape from. A lot of guys will just grab the sleeve and start smashing with the fist to try and finish really fast instead of taking the time to get the strangle fully on. To survive that you just have to make a tiny adjustment (turn the way the hand is pointing) and then the pressure is no longer on your trachea, it's just on the side of your neck. It's even lower-percentage in no-gi. Higher level guys know the difference between an effective submission and just pain, and they will work through the pain and escape.

This is getting old.

pointing out some MMA fights to prove a point against something about the application I said about BJJ.

I ref a couple weeks ago.

3 subs were perfect ezekiels the way BJJ teach it which led to a tap.

1 was that horrible trachea pressure and liftining the neck which lead to nothing apart me watching some poor kids getting his neck crancked but he never tapped

The last one was a nasty ezekiel with fist against the cartoroid but since it was single, it was painful but not succesfull.

I am talking from being there watching kids on the mats getting their trachea getting squashed and I am talking about BJJ

I do not have any experience about MMA but you like showing links about MMA to make your points against my input regarding BJJ.

Do you train MMA?

I was looking for the no gi ezekiel and came across this. Paulson definitely uses the throat crush method.

Erik Paulson is definitely legit.
This is the only other no gi ezekiel video I was able to find. He does show the blood choke version, which is the way I prefer it as well. I tried to find another, but this was it. Until someone else puts out a huge libary of stuff for free on youtube it's just gonna be that way.

This guy...not so much.

No-gi Choke from Mount | LOCKFLOW.COM is where I found a no-gi variant that's pretty successful. You also have a good s-mount armbar setup from there as well.

As a sidenote, perhaps a sticky should be made with good techniques shown. Ari's video clearly sets himself up for an upa sweep, and simply putting pressure with your fist into the guy's neck like that won't stand up in a live roll.

If you're a blue, there's not much to drill really. Easiest is from mount, one arm under his neck. Pinned hand grabs free hand's cuff, wrap around blocking the artery. Wait 5-10 seconds, roll your partner on his side and tell him to stay there for a minute while he comes to.

emphasis added. Recovery position ftw. None of the judo "feet in the air" crap. That does little to nothing. We had a good thread on this too.

The trachea crush ezekiel hurts, but it's lower percentage and easier to escape from.

Depends on how its applied, if you are using a fist instead of the knife of the hand, if you are aiming lower instead of higher.

Basically if technique is bad it won't work, but you can say the same about everything.

A lot of guys will just grab the sleeve and start smashing with the fist to try and finish really fast instead of taking the time to get the strangle fully on. To survive that you just have to make a tiny adjustment (turn the way the hand is pointing) and then the pressure is no longer on your trachea,

Again, depends on many details. Check the video i posted

it's just on the side of your neck. It's even lower-percentage in no-gi. Higher level guys know the difference between an effective submission and just pain, and they will work through the pain and escape.

You dont need to be high level you just need high spirit and a teacher that would only tighten a choke because you tapped out of pain, in my first month of training i stopped tapping from pain after getting knocked out many times because i felt like tapping from pressure only. Ah the old days.

This is getting old.

pointing out some MMA fights to prove a point against something about the application I said about BJJ.

Yeah because MMA fighters have different physiology than BJJ practitiones, completely different species.

I ref a couple weeks ago.

3 subs were perfect ezekiels the way BJJ teach it which led to a tap.

You realize that Ezekiel didn't even existed in BJJ until the late 80s?

1 was that horrible trachea pressure and liftining the neck which lead to nothing apart me watching some poor kids getting his neck crancked but he never tapped

Bad technique is bad technique.

I am talking from being there watching kids on the mats getting their trachea getting squashed and I am talking about BJJ

I forgot that BJJ is so different that it involves pretty much different physiology, therefore Kashiwazaki way of showing gi sode guruma jime from mount wouldn't work in a BJJ matc.

I do not have any experience about MMA but you like showing links about MMA to make your points against my input regarding BJJ.

Do you train MMA?

Nope, its just because in MMA examples there are usually zooms, slow motions and different angles along with no gi blocking the view.

I also provided a videolink showing Kashiwazaki one of the best ground technicians in Judo who has coached at the highest level and wrote books consisting only in chokes. Showing how to apply a sode guruma for competition. Maybe if more people learned the time tested competition variant, they would stop calling it low percentage and a noob move.

Anyway on the physiological explanation of why it "doesnt works" against the trachea.

1.- using a fist, this is simply because people lack hand strength, the trachea sode guruma jime must be done with the knife of the hand "karate style", this not only increases pressure (pressure = force / area), but also allows you to avoid the protection of the muscles of the neck which leads to

2.- The muscles of the neck are really strong and will protect the trachea from danger in most chokes, but it still can be targeted from its weak spots. Above the adam's apple there is little muscle to protect also right above the sternum, try this exercise clasp your neck between thumb and index finger and let the sharp skin work as the "knife of the hand" now flex your neck muscles and press perpendicularly to your neck, you will feel pressure, keep pushing, you will feel pain, but nothing that would make you give up gold if you really want.

Now same exercise but now attack diagonally downward from or above the adam's apple, you will feel some pressure, keep pushing and then you get the gag reflex, this is an involuntary reflex and something that would make you tap, there is simply no "macho attitude towards such reflex", saying that its like those neo-con bloggers saying they can endure waterboarding.

You can also try diagonally upward from your hand pressed against your chest and having the skin between index and thumb push upward, here you will have more room for resistance, but eventually you hit the larynx and create gag reflex.

3.- Too much counterleverage, as shown by kashiwazaki, the "cutting side" of the scissors created by the sode guruma must be as tight as its possible, people aiming at the blood make it big enough so it can get there, but when they aim the trachea they use the same lenght as if they were trying for the blood and then give up and aim the trachea, its not going to cut it because you are giving your triceps and back less leverage against the neck.

In the end trachea hitting its not a brute strength choke, its a choke with its own intricate details that need to be addressed. You will probably learn it when some BJJ guy that its famous "discovers it" ( which is basically seeing in in other grappling or genuinely rediscovering).

I recommend shimewaza by kashiwazaki.

Yeah because MMA fighters have different physiology than BJJ practitiones, completely different species.

You realize that Ezekiel didn't even existed in BJJ until the late 80s?

Uh huh. Carlson Gracie Sr and his team. were doing it in the 60's. Where do you get your info?

from out of his ass if I had to guess

it's a pretty popular judo sub, I have trouble believing none of the gracies picked it up early on

Back