Eye Pokes

dipstickjimmy

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
With the open gloves and no change in sight I was wondering why a fighter who gets poked in the eye isn't given any treatment? Rinse the eye with saline solution, ice the eye etc.

Smart ass comments welcome but I was hoping someone has some actual insight as to why this is the case.

I like how the PFL Judges just delivered some justice to Rory for his multiple eyepokes.

You don't immediately get your balls massaged or iced when hit below the belt. You don't immediately get your face iced when hit with an illegal blow. Eye's shouldn't get any special treatment either.

Just Bleed

I think a nut shot/eye poke should be an automatic point deduction. It completely changes the other fighters mindset and where the fight goes.

A fence grab, when about to be taken down should be a restart on the feet.

I think a nut shot/eye poke should be an automatic point deduction. It completely changes the other fighters mindset and where the fight goes.

A fence grab, when about to be taken down should be a restart on the feet.
Did you write that correctly? Grabbing the fence to stop a TD should be rewarded with a restart on the feet?

I like how the PFL Judges just delivered some justice to Rory for his multiple eyepokes.
I get what you are saying but I disagree. Incompetent judges is an even larger problem in MMA then eye pokes.

Did you write that correctly? Grabbing the fence to stop a TD should be rewarded with a restart on the feet?

Yes. Where else they going to restart it? Blatant cage grab to prevent a takedown should be reset in the middle.

I would say restart the fight with the other guy who didn't cheat on top. But that's never happened and never will.

Do you mean some sort of asap treatment while the fight is momentarily halted?

I believe some eye treatments may exacerbate the pain potentially short term.
Yes I mean while the action is paused. I can't see (no pun intended) ice or a saline rinse doing any harm.

Yes. Where else they going to restart it? Blatant cage grab to prevent a takedown should be reset in the middle.
If the cage prevented the td why wouldn’t they reset it in guard?

If the cage prevented the td why wouldn’t they reset it in guard?

They should do, but it never happens. Just gets restarted on the feet.

I would say restart the fight with the other guy who didn't cheat on top. But that's never happened and never will.
I would say if we were to put in stricter rules where a nut shot or an eye poke is an immediate point deduction then a fence grab should be either a) a point deduction or b) action is started with opponent in top control (half guard, full guard etc). Personally I think the opponent should get the choice.

If I am Damian Maia I might want the top position rather than the point and a restart in the middle standing. Conversely if there is short time in the round I may want the point. Offenders are rewarded far too much.

Reactions: TCE
I would say if we were to put in stricter rules where a nut shot or an eye poke is an immediate point deduction then a fence grab should be either a) a point deduction or b) action is started with opponent in top control (half guard, full guard etc). Personally I think the opponent should get the choice.

If I am Damian Maia I might want the top position rather than the point and a restart in the middle standing. Conversely if there is short time in the round I may want the point. Offenders are rewarded far too much.

I agree with all of this. It's true, and it fucks up the fights all the time.

Everyone's gameplan should be to get a boot in the nuts on his opponent, then after, aim for the eye. Because all they get is a warning, and it will give them an advantage going forward.

I did, but it didn't make your original suggestion any better.

It doesn't, but it's never happened. I've never seen a fight restart with a guy in guard on top unless it was an upkick or something.

Restart it on the feet. That's what they do now, so be it.

I've heard that the UFC was working on the glove thing. Something about a Wittman prototype but maybe him not wanting to give UFC exclusive rights? I don't know. I think I heard it all from another sherbro but they were confident... so it has to be accurate.

Until my hands break I will continue to type this: Pride Gloves. Hardly any issues with the eyes and plenty of subs. Or something like them.

Because it happens too often for them to always deduct a point.

It doesn't, but it's never happened. I've never seen a fight restart with a guy in guard on top unless it was an upkick or something.

Restart it on the feet. That's what they do now, so be it.

Your statement was "A fence grab, when about to be taken down should be a restart on the feet."

If you want to backtrack then that's up to you.

Back