Eye pokes and groin shots as momentum change?

Ibn

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How many times has an eye poke or groin shot changed momentum in a fight? Since it seems you get a free one for a non-deliberate action.

How many times has an eye poke or groin shot changed momentum in a fight? Since it seems you get a free one for a non-deliberate action.

I've seen dozens... It's a great strategy. Not too "fair", but it works.

It changed the fight Sat for sure

I remember some UFC fight last year where some mid-tier black guy (don't remember his name) was kicked to the nuts in the second round and was nearly crying. He continued, but seemed to be 3 times weaker after this groin shot. So yes, it changes the course of the fight when applied in the right moment.

if by for sure you mean not at all, i agree.

It seemed to affect the round somewhat. Jones was more successful immediately afterward than he was immediately prior.

I do not think it changed the fight long term. Did being poked in the eye really cause Cormier to gas out the way he did? Because that is what killed his chances in the fight.

changed the outcome of Trigg/Hughes...almost

Last edited:
It sure can change de momentum due to the stopping of the fight and all.

But that was not the case last saturday. At all.

Dan Henderson vs. Rich Franklin comes to mind.

Dan was ahead on the scorecards in the third but gassing bigtime. Rich was pouring it on and may have been able to get the finish.

Then Dan lands a low kick (that, while I cant prove it, was probably intentional) and got a rest. Rich lost his momentum and lost via decision

Jones sucks out fighters' energy and spirit with his fingertips apparently.

It seemed to affect the round somewhat. Jones was more successful immediately afterward than he was immediately prior.

I do not think it changed the fight long term. Did being poked in the eye really cause Cormier to gas out the way he did? Because that is what killed his chances in the fight.

Yea I remember people pointing out that as soon as Gus landed his eye poke he went on to KO Jimi.

Yea I remember people pointing out that as soon as Gus landed his eye poke he went on to KO Jimi.

Similar to the Faber fight. Jones is by no means the only guy who has used illegal strikes to his advantage.

He does seem to be the highest profile fighter who consistently uses the threat of eyepokes sprinkled with a few actual eyepokes as a stratagem.

Back