eye opening/leveling up...

FXG

Orange Belt
Reaction score
does anyone else have eye opening experiences with grappling/JJ. I have had 2 such experiences in which i have that "ah ha" moment and start executing techniques that i could even understand before..

to put it in video game terms, i fell like i have just leveled up...

-----

On another unrelated note, some of the mods on here are ridiculous. a friend of mine has been a member for 5 years and an avid contributor to the Heavies. He is a wrestler and many of his opinions of mma are unpopular due to the extreme wrestler hate. But he wasn't a troll or ever fighter bashed and his 5 year old account was banned and all his threads were deleted by an asshole mod who didn't agree with him. this is a community, we have debates. If every one agreed than this forum would be shit.
It feels like communism. just saying, WTF??

In summary

leveling up: good

banning: bad

got it.

Strangely everytime I come back from a grappling hiatus I find myself rolling more fluidly and more dynamic.

The downside is that I forget all the techniques I learn, probably because I don't drill them enough.

i DEFINITELY know how you feel... i have been banned for unpopular opinions
before aswell. my 1st account was a Aug 2007. sorry to hear about your friend..

as for the first question... my game for sure took a turn for the better the day i relised with my long arms i could get an amerikiana from inside of the guard. and more recently, i have discoved that if i get one under hook and wrist control with the other hand.. i can kick my leg up and over on top my opponents wrist, then pull guard and its a guarenteed triangle.... full proof every time. definitely feel leveled up after those 2 things

Last edited:
i DEFINITELY know how you feel... i have been banned for unpopular opinions
before aswell. my 1st account was a Aug 2007. sorry to hear about your friend..

as for the first question... my game for sure took a turn for the better the day i relised with my long arms i could get an amerikiana from inside of the guard. and more recently, i have discoved that if i get one under hook and wrist control with the other hand.. i can kick my leg up and over on top my opponents wrist, then pull guard and its a guarenteed triangle.... full proof every time. definitely feel leveled up after those 2 things

I'm not sure what position your doing the second from, but NEVER o an american when your inside somebodies guard. you have just leveled back down =/.

my game for sure took a turn for the better the day i relised with my long arms i could get an amerikiana from inside of the guard.2 things

swept_away_logo.gif

I have no idea what the fuck you just said, but I feel ya.

I had my first of these moments last night. I have been working on developing a half-guard game as it's where I feel very comfrotable. Closed guard is difficult for me as I have short stubby tree trunk legs. I was constantly getting either choked or passed and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. My instructor pointed out that I wasn't underneath my opponent enough to setup the sweeps and the submissions I've been looking for. Once I got my head and lapels out of harms way and underneath my opponent, my half-guard game took a turn from abysmal to "eh....it's alright". I'll get there with more practice but I'm really excited to go back tonight.

I'm not sure what position your doing the second from, but NEVER o an american when your inside somebodies guard. you have just leveled back down =/.

other than the threat of getting arm barred.. i've had a pretty good amount of success with it.

the 2nd one is from standing..

other than the threat of getting arm barred.. i've had a pretty good amount of success with it.

the 2nd one is from standing..

You're doing it with the wrong people. Do it to someone a belt or two higher than you. You'll see why the old adage of position before submission holds true.

Yeah, I leveled up after I realized that it's really not so important to get any specific submission, or even submit at all. Just get on top and stay on top and you win. Don't be mentally attached to armbars, triangle chokes, specific sweeps, being in mount as opposed to side control, etc. Just get on top and stay there, pressure the guy, and eventually either you win on points or you catch a sub. Just don't get so attached to any one idea that you get reversed.

Back